Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

DMV

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Not even in CT could they require that you register a vehicle when you order it...or can they?
Not sure im following you. I didnt mean to imply that lol.
Need a certificate of origin to register it and i’m not sure how far in advance a dealer receives that, or if it is delivered with the vehicle. Would be really great if it was sent prior to the vehicle delivery so I could get a head start on the registration.
Maybe by then the DMV will be open anyway. Fingers crossed.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
You'll get the MSO when you sign the paperwork and take possession of the vehicle, certainly not before that, so you have plenty of time.
Especially if you haven't placed the order yet.

YMMV

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Morris Co
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
18 Charger HC
NJ doesn't even have an opening date.

Started seeing cars driving around with no temp tags or plates. People bought used cars and cant register them. They need to get to work so they just drive them.

I just pray they don't hit me since they can't/won't have insurance yet.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
NJ doesn't even have an opening date.

Started seeing cars driving around with no temp tags or plates. People bought used cars and cant register them. They need to get to work so they just drive them.

I just pray they don't hit me since they can't/won't have insurance yet.
Unfortunately prior NJ resident here. Registration is not a predicate of insurance. Insurance is a predicate of Registration. If someone is driving in NJ without insurance that's just negligence. All major insurance companies can process you without the DMV, no excuses there.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
Curious if anyone has had a good experience with their local DMV office lately? Ours was horrible before COVID but is even more inefficient now. I bought my Hellcat a week ago and am finding it challenging to get it registered. I wish a state would experiment with having a tech company take over this process which seems amongst the most inefficient government functions there is.
All DOT offices are closed around here....except for drivers license renewals, and you have to make an appt. for that. All titles, registrations and plate renewal is being done through the mail.

I just looked at the web site yesterday...they are now just serving the mail in-ins that were received on 10 APRIL !!!! So they are over a MONTH behind on mail in title/registration transfers!

Since I bought a car out of state - and of course its titled in another state, I don't qualify for mail in services. Had to email them back and forth for two weeks. They finally said I can mail in my original title, a check (of course) along with a title transfer/registration application. Sorry, but I don't trust mailing in the only title I have for the car....if it gets lost I'm screwed. I got the car back at the end of February, and I still don't have title or plates until they fully open. Thankfully its not my HC or a daily.

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
DMV's in Florida are operated by the county's as "Tax Collector" offices. I'm not joking. 😂

Pinellas which covers St Petersburg have just begun to open up a few locations with limited hours and by appointment only.

Beast707

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Carol Stream
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger WB M6 Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
In Illinois all closed up. Do what you can online it seems here. Most issues have been granted extensions automatically here. My plates expired in January as I forgot to renew with her in storage and no reminders. Well finally did it online and still waiting for sticker. Drive in front of many Officers probably just to be irritating but no Xmas Trees so with current times it's understood.

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
My local DMV sucks, paid my registration online and a hidden fee was charged called "Elavon." Complete b.s. to charge folks a fee to use other methods of payment, especially during these times. Shit even the slums of Asia that I visited last year didn't charge you for a credit transaction and that's a third world country.

I feel like the DMV is going places.

Beast707

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Carol Stream
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
My local DMV sucks, paid my registration online and a hidden fee was charged called "Elavon." Complete b.s. to charge folks a fee to use other methods of payment, especially during these times. Shit even the slums of Asia that I visited last year didn't charge you for a credit transaction and that's a third world country.

I feel like the DMV is going places.
If you lived in the most corrupt state Illinois That's completely normal! Just raised our personalized plates 75 bucks per year not counting all those dumb fees. 200 bucks a year now cash!

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
If you lived in the most corrupt state Illinois That's completely normal! Just raised our personalized plates 75 bucks per year not counting all those dumb fees. 200 bucks a year now cash!
Ouch, that's pretty bad haha

Beast707

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Carol Stream
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Lol. Most people say it could be worse. Nope not here Haha.

