Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Diesel Tuner Gets Year In Prison

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Sucks for him, but according to the article the guy was warned back in ‘15.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Tuning for power (obviously) has never bothered me, but is this one of those guys that does the "rolling coal" tunes and literally puts an injector of fuel directly into the exhaust to cause the black soot?

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Tuning for power (obviously) has never bothered me, but is this one of those guys that does the "rolling coal" tunes and literally puts an injector of fuel directly into the exhaust to cause the black soot?
The black smoke was a lot more popular in the early 2000 and mid 2000. Tuning has come such a long ways that most the time there is little to no black smoke even deleting the emissions. But when you put a big turbo on it is really hard and can be impossible to get rid of the black smoke. It is caused from not enough air to the fuel so when the turbo is slow to spool that’s an issue. I’m guessing that’s not even a truck he tuned in that picture. He is just in trouble for removing the efr and dpf system. Thr dpf systems are pretty problematic. I do believe since about 2019 the systems have become more reliable. But starting to use these systems in 2007 that’s a lot of trucks with issues. It is thousands of dollars to fix these emissions after warranty. My dads truck has a sensor go out and it would have been 1600 just for labor and tires part for the sensor that was only needed for the emissions. You can still get all these parts from Canada to remove the emissions.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
The black smoke was a lot more popular in the early 2000 and mid 2000. Tuning has come such a long ways that most the time there is little to no black smoke even deleting the emissions. But when you put a big turbo on it is really hard and can be impossible to get rid of the black smoke. It is caused from not enough air to the fuel so when the turbo is slow to spool that’s an issue. I’m guessing that’s not even a truck he tuned in that picture. He is just in trouble for removing the efr and dpf system. Thr dpf systems are pretty problematic. I do believe since about 2019 the systems have become more reliable. But starting to use these systems in 2007 that’s a lot of trucks with issues. It is thousands of dollars to fix these emissions after warranty. My dads truck has a sensor go out and it would have been 1600 just for labor and tires part for the sensor that was only needed for the emissions. You can still get all these parts from Canada to remove the emissions.
Ironic...DOJ fines millions..and hands out year long sentencing ...(for blowin smoke)..burn down a few cities??..ahhha...don't worry about it...no biggie...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #6
Ironic...DOJ fines millions..and hands out year long sentencing ...(for blowin smoke)..burn down a few cities??..ahhha...don't worry about it...no biggie...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
There's a Supreme Court case coming up soon that challenges the EPA making and enforcing laws by an unelected party.
Things might be changing.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thr dpf systems are pretty problematic. I do believe since about 2019 the systems have become more reliable. But starting to use these systems in 2007 that’s a lot of trucks with issues. It is thousands of dollars to fix these emissions after warranty. My dads truck has a sensor go out and it would have been 1600 just for labor and tires part for the sensor that was only needed for the emissions.
Meanwhile, many are getting 500,000+ problem free miles on their pre-'19 Rams.

Don't know about Furds, but it sure looks like those who actually use their Ram diesels for their intended purpose (pulling heavy, as often as possible) have far better luck with their emission systems than those who use their 3/4 or 1-ton diesel as a car.

Can't really blame the manufacturers, who built those vehicles for a specific purpose, if they are then used for something else. Much like I wouldn't tow with my 'Cat and expect it to stay together.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
My '04 CTD is just broken in a 260k.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Meanwhile, many are getting 500,000+ problem free miles on their pre-'19 Rams.

Don't know about Furds, but it sure looks like those who actually use their Ram diesels for their intended purpose (pulling heavy, as often as possible) have far better luck with their emission systems than those who use their 3/4 or 1-ton diesel as a car.

Can't really blame the manufacturers, who built those vehicles for a specific purpose, if they are then used for something else. Much like I wouldn't tow with my 'Cat and expect it to stay together.
Very true driving a diesel nice and taking it easy is worst on it.

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Very true driving a diesel nice and taking it easy is worst on it.
So I am curious - what would you consider the best way to drive a diesel? I am taking that you mean using it to pull a load (makes sense), but does that mean long trips (low # of heat cycles) or is it a combination of the two? I ask because I have a '98 1 ton Cummins (early 24 valve) that I bought new, but now with only 125k miles, but it's used to tow (primarily) and I am always open to hearing what others think... I still love the truck, even if it doesn't put out the power of the new or even later versions.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Like any engine, they prefer trips long enough to get everything warmed up properly, and diesels tend to not really warm up unless they have to perform actual work.

Don't know if the small diesels are the same way, but in Class 8 engines supposedly the rings aren't even meant to seal at idle. There's a reason my '17 only has 11 idle hours on it.

