Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Ceramic Coating and PPF

HarleyHetz

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
ARLINGTON
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Sublime Widebody Challenger Hellcat
If you have Ceramic Coating and/or PPF what did you get, and knowing what you know now, would you get it again?
Am getting my kitty soon and these are a couple of the things I am looking at getting done first...
Thanks guys!!

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
PPF is absolutely necessary, especially if you have a dark color or a color that really pops. Ceramic coating is nice but not necessary IMO. Have't coated my new car yet but I've done my past 3 cars and I'm just not convinced it is absolutely necessary and still requires some maintenance after you do it. I did put PPF on in the first week I got it. Can't undo paint chips...

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Charger, 2021 Hellcat Durango
If you have Ceramic Coating and/or PPF what did you get, and knowing what you know now, would you get it again?
Am getting my kitty soon and these are a couple of the things I am looking at getting done first...
Thanks guys!!
Down East Auto Accents in Fayetteville, NC did my PPF. All I know is its a 4mm film that self heals made by 3M. The hurricane delayed install for a month but he was able to go back and paint correct all the rock chips from the trucks up here in DC to the point I cant even tell where they were. He did the full front bumper, 8" on the hood, headlights, mirrors, door handle cups, rear bumper decklid, quarter panels on both front and back. Best 1100$ I have ever spent on a car. It washes so easily.

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
No 3m film is 4mm, the scotchgard film is 8MIL thick. The top film makers are 7-8MIL, there are some that are thinner.

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Got em both, Xpel Ultimate PPF on the entire front with Cquartz Finest over the entire car. In the sunlight, my kitty looks like she's just been dipped in a bucket of TorRed paint. Also, get a catch can and rock guards from ZL1 add-ons as your first mods too.

I would do the process all over again. My cat's a neck breaker.

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
No 3m film is 4mm, the scotchgard film is 8MIL thick. The top film makers are 7-8MIL, there are some that are thinner.
Then I have 8mm film, but when I was typing it didn't seem right too me. Seems my first instinct was right.

Tannehill

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
New castle
State
DE
Country
United States
Then I have 8mm film, but when I was typing it didn't seem right too me. Seems my first instinct was right.
Mils, not millimeters. 1 Mil is = to 0.0254 mm

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
Again, sorry. We were talking about millimeter measurements in my office while I was typing. Yes, in mils. Millimeter would be sooooooooo thick lol.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanaimo
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I was wondering the same thing about ceramic coating. I’m thinking about a Charger - one with F8 and the other with Octane Red. I’d like to do something to protect and enhance the paint. What’s PPF? Is that clear bra? I’m also thinking about window tint. Any opinions on a certain type? TIA!

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
Most reputable tint places will give you a lifetime warranty on tint. I believe mine is also 3M. I’ll look at warranty paperwork in the am if it’s not 3M I’ll update this with brand and version. PPF is paint protection film aka clear bra.

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Definitely recommend PPF. There are several on the market that are top quality. Can't go wrong with Xpel or SunTek. Find the best installer in your area and see what he feels most comfortable working with. Most top installers have a favorite they're used to working with. If you decide on Ceramic coating be sure a quality paint correction is done. CQuartzPro from CarPro IMO is one of the best. https://cqfinest.com/services/cquartz-professional/ The before and after of my B5 Blue Redeye was incredible. Expensive yes but I would do it again. The depth, clarity and pop was beyond my expectations. Depending on the color (metallic/pearl) of course will determine just how much it pops over the factory finish.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
For paint protection film, I have x-pel ultimate and I would recommend googling a local installer. For tint I would recommend llumar ceramic 15% and like I said, even if you do coat your car you still have to clay bar it and seal it with Reload every 6 months. Having a professional detail, then waterless washing and applying Reload by Carpro which is a silica sealant every 4 months or so, you end up in about the same place for so much less $$$

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
if you do coat your car you still have to clay bar it and seal it with Reload every 6 months. Having a professional detail, then waterless washing and applying Reload by Carpro which is a silica sealant every 4 months or so, you end up in about the same place for so much less $$$
Clay and seal every 6 mos? I don't believe that's correct unless it's a DD and you're not taking care of it. Maybe parking under trees dropping sap, bird bombs, an area where there are a bunch of air contaminants (working at an Industrial facility), over spray by other means but I def do not see having to clay the car every 6 mos. At least not with CQuartz Pro. You only need to use the Reload every 4 or 6 washes if you're using some pretty strong detergents. Simple silica spray application similar to your fav detail mist. Light spray, wipe/dry with quality micro-fiber towel. Easy breezy.

