Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Decent deal on a Power Wagon?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I’ve lurked on this forum since the exodus but never made an account. Though this may not be the perfect place to pose this question, I know many of you are Truck enthusiasts also and keep up with the Truck market, especially Rams.

I own a 2018 Hellcat and 2013 SRT8 which were both purchased new. I’ve never owned a truck. I’ve always rented or borrowed them when needed, and am relatively familiar with the differences between 1/2 and 3/4 tons and have driven many of both, though generally in light load situations relative to their ratings.

I had started saving awhile back for perhaps getting a TRX but after being honest with myself it’s really not the best fit for what I foresee using it for in the next 10+ years. Pricing options on several trims on the Ram website led me to the Power Wagon. I’m over 40, and have kept all my previous vehicles before the Challengers for at least 10 years. I would ideally like to make a one and done truck purchase good for my foreseeable needs, perhaps all the way to retirement age and have decided a 3/4 ton is the way to go, but don’t think my needs are going to justify the diesel. I’m not opposed to buying used, but resale on trucks seems to be so high unless you go high mileage or many years old and incentives on new seem to be very good, so I don’t see too much downside in buying new for something I plan on keeping a long time.

But truck pricing is unfamiliar territory for me. High MSRP’s and large discounts seem the norm.

The Power Wagons in my area, optioned the way I would like, come in around 65k MSRP and are advertised 55-56k after dealer discounts. I know Challenger prices relatively well, and that you can often get a much better price than advertised.

I’m not the type to sweat 1k on a 50k+ vehicle if it’s optioned and in the color I really want. So I’m not necessarily looking for absolute bottom dollar above all else. But I would like to know how far off the advertised discount prices are from what you can realistically negotiate. I just don’t want to get taken to the cleaners because I’m ignorant.

Any guidance from those who know is appreciated.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Welcome in the door so to speak!

I got my MY17 PW at ~$52k, about $10k off of sticker. This was at the end of the model year and it had been sitting on the lot for a long time.

Three things about the PW in my opinion:

I love it as a daily driver.

The 6.4L, even with the 4.10 gears will not pull like a diesel (obviously?)

When I put 11k lbs worth of enclosed car trailer behind it, the off-road suspension doesn't like it (11k is well beyond it's rated 7.2k tow capacity due to the off-road suspension)

Bonus 4th point, if I had to do it again, I would, keeping in mind that towing is an exception for me, not the rule.

Attachments

SunnyS

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Siesta Key
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat
I had two Ram 1500 Sport (14MY and 17MY) and loved them both.The things with trucks is like what Bull just pointed out is they are specific for your needs. First decide how you are going to use it then look for that specific model.If you are going to tow get a Diesel and do not look at anything else.The toughest off road trucks right now are the TRX and the Raptor. I loved my Ram sport it had power and all the luxury anyone would want. Don't know if they even make it anymore.All my friends have trucks so I just borrow theres now and fill there tank up when done.Good Luck

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
If your not in a hurry and the 2021 models start hitting the lots then factor up to15k off. Just last year I picked up a leftover Ram 1500 Limited and got 16k off. And keep in mind the more expensive ones will get bigger discounts. Good luck and if your patient I think you could see a hell of a deal.

OP
O
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Thank you all for your feedback. Waiting another couple months to see the effect of the new model year on remaining 2020 inventory prices is probably a good strategy.

71SixPack

Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Elizabeth
State
CO
Country
United States
I had two Ram 1500 Sport (14MY and 17MY) and loved them both.The things with trucks is like what Bull just pointed out is they are specific for your needs. First decide how you are going to use it then look for that specific model.If you are going to tow get a Diesel and do not look at anything else.The toughest off road trucks right now are the TRX and the Raptor. I loved my Ram sport it had power and all the luxury anyone would want. Don't know if they even make it anymore.All my friends have trucks so I just borrow theres now and fill there tank up when done.Good Luck
Good advice regarding the diesel power for towing. Been there and done that. I quickly traded my Ram 1500 for a 2500 CTD once I started towing my Jeep rock crawler. Not saying you can’t get by with a half ton truck but in the western USA, with long hauls across vast expanses with significant elevation changes diesel power rules when towing. Oh and make sure you get the exhaust brake.