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Curious if anyone has had a good experience with their local DMV office lately? Ours was horrible before COVID but is even more inefficient now. I bought my Hellcat a week ago and am finding it challenging to get it registered. I wish a state would experiment with having a tech company take over this process which seems amongst the most inefficient government functions there is.
In NM we have a private company MVDExpress. Multiple offices in Albuquerque. They basicly can do all DMV tasks. Takes maybe 30 min tops to get service. They charge a very reasonable addon fee. I haven't been to the state office in more than 10 years. Simple.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
In NM we have a private company MVDExpress. Multiple offices in Albuquerque. They basicly can do all DMV tasks. Takes maybe 30 min tops to get service. They charge a very reasonable addon fee. I haven't been to the state office in more than 10 years. Simple.
We have some places like that in Maryland. It's amazing that if you go to one of them, they never have a problem getting your stuff taken care of, but if you go to the dmv here yourself it's always a crap shoot if you'll get out of there without some sort of problem.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
It's amazing that if you go to one of them, they never have a problem getting your stuff taken care of, but if you go to the dmv here yourself it's always a crap shoot if you'll get out of there without some sort of problem.
I think that could be summed up in two words: Job security.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I think that could be summed up in two words: Job security.
Yeah, no kidding. When I moved here from California and went to the local dmv here, they gave me a stack of paperwork to fill out. The nice lady at the info desk highlighted all the places I had to fill out. Some of the forms were only highlighted on the signature line. I filled out everything else like she had instructed and took the "signature" ones back to her and asked her what I needed to fill out on those, and her response was that I just needed to sign them. Now mind you, I'm no nuclear physicist but I can generally tell when something ain't right. So, i asked her what was the purpose of just signing a blank form that I didn't have to fill out. She gave me what I refer to as "the minimum wage stare"....you know that look you get when you ask the really hard questions.....and she told me that on those forms only a signature was required. So....I went back and waited for my turn at the counter. When I got up there I handed the nice lady the stack of forms and my vehicle paperwork. She starts rifling through the forms, comes to the ones with just the signatures on them, looks at them and summarily throws them away. When I asked her why she did that, she told me those forms weren't necessary. I was very proud of myself for the self control that I exhibited that day because deep down inside there was a very boisterous WTF welling up and wanting to come screaming forth.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I got quite good at swallowing hard and pretend that everything was just fine when still in CA. And that was after waiting for hours.
I could write a small book about my (mis)adventures with the CA MVD. But in all fairness, some of it was self inflicted since I have a habit of showing up with less than normal vehicles.

Here, our local one-lady MVD apologizes profusely if there's somebody else already in the office and I have to wait a few minutes.
Also, she's not confused when I show up with something that couldn't even be registered in CA.

71SixPack

Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Elizabeth
State
CO
Country
United States
We live in a rural county in CO. Local DMV walk in wait times are usually measured in minutes. Used their drive-through for the first time this month to renew tags on three vehicles. It was backed up some. Had to wait 1/2 hour. Certainly spoiled now after so many years living in the Denver metro area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
N

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
Thread Starter #38
If you were to buy a new Redeye in Colorado your registration fees could easily be 1100 plus dollars. That doesn't include sales tax which is another 7 plus percent. We have the Tax Payers Bill of Rights here which requires governments to get voter approval to raise taxes. Their way around this is to raise fees and our registration fees in particular are obscene.

That's awesome I would love for them to do the same in Colorado. I would gladly pay a small fee not to have to deal with the DMV office.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Burnsville
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
You all are a bunch of amateurs, lol. Google MNLARS sometime. Stands for Minnesota License and Registration. After BLOWING 100 MILLION dollars of taxpayers money "updating " a 30 year old system the genius government here decides it easier and more cost efficient to just scrap it and start all over again by maybe letting a private sector company figure out how to write a computer program system so wd can buy our license plates and get the titles to our cars etc.
Talk about NONESSENTIAL business. Why are they burning down restaurants, grocery stores and auto parts stores? Those dumb ass looters are burning the wrong places down. Burn the goddamn license bureaus down and i will meet you there and bring the accelerant!!

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Here in Mich in the suburbs it's the same crap as most other states. Wait...wait some more...get pissed off and swear you'll find a way to never come to this place again. But I found a better way. Got a SOS (Secretary of State) as it's called here, up near my place in northern Mich. Walked in and the lady was just sitting there. Other lady was helping a customer. Asked how I was doing and what she could do for me. I almost pissed myself as I was grinning from ear to ear as I made my way to the counter. 15 minutes later I was outta there.