Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dodge Hellcat V8s to die in 2023 due to government fines

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
The Z06 could very well be the LAST GM -all- ICE motor though...So maybe the ZR1 is hybrid assist? E-Zora is supposedly EV. So just like Dodge big HP is here to stay..its the big ALL ICE HP that's going away...for Chevy too eventually. The Mopar swan song is sooner since the Challenger platform is like 5,000 yrs old and was being phased out anyway. And don't forget the (Euro) Stelantis takeover effect. Chevy probably has 3-4 more years o all ICE "left in the tank". Plus, don't forget that their flat plane Z06 is -not- boosted.
Dodge Brand will be gone soon too.. 2025 bye Dodge

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I'm afraid I agree. Dodge had a niche product that appealed to a lot of folks and Stelannis is trying to change their identity in to something they're not. It won't be successful. I'm hearing no more Dodge V8s period, not just Hellcat. This is what happens with European car companies get involved with us Americans.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Port orchard
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 redeye
I'm afraid I agree. Dodge had a niche product that appealed to a lot of folks and Stelannis is trying to change their identity in to something they're not. It won't be successful. I'm hearing no more Dodge V8s period, not just Hellcat. This is what happens with European car companies get involved with us Americans.
Yeah, no more v8 engines but it's cool to burn crude oil on a cruise ship when there out to sea.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
It runs in cycles.

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
Dodge WAS an American brand. That ship has sailed once they sold out to FCA. The only thing left that is American is the Dodge name. When you buy a Dodge these days, you just as well say you're buying ur-a-peeing car. Nearly every part in the car is outsourced to non North American based companies and that is the sad part of that transition.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
I’m surprised many here are actually surprised this is happening to Dodge. Meaning it’s going to be electrified due to the Harsh Government’s Rules and Fines for Carbon Foot Print impacts of ICE. And wow look at how the PT Barnum of Modern times aka Elon Musk the Magician of Tesla collects 1 billion plus dollars a year for selling Carbon Tax Credits to the likes of Stellantis and others. Elon is laughing all the way to the bank as he stuffs his pockets by making the World Government’s feel good for his Smoke and Mirrors build a better Box that will save Mother Earth by cutting down Green House damage while stripping the commodities of the earth rarer than rare to Electrify the douchebags. But yet electrification of Vehicles still doesn’t solve the Green House Damage being it’s 40k miles or more a electric vehicle actually begins the process of eliminating the Carbon Foot Print harm. The lost will continue to follow the lost and makes no sense that they would not let ICE continue as an option and other forms of energy besides one and only one focus being Electric. In the end we all Know it’s a Power grab (get it) lol, Governing Controls, big Tech push, transfer of wealth and feel good philosophy that has brain washed so many. I have no issue of change but I have issues of forced change created by an agenda bigger than common sense.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
It's gonna be pretty simple. I don't see many Dodge vehicles that aren't the performance versions. A few SLT V6s but mostly 5.7s and 392s. When those stop being made, people will buy something else and Stellantis will wonder what went wrong. I'm not sure why they bought the Dodge name from FCA to be honest.

If Ford and Chevy are still making V8s (and I believe they are) that's where the performance enthusiasts are headed.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Ford has gone on to do a bunch of electric vehicle and hybrid stuff but have seemed to leave Ford Performance alone. Which is smart on their part. Dodge should have let SRT do their own thing.
I have told numerous people that I highly doubt I will buy another dodge in the next 5 years. I sure hope we like this Ford we have on the way because if we do that'll be what I buy in the future. The Hellcat will always be special to me and I will keep mine for a long time.
I've been a die hard Dodge fan but I'm not loyal enough to not open my eyes and switch to something else.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
If they make something with a 600+ HP turbo 6 that weighs around 3,000 lbs and AWD I'd take a look, but I think that unlikely. I'll be watching what happens with the Vette and that will likely be my next purchase if they keep going the way they have been.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
If they make something with a 600+ HP turbo 6 that weighs around 3,000 lbs and AWD I'd take a look, but I think that unlikely. I'll be watching what happens with the Vette and that will likely be my next purchase if they keep going the way they have been.
That's unreasonable, even the m3's and alike are now 3800+ lbs.

There's awd turbo 6s such as the m3 xdrive that are making 500hp stock and 600+ on a tune.

