Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Bullitt Car at Mecum Friday

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
How would that chase play out today? Current Bullitt vs 392SRT Charger? 😂
Gas Monkey did a tribute car and chase remake recently. Pretty entertaining.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I really didn't think the car would bring that much but after taking it around the country displaying it for the last year, it must of got everyone excited on what it was. I did see it at the Detroit auto show a year ago

I watched the chase back in the 80's many many times before I ever saw the whole movie which was in 2004 at a drive in which I was in my 2001 Mustang Bullitt

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 6.46.11 AM.png

RedEye19FL

Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradenton
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 TorRed Challenger RedEye
Ya know, I think it would be fun to have a exact replica to drive around, but paying that much for a car in that condition, whatever the hysterical value, just not my cup of tea.:)

OP
Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #107

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
I don’t think the guy that bought it is too worried about parting with that money. It’s like peanuts to him. I would like to learn from that fool.
I leaned over to my wife and told her I would get this response within 30 minutes... she lost the bet. :)

Thank you for your response.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Something to consider...... the guy who finds the car wants to cash out but who knows what it’s worth. Along comes Mecum and offers him one million dollars cash along with a no disclosure agreement. Them the “owner” puts it up for auction with no reserve. Mecum has a couple of “unknown” bidders run it up to over 3 million. Now we know “what it’s worth”. The car disappears for a year or two. Big mystery! Who knows where it went? Then.... it reappears back for sale on Mecum. We now all know it’s worth over 3 million because that’s what it sold for. Does anybody smell BS? I personally think there is a world of shill bidding and back room dealings going on in the collector car auction world. Who wants to bet that car shows back up on the Mecum stage again within the next two years?

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
This sort of thing does happen, that is all part of the auction game. Experienced buyers should know this. One tactic if you think the 'house' is biding is to bid fast like your going to keep going and stop suddenly (on a car that you don't have to have.) Sticking them with the winning bid. They will get the message.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Something to consider...... the guy who finds the car wants to cash out but who knows what it’s worth. Along comes Mecum and offers him one million dollars cash along with a no disclosure agreement. Them the “owner” puts it up for auction with no reserve. Mecum has a couple of “unknown” bidders run it up to over 3 million. Now we know “what it’s worth”. The car disappears for a year or two. Big mystery! Who knows where it went? Then.... it reappears back for sale on Mecum. We now all know it’s worth over 3 million because that’s what it sold for. Does anybody smell BS? I personally think there is a world of shill bidding and back room dealings going on in the collector car auction world. Who wants to bet that car shows back up on the Mecum stage again within the next two years?
Creating false markets is nothing new. When supply and demand is a single item and a bunch of people who need to bury equity into something that has a contrived value applied to it (because it's 1 of 1 with this combination of stupid options) is very common. Then the merry-go-round of investors keeps driving the cost up we get what we see every January for the last 20 years at Barrett Jerkoff with unprecedented and unjustified (other than claimed rarity and exclusivity) escalation.

Same way pre-distressed clothing is costs more than a sound pair of jeans. Because it is fashionable - someone in a position of self-appointed authority says it is, and because you want it to be and the means to buy in to gain approval. Zero integrity.

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
Has the identity of the buyer been revealed?

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Has the identity of the buyer been revealed?
I haven't seen anything yet. It looked to me like the buyer was on the phone yesterday when I watched the show. I still hope that the McQueen family are the buyers. I think they would actually appreciate having the car vs. someone else.

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
I watched the auction clip. Neat I suppose for it being such a spectacle. Like the main event if you will.

It also got me to watch the "Bullitt" chase scenes via yt. I still like it. I know we watch things more technically now as for realism(errors). Maybe the best part is when Bullitt appears in the rear view mirror of the bad guys Charger. C'mon that's pretty good.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I can see it now 20 years from now HELLNOS CHALLENGER HELLCAT going for a measly 5.4 million

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Crazy s rustang selling for that much

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I watched the auction clip. Neat I suppose for it being such a spectacle. Like the main event if you will.

It also got me to watch the "Bullitt" chase scenes via yt. I still like it. I know we watch things more technically now as for realism(errors). Maybe the best part is when Bullitt appears in the rear view mirror of the bad guys Charger. C'mon that's pretty good.
Yeah, that's good.
Mine is when the Charger driver clicks his seatbelt and does that left turn burnout that starts the main part of the chase.

IncompleteSmoggyBluefintuna-size_restricted.gif

OP
Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #118
Yeah, that's good.
Mine is when the Charger driver clicks his seatbelt and does that left turn burnout that starts the main part of the chase.

View attachment 10265
The music at the beginning of the chase is classic. Really top notch.

OP
Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #119
I leaned over to my wife and told her I would get this response within 30 minutes... she lost the bet. :)

Thank you for your response.
I hope you made out on that bet? What’s my nut?

TEXAS REDEYE

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
PASADENA
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 HELLCAT RED EYE
I do love, appreciate, and understand history......however, this Bullit car looked like an old beat up piece of crap, that was just a couple of steps ahead of the car crusher at the local scrap yard.