Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Bypass Air Bag Light when removing Seat/Seats

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
I took the info that Pete posted in the other forum and info I learned from members buying full on Hellcat Harnesses for me to cut apart and learn from, and now I can now make bypass harnesses for 2015 - 2019 both Pass and Drivers side. I am now making them with all resistors. No seat belt buckle needed anymore. So, they are cheaper to build and more compact. I also make the Windshield Washer Bottle level foolers if someone wants one of those. All this does is make the AirBag light in the dash go out. So, if you are like me and do not like warning lights on. The main reason I got involved in this is because you may not pass Tech at some tracks with your AirBag light on and my Friends and Forum Members were asking me to make them. My local track, Irwindale, will not let you race with the AirBag light on.

MY SET.jpg

Last edited:

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Hey Ron... are you making these available for purchase?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
If your making them for sell ? ….I'll take 1 pass. side , how much ?

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #4
Hey Ron... are you making these available for purchase?
Yes, for forum members. I do not call it a buisness and I am not advertising anywhere other than posting info on the 2 forums. Like I said, if someone wants to build their own I will share info and help them.......

PM what you want and which side year and model car......just to be sure.

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #5
If your making them for sell ? ….I'll take 1 pass. side , how much ?
Right now I am paying $44 plus shipping just for the harness to cut apart. Literally just to get that yellow connector and 8 pins with 4" of wire. I do have a slightly cheaper alternative ordered but do not have them yet or even know if they will work. Surprisingly I looked under the seat of my 2018 Ram and it uses the same connector. Or not surprisingly. So I have those ordered. And I can order $1.49 of resistors and it costs $8 to ship. So, after about 3 go rounds I ordered a bunch all at once.

So the price may change someday. Right now I want $125 shipped USPS Priority mail flat rate small box. $175-$185 with the redundant seat belt buckle, for the drivers side.

Last edited:

srtdusty

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Indian Mound
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger
Ok I think I have one of the first sets of bypass harness‘ made by Ron for the 15/16. I tested both my 15 HC Charger and 16 HC Challenger in the same manner.
step 1. Start the car with everything connected in factory settings. Allowed the airbag to self test and light went out
D24C505A-BBF6-469D-B95E-631B404FCE30.jpeg

Step 2. Unplug both factory harness from the seat and start the cars. I let them run for a bit
F7574326-6F2D-46DA-866B-91037E0C35FB.jpeg

Step 3. Plug in both bypass harness’ start the car and let run for awhile. Airbag went out in normal time.
FCE2390E-BD37-4E7B-B566-CF1B8A5B08AB.jpeg

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Ok I think I have one of the first sets of bypass harness‘ made by Ron for the 15/16. I tested both my 15 HC Charger and 16 HC Challenger in the same manner.
step 1. Start the car with everything connected in factory settings. Allowed the airbag to self test and light went out
View attachment 6208

Step 2. Unplug both factory harness from the seat and start the cars. I let them run for a bit
View attachment 6210

Step 3. Plug in both bypass harness’ start the car and let run for awhile. Airbag went out in normal time.
View attachment 6211
why is seatbelt light on in pic 3 ? …..does it stay on with bypass plug ?

Last edited:

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Right now I am paying $44 plus shipping just for the harness to cut apart. Literally just to get that yellow connector and 8 pins with 4" of wire. I do have a slightly cheaper alternative ordered but do not have them yet or even know if they will work. Surprisingly I looked under the seat of my 2018 Ram and it uses the same connector. Or not surprisingly. So I have those ordered. And I can order $1.49 of resistors and it costs $8 to ship. So, after about 3 go rounds I ordered a bunch all at once.

So the price may change someday. Right now I want $125 shipped USPS Priority mail flat rate small box. They were $175 with the redundant seat belt buckle, then I figured out a work around with resistors that cost a few cents VS $50.
OK , does your bypass plug turn off seatbelt light too or just the airbag light ?

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #9
OK , does your bypass plug turn off seatbelt light too or just the airbag light ?
I only said it will turn off the airbag light. But if you want the seat belt light to remain off then it will require a redundant seat belt buckle that would add substantial cost or the harnesses can be made so you can unbolt your OEM buckle off your seat and use that for no extra charge.

This is the redundant buckle version. I am pretty sure you would have to plug in a clasp into the drivers side to eliminate the seat belt light. They can be bought on E-Bay to eliminate the chime.... RITTER.jpg s-l640.jpg

Last edited:

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Yeah , if I do this ?.. I would want both lights off or no lights on the dash. I only want the passenger seat bypass for when I take the seat out for the track ( temporary use). It might not even be worth it for temporary use , prob. best for permanent use ?
Thanks for info.

