Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

DA Vs Altitude

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Dodge CHALLENGER HELLCAT REDEYE WIDEBODY
Not sure if this is the right spot for my question, but I'll give it a go any way. I've lived here in the high desert of El Paso for a couple of years now, and I have heard several people blame the altitude for s decrease in horsepower and performance. My question is does the altitude supercede or override good DA? I have this DA app on my phone (streets DA) that can use your GPS location to automatically calculate the DA. For example, rightnow it is telling me there is a DA of -512ft in El Paso. Assuming the DA is accurate am I still going to loss power due to high elevation? Thanks for the help and insight.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
There are four components. To answer the question you start with your elevation. There the elevation is 3740’. So without anything else you have a 3740’ more of a problem with DA than a guy at sea level.

Given your weather conditions right now; 54 degrees, 30.12 Barameter, 8 degrees dew point (that one right there is a big helper). I got 4089’ DA.
Did you remember to give the app the elevation?

Elevation
Air Temp
Dew Point
Barometer

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I used to go to the track when the temp was cool and thought that was all I needed to know. Now with all the apps with all the variables with weather it seems different. This is what happens when you know to much about something and it turns into a science project.

Your DA is a good starting point on when the car should run the best but a high humidity day will be different then a low day also

OP
Bordercat_797

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
There are four components. To answer the question you start with your elevation. There the elevation is 3740’. So without anything else you have a 3740’ more of a problem with DA than a guy at sea level.

Given your weather conditions right now; 54 degrees, 30.12 Barameter, 8 degrees dew point (that one right there is a big helper). I got 4089’ DA.

Elevation
Air Temp
Dew Point
Barometer
When you select the auto calculate it only ask for the horse power and then uses GPS to calculate DA. I'm not sure if it takes elevation into account.

OP
Bordercat_797

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5

Elevation
Air Temp
Dew Point
Barometer
So basically the app is trash because it doesn't take the elevation into account, therefore giving an incomplete calculation.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
Interesting info for sure. I'm at 4500-5000ft in Reno/Sparks and couldn't find 93 octane anywhere. I then googled. Ah-ha...nobody sells anything higher than 91 in the high elevation areas.

I had absolutely no idea on the "science" between octane and altitude.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
When you select the auto calculate it only ask for the horse power and then uses GPS to calculate DA. I'm not sure if it takes elevation into account.
If it is using GPS worth a damn it should have your exact location and, ergo, AASL - it's the weather data components it would be missing unless it's tapping into the nearest FAA / NOTAR or other weather info automatically and just not showing it to you.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Want to get an idea of what difference it makes? Drive the hellcat north to Alamagordo, then take 82 into the Sacramento Mountains. In less than 20 miles you'll be in Cloudcroft with easy access to 8600 to 9000 feet on roads around there. Do a pull in the Tularosa Basin before the climb, and then up in the mountains.

OP
Bordercat_797

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
If it is using GPS worth a damn it should have your exact location and, ergo, AASL - it's the weather data components it would be missing unless it's tapping into the nearest FAA / NOTAR or other weather info automatically and just not showing it to you.
Here is a screenshot of what the app tells me the DA is currently. It spits out a projection of what the cars performance should be. However, the numbers aren't even close when you add the elevation.

Attachments

OP
Bordercat_797

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
Want to get an idea of what difference it makes? Drive the hellcat north to Alamagordo, then take 82 into the Sacramento Mountains. In less than 20 miles you'll be in Cloudcroft with easy access to 8600 to 9000 feet on roads around there. Do a pull in the Tularosa Basin before the climb, and then up in the mountains.
I just did a rally up to Ruidoso a few weeks ago and definitely noticed the difference in performance at higher elevation.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ruidoso is about 6900. Beautiful country out there.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Here is a screenshot of what the app tells me the DA is currently. It spits out a projection of what the cars performance should be. However, the numbers aren't even close when you add the elevation.
Try AutoDens app

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I moved here to the high desert about 10 years ago...and comparing Cincinnati which is elevation 700 feet to here in Albuquerque at 5350 feet...cars are a full second and 9 mph slower. So do I think I could run a 10.1@134 on a good track in great air with my Redeye? Hell yeah I do.

Everyone here who is serious about drag racing and runs at lower elevation tracks...they always outrun the official NHRA correction factor.

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Chall SRT Hellcat Redeye
Regarding the relationship of those 4 metrics... In cases where the physical altitude is high, it will be difficult for favorable measures of the other 3 to overcome that.

Many tracks are intentionally built on ground as close to sea level as possible for that reason. In areas like denver and other areas ,it's not possible. That's why you see crazy high DA at bandimere.

In other instances where the track is within a thousand feet of sea level, big baro can trump the altitude and temp on a blower car. Big baro is anything over 30. Many racers, myself included , will adjust their race program to compensate for the environment at a given track.

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Just to help out, download Drag Racing Weather app and it will calculate everything for you.

Type in the name of the track and it will show you everything.