Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

DMV

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
Curious if anyone has had a good experience with their local DMV office lately? Ours was horrible before COVID but is even more inefficient now. I bought my Hellcat a week ago and am finding it challenging to get it registered. I wish a state would experiment with having a tech company take over this process which seems amongst the most inefficient government functions there is.

Last edited:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
They say there are seven hour waits AT BEST in this state right now. I waited for three hours on Jan 2 just to apply for the new type of license. I even had all the correct documents with me as required to prove I was legal. I am very glad I did not put that little errand off until later in the year.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
For comparison purposes our local DMV makes the Post Office appear efficient.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I dropped off my plate 2 months ago... still don't have the receipt.

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Ohio has moved some stuff online so you can take care of it yourself. Some other things like plates, temp tags, and licences that were expiring during the shutdown have been extended 90 days past the end date of emergency declaration or Dec 1 (whichever comes first) to give people plenty of time. My local offices have always been reasonably friendly and not hideously slow (although not exactly speedy either). They just reopened for in-person visits 2 days ago and the long lines stretching thru the parking lots are of course all over the news. My son just bought my Daytona and unfortunately for him transferring plates is not something that can be done online, so hopefully once he has all the paperwork back it'll have calmed down a little.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I bought my Hellcat a week ago and am finding it challenging to get it registered.
What's the rush? Our latest purchase was 3-28, and the temporary tag (from CO) is long expired.
Not that anyone here cares, except for my girlfriend. So she has an appointment for 6-1.

She'll most likely not even be allowed into the building, being that she doesn't have a hazmat suit.

OP
N

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
Thread Starter #7
Private party purchase so no temp tag unfortunately.

Yoguard

Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat
Curious if anyone has had a good experience with their local DMV office lately? Ours was horrible before COVID but is even more inefficient now. I bought my Hellcat a week ago and am finding it challenging to get it registered. I wish a state would experiment with having a tech company take over this
process which seems amongst the most inefficient government functions there is.
I’m in upstate NY. I took my plates off for the winter & c/v hit with DMV’s closing. Our local County Clerk’s Office handled my plate request by mail. Took about 10 days total.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Private party purchase so no temp tag unfortunately.
You could still tell anyone that might pull you over that there's a virus thing going on, and that the DMV isn't open/functioning.
Although, I'd think that'd be common knowledge by now.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
In Mass you need to make an appointment if your ins co. isn't linked up with the DMV. Currently 8 days out.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
In Michigan you can get an appointment at least when they open again. I have one for June 5th which I'm thinking will get cancelled since the stay at home is now until June 12th so I got another one for June 16th.

Normally it has been an hour wait but this last year it was over 4 hours! I decided then I would never just walk in and get an appointment instead. I always have one car in storage for winter so they won't let me do it online, I have to show proof I have insurance. Stuff like this would make less people have to go if they just worried about my tags and let me worry about my insurance

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Curious if anyone has had a good experience with their local DMV office lately? Ours was horrible before COVID but is even more inefficient now. I bought my Hellcat a week ago and am finding it challenging to get it registered. I wish a state would experiment with having a tech company take over this
process which seems amongst the most inefficient government functions there is.

I've always had a good experience at the Weld County office at 119/I25

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
also I have to have road insurance on it at the time I get plates now, storage isnt good enough so I have to put insurance on it the day I go down, get a copy from my agent and have it taken back off for storage only (comprehensive)

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Normally it has been an hour wait but this last year it was over 4 hours!
That's about as bad as it was in CA 10 years ago...with an appointment.

OP
N

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
Thread Starter #15
I've always had a good experience at the Weld County office at 119/I25
In a normal time I would try it. After an hour on hold and about ten days worth of email exchanges (2-3) days in between responses I was able to get an appointment for late next week. In the grand scheme of things it’s not a huge deal but it’s just painful to watch how inefficiently they handle a relatively simple process.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Don’t know, all the offices closed around here, if it’s not automated mail order your not getting it. You can’t even get a plate around here.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
What's the rush? Our latest purchase was 3-28, and the temporary tag (from CO) is long expired.
Not that anyone here cares, except for my girlfriend. So she has an appointment for 6-1.

She'll most likely not even be allowed into the building, being that she doesn't have a hazmat suit.
Jimmy.....always good for a laugh! Thanks....I needed that :)

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Ct has a drop off box in three locations for the entire state. Aprox 20 day turn around time. :oops:
Awesome :mad: I live in CT and am hoping to get a RE order in.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
DMV closed to the public in Maryland. When this all started and the Governor closed everything down he issued some order that anything drivers wise that was going to expire would be given a 30 day extension after the emergency was lifted....which it still isn't. Not sure how the cops are dealing with expired licenses and registrations if they pull you over.
I just bought a car out of state and transferred over my Maryland plates. No idea how long it will take to get all the DMV process done. At least my old plates are still good for another year.
Maryland is not known for having the most efficient DMV. It's like they analyzed how it could be more efficient and then chose the exact opposite way.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Awesome :mad: I live in CT and am hoping to get a RE order in.
Not even in CT could they require that you register a vehicle when you order it...or can they?