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #11
Most Guys want the redundant buckle. For convinience if switching back and forth. Also it's lighter the way I make it and can be hidden easier. either verson will not have the seat belt light on, on a 17 Hellcat Pass side only. Pm me when you are ready. I have some parts in stock right now. Otherwise I would have to order them from a Dodge Dealer (mail order so it take 2 weeks on average).

srtdusty

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Indian Mound
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger
why is seatbelt light on in pic 3 ? …..does it stay on with bypass plug ?
I didn’t have my (drivers) seatbelt fastened. When I fastened it the light goes out.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I didn’t have my (drivers) seatbelt fastened. When I fastened it the light goes out.
Did you do the bypass plug for both seats or just the passenger seat ?
Thanks.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Hey Ron, have you tried reaching out to any "auto recyclers" to see if you could buy the part of the harness you need for $5-$10?
I imagine they would be pretty easy to cut out of a car and shipping would be next to nothing.
Otherwise, if you give me the part number of the harness you're buying, I may be able to find a source for the plug. Then you'll be in it $10 for the pliers to do the pin-out and be way ahead.

srtdusty

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Indian Mound
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger
Did you do the bypass plug for both seats or just the passenger seat ?
Thanks.
I've tested with just the passenger seat in “bypass” mode, and driver seat factory. When seatbelt fastened no lights

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Good stuff.

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #17
Hey Ron, have you tried reaching out to any "auto recyclers" to see if you could buy the part of the harness you need for $5-$10?
I imagine they would be pretty easy to cut out of a car and shipping would be next to nothing.
Otherwise, if you give me the part number of the harness you're buying, I may be able to find a source for the plug. Then you'll be in it $10 for the pliers to do the pin-out and be way ahead.
I have looked into cheaper alternatives. But to do the junk yard thing I think I need to be there in person and then how many do they have in each yard and will they give them up? The seat is bastardised when you cut off these wires and connector. The actual connector kit from Dodge is $66 the good guy price.
I might go to pick a part and see what they have nowadays. Clip Clip Clip..........

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #18
srtdusty has been very helpful with feedback and testing these. So, what we discovered is that I am able to fool the Pass side with all resistors. No buckle needed. The car is happy with resistors where the buckle is. So with the Pass only all resistors you will not have an airbag light and you will not have a seat belt light once you buckle the drivers side seat belt. BUT : I have not and probably never will be able to fool the drivers side seat belt. Because there is a difference in what the car wants. For the passenger side the bypass is making the car think there is an unoccupied seat and can be fooled with resistors. For the drivers side the car wants to see a "buckled seat belt". The difference is the drivers side does NOT have an occupancy sensor. A person present in the drivers seat is assumed. Duh! The buckle has a Hall Effect sensor and it cannot be fooled with resistors. As far as I know the Module in the car applies a voltage on the buckle circut and is looking for feedback of some sort. Also polarity on the actual buckle circut does matter. So, another thing that can go wrong.

srtdusty's second set going out (this set should take care of the seat belt light from the drivers side) and one other members set just finished.
1116191709a.jpg

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sheboygan
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
I took the info that Pete posted in the other forum and info I learned from members buying full on Hellcat Harnesses for me to cut apart and learn from, and now I can now make bypass harnesses for 2015 - 2019 both Pass and Drivers side. I am now making them with all resistors. No seat belt buckle needed anymore. So, they are cheaper to build and more compact. I also make the Windshield Washer Bottle level foolers if someone wants one of those. All this does is make the AirBag light in the dash go out. So, if you are like me and do not like warning lights on. The main reason I got involved in this is because you may not pass Tech at some tracks with your AirBag light on and my Friends and Forum Members were asking me to make them. My local track, Irwindale, will not let you race with the AirBag light on.

I also will help ANYONE with the info needed if you want to make your own. Keep in mind, you need to buy an OEM harness to cut apart (Pete was right, it's much cheaper than the repair kit) , resistors, heat shrink, tape, solder etc.... View attachment 6167 View attachment 6168
If tazer or whoever would work on good stuff like this instead of stupid light shows for cars it would be really nice.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
If tazer or whoever would work on good stuff like this instead of stupid light shows for cars it would be really nice.
I actually texted him about this in July and he was nice enough to respond. He said they looked into it but "there are so many liability risks we didn't move forward with it".