Also that's an 90k car, nobody is gonna buy an 90k dodge with less horsepower than the hellcat.

The simple problem is dodge has outpriced themselves in the market, awd + 700hp = $100k+ msrp and at that price point the vehicle will need heavy rebates.

At $110k I'm buying an m5 over an awd charger hellcat everyday. My interior doesn't look like a rental car v6, the technology isn't 8-10 years behind, and the car can actually handle curves.

Just my 2 cents, dodge has put themselves in a precarious situation.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I dunno if BMW is just an example, but everyone I've known that had one said they were major POS and would never own one again. I personally have a hard time with a $100K Vette but the performance is great and punches above it's weight. I'm not sure what Stellantis thought they bought but they're about to get a bad wake up call from a hot rod customer base that Dodge had ridden a wave of since 2008.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
That's unreasonable, even the m3's and alike are now 3800+ lbs.

There's awd turbo 6s such as the m3 xdrive that are making 500hp stock and 600+ on a tune.

Also that's an 90k car, nobody is gonna buy an 90k dodge with less horsepower than the hellcat.

The simple problem is dodge has outpriced themselves in the market, awd + 700hp = $100k+ msrp and at that price point the vehicle will need heavy rebates.

At $110k I'm buying an m5 over an awd charger hellcat everyday. My interior doesn't look like a rental car v6, the technology isn't 8-10 years behind, and the car can actually handle curves.

Just my 2 cents, dodge has put themselves in a precarious situation.
The explorer ST I have on order with a 3.0L eco boost is 400hp stock. Tune and a fuel pump I will be able to get it passed the 500rwhp mark. 3rd row suv around 50k depending on options. It's a mid 11sec suv at that point. In a car 10s pretty easy.

It's close to 500rwhp without a fuel pump and e50. So tune only

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
The explorer ST I have on order with a 3.0L eco boost is 400hp stock. Tune and a fuel pump I will be able to get it passed the 500rwhp mark. 3rd row suv around 50k depending on options. It's a mid 11sec suv at that point. In a car 10s pretty easy.

It's close to 500rwhp without a fuel pump and e50. So tune only
I was talking about the weight spec, 3000 lbs.

I have an ST incoming next week. I'm throwing an mrt exhaust, a new intercooler and tune.

It's 59k after the 401a/street pack + twin panel moonroof + premium tech.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
I dunno if BMW is just an example, but everyone I've known that had one said they were major POS and would never own one again. I personally have a hard time with a $100K Vette but the performance is great and punches above it's weight. I'm not sure what Stellantis thought they bought but they're about to get a bad wake up call from a hot rod customer base that Dodge had ridden a wave of since 2008.
It's all german cars out of warranty, bmw, audi, mercedes, and even porsche has had its struggles.

Under warranty the cars are awesome, another bonus point for leasing.

But yes I agree, end of the line unless dodge pulls a miracle out of its hat.

Here's the way I see the charger/challenger moving.

Hybrid v8/electric assisted front motors

You get awd and keep the v8 plus the mpg skyrockets due to those electric motors.

Redesign the interior, use the grand wagoneer as your starting point.

Sell for 90-95k

That is the recipe for success but I don't know if all of that is possible at the 90-95k price point.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I'd jump on a hybrid AWD setup that used electrification to compliment the 800ish HP V8.

I've been eyeballing the new Explorers for a while. My buddy has an ST and loves it. 400HP with a bump to even close to 500 would be nice in that vehicle.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I'd jump on a hybrid AWD setup that used electrification to compliment the 800ish HP V8.

I've been eyeballing the new Explorers for a while. My buddy has an ST and loves it. 400HP with a bump to even close to 500 would be nice in that vehicle.
I'll keep you posted on how tuning goes for it compared to the hellcat. I have a few stock files I've started on just for fun.

I have been eyeing the new s650 mustang as well hoping for some sort of awd hybrid deal to daily even in the winter.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat

Awd + v8 + 800 hp would be a dream.

The explorer St is an awesome complement, it retains the rwd bias with the stability of awd. I have seen intercooler + intake + tune dropping 0-60s in the high 3s which puts it on track for low 11s like jon said.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Just curious why all the Explorer ST love? A Durango SRT has 485 HP I believe? Personal preference? Easier tuning possibilities? Not hating. Just wondering.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Because Dodge is discontinuing the V8 power plant.