Last edited:

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
Another good reason to have PPF. This morning on my way in to the office (DC area) I had a landscaping truck cross over in front of me, hit a bump, and rocks and pieces of shrubbery, dirt, you name it flew all over the front of my car. I was so pissed, there was no where for me to go. It was so bad I thought he had a blowout because of all the shit flying all over my car. Then I remembered I had just put PPF and took a breath and calmed down. THEN I fkn floored it and cut him off and gave him the 1 finger salute.

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Another good reason to have PPF. This morning on my way in to the office (DC area) I had a landscaping truck cross over in front of me, hit a bump, and rocks and pieces of shrubbery, dirt, you name it flew all over the front of my car. I was so pissed, there was no where for me to go. It was so bad I thought he had a blowout because of all the shit flying all over my car. Then I remembered I had just put PPF and took a breath and calmed down. THEN I fkn floored it and cut him off and gave him the 1 finger salute.
Similar thing happened to me when I was dropping off my car for the PPF install. Talk about pissed. This was just a sh** load of mulch that got dropped in front of a couple cars ahead of me traveling 60 mph but that crap went everywhere with no place to go. Couldn't believe it...marred the lower spoiler on the passenger side. Thankfully no other areas were damaged. So yeah, if you plan on driving the car at all on public roads...get PPF installed!

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I find it interesting how everyone says Xpel or Suntek, Suntek is the thinnest film on the market, 3M invented PPF and pretty much every manufacturer that makes film uses products patented by 3M, I believe for a long time, 3M used to make Xpels film before they opened their own plant. Many installers don't use 3M because it is a difficult film to work with, it has a very strong adhesive and is one of the thickest on the market.

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Ceramic coating will protect your clear coat and paint to a degree, but to be honest, it's main purpose is for ease of cleaning. Coatings make it more difficult for things to stick to your paint, and, over time, etch into the clear. By making it easier to clean, you reduce the chances of causing swirls.

You can still quite easily introduce swirls onto a coated car, doing the same things that cause swirls on an un-coated car.

PPF is what you want if what you're looking for is actual paint protection from rocks and debris. Only PPF has the protection capabilities that many disingenuous applicators claim for coatings.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Clay and seal every 6 mos? I don't believe that's correct unless it's a DD and you're not taking care of it. Maybe parking under trees dropping sap, bird bombs, an area where there are a bunch of air contaminants (working at an Industrial facility), over spray by other means but I def do not see having to clay the car every 6 mos. At least not with CQuartz Pro. You only need to use the Reload every 4 or 6 washes if you're using some pretty strong detergents. Simple silica spray application similar to your fav detail mist. Light spray, wipe/dry with quality micro-fiber towel. Easy breezy.
I've been told by installers that if you want to keep your coating's warranty, they want to be able to watch you waterless wash your car, and they can require clay bar/sealant treatments every 6 months. I have two close friends in the business.

I do daily drive my car and live in the desert. I do have my car in a garage though whenever I'm at home. My first challenger I had Cquartz Finest on it, Opti-Coat Pro on the Scat Pack, and those coatings do need to be refreshed with a sealant to keep their hyrdo-phobic qualities at that amazing level like right when they are applied. That's been my experience anyway, but again my car is out and driven almost every day. That's the best part about this car is driving it all the time IMO! :)

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
I've been told by installers that if you want to keep your coating's warranty, they want to be able to watch you waterless wash your car, and they can require clay bar/sealant treatments every 6 months. I have two close friends in the business.

