Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Built HP90 Limits?

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
I think another would be the gear ratio options that can be custom set for the individual car. The 1st and 2nd ratios can be matched for the power and weight. Remember when we were comparing ratios and found that when you were leaving in 2nd with the 3.09 rear, your leave ratio was almost identical to my 1st gear with the 3.40 rear. Since then.... I'm removing close to 800 lbs from the car and will be making a little more power. The new and improved 400 I have now has taller 1st and second gears in it now. I will be getting out much further in 1st with this setup than before.
How high are you planning on revving that thing? I'm out of gear with my current setup after 6th with my 3.09 rear which is the same 1:1 as a standard th400.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
A word (opinion) on the DD “Street” car vs “Race” car. These things when tuned and set up properly could be driven all day long on the street. That includes the T400. If one of your requirements is getting out on the Interstate and going cross country at 80 mph then… that’s not very practical as far as fuel mileage goes. Doable but… 😬. We have a car that is built (equipped) to do the Race Week/Power Tour stuff. That’s a cross country drive with multiple race track stops during a week long event. It’s a Dodge Magnum with a 430ci Hellcat/Whipple DragPak/T400. Management is via Holley EFI (Dominator). That thing runs like a grocery getter. This is of coarse a “race” car. But it is also a street car. I rode in it 120 miles the other night to do some testing down in Mexico and it purred like a kitten at 75mph out on I-15. It’s got all the required street stuff… lights, turn signals… even a horn. Point is….. in todays computer performance world, monster cars making thousands of hp can be docile street comfortable drivers too.
Gear vendors.

Just easier to deal with than swapping in a 4l80

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
This is an interesting thread, as I started looking at Scat Packs to build a wild car out of. Since im going to replace a bunch of stuff, why start with a Hellcat???

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
How high are you planning on revving that thing? I'm out of gear with my current setup after 6th with my 3.09 rear which is the same 1:1 as a standard th400.
A new 401 is in progress right now and that is going to be a rpm capable motor. Im planning on shifting at 7500 to start but we’ll have to wait and see how it likes it. It’s going to be built to go 9000+ as far as the parts go, so spinning it that tight in the lights won’t be a problem. As long as the power doesn’t fall off too much we’ll see how tight we can get that converter at the finish line. I’m not planning on spraying so we’ve got a little leeway, unlike you spraying a 1000 shot like you do. 😂. Also…. Running the 9” gives me more rear gear options to make adjustments if necessary.