Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Chrysler Parent Stellantis to Stop Operations at Jeep Cherokee Factory

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
And yet, if you read the story and not just the headline or tagline, Cherokee sales went from 120,000 in 2020 to 90,000 in 2021 and less than 40,000 in 2022. Seems like that would have to more to do with it than anything and, while I'm not a fan of EVs, their EV story is just cover.
BUT - the $65M question is was that drop due to less customer demand or the lack of product made available. Lots have been very thin the last 18 months and dealers got greedy with the orders. Everyone's sales must have dropped like a rock, there simply was nothing on the lot to sell !

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
BUT - the $65M question is was that drop due to less customer demand or the lack of product made available. Lots have been very thin the last 18 months and dealers got greedy with the orders. Everyones sales musst have dropped like a rock, there simply was nothing on the lot to sell !
Imagine the lack of demand, for EV's.

What then?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer

What then?

I hope it happens.
But a bailout will come from Washington knowing full well that their voters (unions and greenies) depend on the EV car being the wave of the future.
If it fails, they are cooked. No union votes and why would greenies back Democrats when they let their dream car die?

They are putting all their eggs into this basket. If it fails, they are cooked. At least Stellantis will be. I think Ford an GM survive as they do have a balanced portfolio of electric and gas.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
WTF CC...ya made me spit out a mouthful of awesome egg nog with yer latest ascot...where in god's name did you get that one...for Christ sake it looks like a freakin giant foreskin that yer heads poppin out of...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::giggle::giggle::giggle:
He really does wear an ascot!

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
Yes we are living in a Dream being pushed by the Dreamers the Green Agenda to the max. It’s the minority brainwashing the select few to make many think it’s true. I talk about this in my YouTube videos called Dreams.
Scooby Doo called and they want their stolen wardrobe back, stat!

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
He really does wear an ascot!
WTF Dave...of course he does...did ya think I was makin this shit up..:unsure::unsure:

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
WTF Dave...of course he does...did ya think I was makin this shit up..:unsure::unsure:
I dunno

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
When COVID hit, that plant shut down immediately. Then was very slow to come back online.
Then the chip shortage.
Again, shut down immediately and would open briefly for a few weeks at a time.

Sales were not there because production was killed to save parts for higher margin products like Wranglers or TRX's. Got my TRX in Feb 21 and my Mojave in Jun 21. TRX was ordered day 1 of the reveal but the Jeep took 6 weeks to get.

During those 6 weeks, the Belvidere plant was up for 2 weeks or so if I remember correctly. Hard to sell cars that don't exist.
Stellantis had record profits off the back of the Wranglers in 2021. They can do that when you cut expenses by shutting down plants with "chip shortage" and side step that expensive union contract.
They can't make enough Wranglers!!!!

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
It's my hometown area.
That plant was 3k strong a few years ago. Many bigger FCA suppliers built factories here to support that assembly.
But the tone from the town hall meeting was - we can't close the place because of the contract but we like the savings from not having to run this plant full time.

The COVID sham allowed manufacturers to shut down plants and not violate their contract. The union workers got fucked over. And now as this contract is nearing an end, they are getting "idled" until sometime in 2024.

It really sucks for this area as it is one of the major employers in an area that has seen slow decline over the last 25 years. I expect this will really ramp up now.
The population isn't that educated. Major employers won't come here because of that, and others are leaving the state due to Governor fat fuck's policies. And he was just reelected to boot.

CAT is leaving Illinois.
The biggest finance firm in Chicago is gone. Many others are picking up as well.

Pisses me off and I'm not even directly impacted by it.
Can you get WI to carve out just a small piece of that shit state and annex you? I have a good friend in Elgin and always have been amazed at the size of the place. Owning our like eighth Jeep GC, been proud that they were made there also. Sucks for ya dude, really sucks!

Nobody is buying their coal fired new versions of vehicles powered by child slave labor dirty batteries either.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I hope it happens.
But a bailout will come from Washington knowing full well that their voters (unions and greenies) depend on the EV car being the wave of the future.
If it fails, they are cooked. No union votes and why would greenies back Democrats when they let their dream car die?

They are putting all their eggs into this basket. If it fails, they are cooked. At least Stellantis will be. I think Ford an GM survive as they do have a balanced portfolio of electric and gas.
THE UNIONS NEED TO OPEN THEIR EYES AND QUIT ENDORSING THEM. I don’t get it. Look at what he did to the RR Union, then has a press conference with the IBEW the next day and those guys have smiles. WTF?