I do daily drive my car and live in the desert. I do have my car in a garage though whenever I'm at home. My first challenger I had Cquartz Finest on it, Opti-Coat Pro on the Scat Pack, and those coatings do need to be refreshed with a sealant to keep their hyrdo-phobic qualities at that amazing level like right when they are applied. That's been my experience anyway, but again my car is out and driven almost every day. That's the best part about this car is driving it all the time IMO! :)
I sent an email to the quartz installer and here is what he said:
Distinctive Detailing Inquiry
Inbox
x

Sean Hogue <sean@ddncpro.com>
Thu, Oct 10, 1:04 PM (21 hours ago)

to me

Tim,

Congratulations on the new Hellcat. That is great that you are looking for true protection for your investment. Enhancing, preserving and protecting the vehicle's finish is a very important aspect of extending the service life of the vehicle.

CarPro is the original pioneer of coatings in the US. Cquartz Finest Reserve is the top pro level coating, and it is amazing! Its properties and durability far exceed other "pro" coatings on the market. It just adds an amazing amount of richness and depth to the color of the vehicle, as well as gloss. CQuartz Professional is our entry level Pro coating. It is also a great coating very slick and hydrophobic while adding great protection and depth to the paint. All of this with a lower price point than Finest Reserve. While CarPro offers a 3 year warranty with CQuartz Finest Reserve and a 2 year warranty for CQuartz Professional, I offer an additional 2 years with just a few simple straight forward requirements 1. Keep it garaged 2. Have me do a maintenance and inspection detail every 6 months 3. Properly care for your vehicle with the products I supply you. A clear and concise warranty. No fine print and yes, you read that right. When you get a vehicle coating with Distinctive Detailing, we give you all the detailing products and even some equipment that you need to properly care for your vehicle. This Coating Customer Care package (Chemicals, Grit Guards, The finest microfiber Wash Mitts and Detailing and Drying Towels) is something extra I do for my customers. It makes caring for their vehicle that much more enjoyable. Distinctive Detailing is passionate about supporting our customers. Even after 5 years, we will continue our support to you as a coating customer for many more years.

As far as pricing, I would have to inspect paint on your vehicle to give you a quote, but Finest Reserve is around $3,500 for your vehicle and CQuartz Professional is around $2,500. If you would like to have CQuartz Protection while trying to keep cost down, I do offer CQuartz UK 3.0 coating with a 2 stage paint correction/refinement starting at $1,750. For a single stage polish/enhancement and CQuartz UK 3.0 starts at $1,500. We also have additional protection options that can be added like Wheel, leather and even glass coating. I can give you pricing and additional information on those as well.

I am including some great videos so that you can see some of the products and what I do. I am also including pictures a few client's vehicles as well as my state of the art climate controlled detailing studio. It is the first and only one in NC. If you are looking for the best detailing, coating and service experience for protecting your investment, Distinctive Detailing is the only choice. Check out our Facebook Page @Distinctive Detailing NC for more up to date completed projects. As long as there are no exceptions to the everything I talked about, the next step is to set up a consultation. I come out and look at your vehicle and discuss which options best fit you and your vehicle. I have some availability mid afternoon Friday or Saturday, which day would you prefer?

Tannehill

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
New castle
State
DE
Country
United States
Probably going to get flamed, but I'm putting on my suit and here goes:

I use to detail....not as a personal business, but as a job through junior college, learned from a guy who previously owned a business. Family worked in various areas of car business and we all love cars and take care of them. So, I can respect time, attention to detail, and a beautiful and clean car. With that said, I find the price for the application and use of any of the CQuartz style stuff simply.....OUT-RAGEOUS! I've never had this shit done, and I probably never will. ESPECIALLY if the car is 100% garage kept and out of the elements most of the time (interesting the guy SpecialOps quoted "requires" this for his warranty....it's simple, to make his "warranty" work basically unneeded!). It looks pretty, but the cost/benefit is ridiculous. By all means, if anyone wants to spend their money on it, awesome, go for it. However, it's not going to be an overwhelming difference in the long run to anyone who properly washes and waxes and cares for their car on a regular basis. Plus, this stuff requires upkeep time as well. Furthermore, most people who have this done already take care of their cars well, or, get rid of them for the new coolest thing well before this stuff provides a benefit.

Buy a couple good wash mitts and drying towels, a decent car wash soap, a good polish and sealer, and use a little elbow grease every couple months and save yourself $2375-$3375.

I do like the PPF stuff.