YMMV

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
$8,000 - $10,000 off MSRP is pretty standard on the Power Wagon.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Thank you all for your feedback. Waiting another couple months to see the effect of the new model year on remaining 2020 inventory prices is probably a good strategy.
I have had 7 ram1500's over the past 20 years...I always put a plow on them..(not recommended by the factory)..I trashed 2 transfer cases on my 15..so I moved up to a 2500..(gas) in 18...both trucks loaded...its my DD...the 1500..rides like a bently...the 2500...ummm like a truck...a stiff truck..I log 35000 miles a year..If your not towing heavy...stick with the 1500...just my .02...oh BTW...welcome

OP
O
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
Whelp, I gave in. Took the 10k off sticker and haggled back the 2k on ridiculous ‘dealer installed extras’.

It had the options/color I wanted, leather interior, 12” screen, bed liner, running boards, etc.

Don’t have a picture of those two side-by-side yet, but here’s a pic next to my 2013 SRT8 Core, which was freshly waxed today.

Hopefully, I’m done buying vehicles now. I’ve got the 2013 392 with 75k miles (all mine) that I highly enjoy as a daily driver, the Hellcat for Friday’s and weekends, and road trips, and the truck for when I need it. Wife’s got a 2017 Grand Cherokee and is completely happy with it. So I am done until retirement lol.

Attachments

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Whelp, I gave in. Took the 10k off sticker and haggled back the 2k on ridiculous ‘dealer installed extras’.

It had the options/color I wanted, leather interior, 12” screen, bed liner, running boards, etc.

Don’t have a picture of those two side-by-side yet, but here’s a pic next to my 2013 SRT8 Core, which was freshly waxed today.

Hopefully, I’m done buying vehicles now. I’ve got the 2013 392 with 75k miles (all mine) that I highly enjoy as a daily driver, the Hellcat for Friday’s and weekends, and road trips, and the truck for when I need it. Wife’s got a 2017 Grand Cherokee and is completely happy with it. So I am done until retirement lol.
Congrats nice fleet cant go wrong with that collection.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Welcome in the door so to speak!

I got my MY17 PW at ~$52k, about $10k off of sticker. This was at the end of the model year and it had been sitting on the lot for a long time.

Three things about the PW in my opinion:

I love it as a daily driver.

The 6.4L, even with the 4.10 gears will not pull like a diesel (obviously?)

When I put 11k lbs worth of enclosed car trailer behind it, the off-road suspension doesn't like it (11k is well beyond it's rated 7.2k tow capacity due to the off-road suspension)

Bonus 4th point, if I had to do it again, I would, keeping in mind that towing is an exception for me, not the rule.
Hey Bull, you don't seem like you'd normally do this - why did you feel the need to exceed the tow rating? And I suppose that 7.2 is bc offroad? The Expedition EL is like 9000 or thereabouts.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Hey Bull, you don't seem like you'd normally do this - why did you feel the need to exceed the tow rating? And I suppose that 7.2 is bc offroad? The Expedition EL is like 9000 or thereabouts.

The truck would normally be rated much higher, if not for, and only for, the suspension.

The frame, the engine, the brakes, the weight of the truck are up to task, this same exact truck without the off-road package is rated at 10-12,000lbs.

But, knowing that, I treat it with respect, I'm not going up/down grades and I'm keeping highway speeds at 60-65.

All that said, I can't recommend my behavior.

;)

OP
O
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
There is more than meets the eye to that tow rating. Nearly everything has a bit of nuance to it.

One of my concerns in choosing a truck was the height of water it can ford through. I live where it flash floods frequently and have been caught in the 392 on multiple occasions as it was my daily driver. I got in situations twice where I had the choice of going through about a foot of water for a hundred yards or abandon it and watch the water continue to rise and hope it doesn’t flood out. I took my chances. Dry air filter both times, but not recommended. Gotta hit it with just the right speed to create a wake, not so much you flood the engine bay,, keep the RPM’s steady so you don’t pull too much vacuum and suck water into the air box, and just right so the low-end torque pushes you through without losing speed. Not recommended but it can be done.

Hopefully will never have to go through that again now that I have an alternative vehicle.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I could tell a story about fording water from back in the 80s which still raises hairs but I am out in NM (Jim's territory) and dont like typing on this phone.

Happy bird day yall.