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
BUT - the $65M question is was that drop due to less customer demand or the lack of product made available. Lots have been very thin the last 18 months and dealers got greedy with the orders. Everyone's sales must have dropped like a rock, there simply was nothing on the lot to sell !
Well, in September 2021 when I went to buy my 16-year-old his first car (which ended up being a '21 Cherokee) my local dealer had 3 compasses and 2 Cherokees on the lot. Granted, the lot was very empty but they had cars there.

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
Well, in September 2021 when I went to buy my 16-year-old his first car (which ended up being a '21 Cherokee) my local dealer had 3 compasses and 2 Cherokees on the lot. Granted, the lot was very empty but they had cars there.
We picked up our 21 Cherokee in Dec of 2020 and they had what we wanted but it was one of the only vehicles they had at the time. I drove by the lot on the way home and saw it sitting there. Went home told the wife there was one and she said she wanted it. I called the dealer and bought it over the phone without going to look at it.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

What then?

Showroom @ my local stealership has been pretty empty for the last year or so. Once they go EV I suspect they'll be able to comfortably fit the sales team into a shed on the lot & repurpose the showroom (perhaps for the ICE parts needed to keep the current fleet on the road).

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Showroom @ my local stealership has been pretty empty for the last year or so. Once they go EV I suspect they'll be able to comfortably fit the sales team into a shed on the lot & repurpose the showroom (perhaps for the ICE parts needed to keep the current fleet on the road).

The wife bought a motorcycle, last year. When we went to pick it up at the dealer, they also had these lame EV motos. I asked the sales dude how many they actually sell. He said one, in two years.

He told me their dealership is a package deal. Royal Enfield, Triumph and Zero (the EV) and that they can't drop the EV.

LOL

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The wife bought a motorcycle, last year. When we went to pick it up at the dealer, they also had these lame EV motos. I asked the sales dude how many they actually sell. He said one, in two years.

He told me their dealership is a package deal. Royal Enfield, Triumph and Zero (the EV) and that they can't drop the EV.

LOL

At least they had the decency to name it accurately - the damn things are a big ZERO !!

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
I was in the dealer the other day and they said they normally sell 180 cars a month on average. They’re on pace to sell about half that this month. Not sure if it’s because of the time of year or the economy is slowly grinding to a halt. I’m betting the latter.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
They aren’t making the Cherokee anymore - couldn’t care less. I think they also built the POS Patriot there.

Shut it down and build things that people want. More Grand Cherokees (almost 2x as much) are sold than the little Cherokee.

Don’t shut it down to build more expensive and less desirable EVs.

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
I hope it happens.

Agree, its just more insanity. I think Ford will survive, they seem to be playing both sides and positioned themselves decently to use EVs to offset the fines paid for gas guzzling trucks and mustangs. Whether the EV thing works or doesnt, they seem to have enough of a foot in both realms to survive.

GM OTOH I dont know, Looked to me like they are all in on the EV bullshit. I think all of GM has "pledged" to be ALL EV by 2030 or 2035??,with Caddy being 100% EV by like Thursday.

Toyota, isnt buying it. CEO even came out and said as much They seem to be pulling a Ford (only a bit better), keeping ice, improving hybrids while developing EVs just in case.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I was in the dealer the other day and they said they normally sell 180 cars a month on average. They’re on pace to sell about half that this month. Not sure if it’s because of the time of year or the economy is slowly grinding to a halt. I’m betting the latter.
I would think because of lack of inventory. A lot people go to a dealer and buy what they have on the lot or what the dealer can get from another lot. Most people want to buy a car today not order one and wait.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Agree, its just more insanity. I think Ford will survive, they seem to be playing both sides and positioned themselves decently to use EVs to offset the fines paid for gas guzzling trucks and mustangs. Whether the EV thing works or doesnt, they seem to have enough of a foot in both realms to survive.

GM OTOH I dont know, Looked to me like they are all in on the EV bullshit. I think all of GM has "pledged" to be ALL EV by 2030 or 2035??,with Caddy being 100% EV by like Thursday.

Toyota, isnt buying it. CEO even came out and said as much They seem to be pulling a Ford (only a bit better), keeping ice, improving hybrids while developing EVs just in case.
Not a Toyota fan but think they have it right