Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

challenger srt8 performance vs Jeep 392

Member ID
Reactions
City
TAOS SKI VALLEY
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2011 srt8 challenger
I have not seen anyone asking questions about the srt8 392 Challenger performance numbers/test numbers in regards to the Jeep 392. It seems the Jeep Wrangler 392 (and others like the Grand Cherokee 392) weigh about 800 pounds more and do the quarter mile just 3-5 tenth
of a second slower than the Challenger/Charger 392. 0-60 are almost even.
Questions: (it cant just be 4WD related....specially in quarter mile, look at the aerodynamics of a Jeep too..!?)
1. Is it the axle ratios? If yes, how can you make the Challenger faster like that too?
2. Any thoughts of actual power output in 392 Jeeps? or other reasons why?
Thoughts?

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
The jeep SRT Cherokee will do the quarter mile in 13.8 seconds and 0 to 60 in 5.1.. 392 charger i used to own would do the quarter mile in 12.4 seconds and 0 to 60 in 4.6 on the street.. so it’s actually about a half a second or more to 0 to 60.. Quarter mile it’s almost a second and a half slower

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
If you need the versatility go for the jeep if you’re looking for an overall more fun driving experience get the charger challenger.. I loved my 392 charger

OP
T
Member ID
Reactions
City
TAOS SKI VALLEY
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2011 srt8 challenger
Thread Starter #4
The jeep SRT Cherokee will do the quarter mile in 13.8 seconds and 0 to 60 in 5.1.. 392 charger i used to own would do the quarter mile in 12.4 seconds and 0 to 60 in 4.6 on the street.. so it’s actually about a half a second or more to 0 to 60.. Quarter mile it’s almost a second and a half slower
Matt, thank you for your input. I just saw on Autoblog that the Wrangler 392 publishes 4.6 and 13.0.
Again, numbers are not always the same and I just think about the Mustang being 300 pounds lighter and their
newest one outperforms the 392 Challenger by a hair....may be someone mathematically inclined can run the numbers but 800 pounds heavier and that close in performance....?

OP
T
Member ID
Reactions
City
TAOS SKI VALLEY
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2011 srt8 challenger
Thread Starter #5
If you need the versatility go for the jeep if you’re looking for an overall more fun driving experience get the charger challenger.. I loved my 392 charger
Agree, I love my 392 inaugural edition still, wont sell ever....

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger
The AWD of the SRT Jeep GC make it a pretty formidable opponent on the street "stoplight to stoplight" (even our 6.1 SRT Jeep). Streets are always slick with dirt, sand, oil residue, etc.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Good to see another Mopar from New Mexico on here!

The trap speeds I think show a greater difference than the e.t.s for the Jeep versus Challenger, but an 1/8 mile race between the two would probably be very close and right about at the point that the Jeep's superior launch is overcome by the lighter weight and aerodynamics and 2wd drivetrain with less resistance.

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Redeye Widebody Jailbreak
Matt, thank you for your input. I just saw on Autoblog that the Wrangler 392 publishes 4.6 and 13.0.
Again, numbers are not always the same and I just think about the Mustang being 300 pounds lighter and their
newest one outperforms the 392 Challenger by a hair....may be someone mathematically inclined can run the numbers but 800 pounds heavier and that close in performance....?
If you talk to Mustang people, they swear they beat Hellcats with stock A10 GTs and a tune. It's total BS. I used to belong to a fairly large Mustang group in NW FL. I sold the Mustang and purchased a T/A 392, A8 car in 2018 when I was still a member. I took it out and dragged a bunch of A10 Mustangs with that 392 and I didn't lose to a single one. One of them was a 650hp Vortech supercharged car. Sure, his was faster, but we raced from a dig and he couldn't get traction.

One thing you need to know about Mustang morons is that 9/10 of them only build what's in front of the firewall. Lots of power, little to no control or traction in most of their builds. My T/A was a stock engine/trans, but had performance coilovers, K member, 3.90 gear and 305 rear Michelin tires on an 11 wheel. Made all the difference. It could launch spin-free with launch control at nearly 2,000rpm. I guarantee that 392 was faster than my Hellcat to nearly the 1/8mi mark.