If at all possible, I don't start any engine unless I can put at least 20 miles on it (get it warm), but the Ram generally gets a minimum of 300 miles on it, towing, and sometimes up to 1,300 or so.

It obviously doesn't get a chance to cool down while getting fuel, and it's not unusual that the return trip after a 1,000 mile tow begins within a couple of hours.

And by towing I mean combined weights between 20,000 and 39,000 lbs., in hilly terrain, and doing about 80 mph whenever possible.
Yes, my 3500 may sit for several months, but when it gets started, it gets to work.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Like any engine, they prefer trips long enough to get everything warmed up properly, and diesels tend to not really warm up unless they have to perform actual work.

Don't know if the small diesels are the same way, but in Class 8 engines supposedly the rings aren't even meant to seal at idle. There's a reason my '17 only has 11 idle hours on it.

If at all possible, I don't start any engine unless I can put at least 20 miles on it (get it warm), but the Ram generally gets a minimum of 300 miles on it, towing, and sometimes up to 1,300 or so.

It obviously doesn't get a chance to cool down while getting fuel, and it's not unusual that the return trip after a 1,000 mile tow begins within a couple of hours.

And by towing I mean combined weights between 20,000 and 39,000 lbs., in hilly terrain, and doing about 80 mph whenever possible.
Yes, my 3500 may sit for several months, but when it gets started, it gets to work.
After 9 years as a CDL class A road driver...I had enough..I don't need one...and neither do most of my friends that have them...

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
There's a Supreme Court case coming up soon that challenges the EPA making and enforcing laws by an unelected party.
Things might be changing.
Now if they could only hold the CDC to that standard...we might have something...;);)

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
After 9 years as a CDL class A road driver...I had enough..I don't need one...and neither do most of my friends that have them...
I had my Pete for over 20 years, and still miss it. Of course, it was used for fun, not work.

May take a trip to Iowa soon with the 3500, towing my small gooseneck with a car on it. If I drive as usual, those 1,100 miles will be at 10 mpg. But if it was a gasser it'd probably get 5.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I had my Pete for over 20 years, and still miss it. Of course, it was used for fun, not work.

May take a trip to Iowa soon with the 3500, towing my small gooseneck with a car on it. If I drive as usual, those 1,100 miles will be at 10 mpg. But if it was a gasser it'd probably get 5.
A few years back...12 of us trailered out to Sturgis SD from WNY...I had just taken delivery of a new ram 1500 2 days before..I had 4 bikes almost 800lbs. each in a 20 ft enclosed trailer..we hammered straight through..and once past Chicago..everyones foot was glued to the floor..the fuel mileage was to say the least comical..(like driving a HC wide open)..top speed...91 loaded...there was A Denali diesel..a ford f250..a half ton chevy..(all no more than 3 years old...)..my mileage was by far the worst...we coulda got there a couple hours earlier had I not had to make so many fuel stops...

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
A few years back...12 of us trailered out to Sturgis SD from WNY...I had just taken delivery of a new ram 1500 2 days before..I had 4 bikes almost 800lbs. each in a 20 ft enclosed trailer..we hammered straight through..and once past Chicago..everyones foot was glued to the floor..the fuel mileage was to say the least comical..(like driving a HC wide open)..top speed...91 loaded...there was A Denali diesel..a ford f250..a half ton chevy..(all no more than 3 years old...)..my mileage was by far the worst...we coulda got there a couple hours earlier had I not had to make so many fuel stops...
Just think if it was electric 😳

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Just think if it was electric 😳
We'd still be in Chicago...:oops::oops:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I had just taken delivery of a new ram 1500 2 days before..I had 4 bikes almost 800lbs. each in a 20 ft enclosed trailer..

..my mileage was by far the worst...we coulda got there a couple hours earlier had I not had to make so many fuel stops...
I'm not surprised.
And I wouldn't try towing much more than an empty paper bag with a 1500.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I'm not surprised.
And I wouldn't try towing much more than an empty paper bag with a 1500.
The ride was comfortable..(.my 18 was a Ram 2500)..was a killer..brutal ride..now my buddies diesel Denali 2500 rides like a dream but..I'm not buyin a Gm truck...my 21 1500..is more like a car...but I ill make it work when it has to...

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
The ride was comfortable..(.my 18 was a Ram 2500)..was a killer..brutal ride..now my buddies diesel Denali 2500 rides like a dream but..I'm not buyin a Gm truck...my 21 1500..is more like a car...but I ill make it work when it has to...
If you had lowered, especially the rears, to correct pressure for the weight (or lack thereof), that 2500 should've had a nice ride. Not squishy like a car with a bed on it (1500), but quite nice.