Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Don't think I like my 3.09s

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I like the reasoning. Think I was Temporarily Insane too.
Game on.
I hear some say "I wish I would have ordered it with the 3.09" , but I have never heard someone say "wish I would have got the 2.62" , I think you'll like the 3.09.

DFW_Redeye

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dallas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
The one plus remember that by ordering the 3.09's in the RE is you will be getting the Demon differential with the hardened case and diff gears. If that matters to you. This way you will have the Demon engine and the Demon rear end in your car. For bragging purposes if nothing else 😁
i have yet to hit the track with my WB RE with 2.62’s. Not sure if I ever will. The car shreds tires so easily. Its a joke. On the highway I have almost lost control trying to pass slower moving traffic. Bragging purposes are great but be wise and figure out where your RE will spend most of its time. If you drive on the street you will need sticky tires and a soft foot if going with the 3.09’s. Now if you plan on hitting the drag strips regularly then 3.09’s and slicks are a winning combo.

OP
HRJ

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Thread Starter #43
After reading your responses, I'd like to make sure that you all understand that I'm not stating for a fact that the 3.09s are the problem. Just that I'm leaning that direction. PLEASE convince me otherwise if you have a different idea.

Also, to be clear what I'm talking about isn't on launch. I'm specifically speaking about when the car is finally moving, the tires are hooked up and the car is accelerating through the gears. The car doesn't have that same "stuff you in your seat" g-force that my 2016 did. I expected at least the same with the additional 90hp, regardless of ratio.

Going back into the memory banks, when I raced dirt Modifieds we had quickchange axles and were constantly fiddling with gear ratios to meet track conditions. It was easy to "overgear" the car to help it get out of corners but if the car wouldn't have that "surge" at the end of the straightaway then we'd lose lap time because corner entry suffered. The key was to get the car out of the corner and still have the car pull hard all the way to the next corner. Not always easy to get right on the first attempt.

Now, I'm not trying to compare an oval track to a street car that primarily goes straight. But what I AM comparing is the level of "pull" the car has once it gets going. Based on my experience I'm thinking it might be overgeared (or too steeply geared, however you like to say it). But that doesn't mean I'm right.

Thanks for everyone's comments so far. I still have a lot to consider.

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
After reading your responses, I'd like to make sure that you all understand that I'm not stating for a fact that the 3.09s are the problem. Just that I'm leaning that direction. PLEASE convince me otherwise if you have a different idea.

Also, to be clear what I'm talking about isn't on launch. I'm specifically speaking about when the car is finally moving, the tires are hooked up and the car is accelerating through the gears. The car doesn't have that same "stuff you in your seat" g-force that my 2016 did. I expected at least the same with the additional 90hp, regardless of ratio.

Going back into the memory banks, when I raced dirt Modifieds we had quickchange axles and were constantly fiddling with gear ratios to meet track conditions. It was easy to "overgear" the car to help it get out of corners but if the car wouldn't have that "surge" at the end of the straightaway then we'd lose lap time because corner entry suffered. The key was to get the car out of the corner and still have the car pull hard all the way to the next corner. Not always easy to get right on the first attempt.

Now, I'm not trying to compare an oval track to a street car that primarily goes straight. But what I AM comparing is the level of "pull" the car has once it gets going. Based on my experience I'm thinking it might be overgeared (or too steeply geared, however you like to say it). But that doesn't mean I'm right.

Thanks for everyone's comments so far. I still have a lot to consider.
I’ll convince you.. I have a 19’ hellcat charger with .262 and a 19’ Redeye bare bones with .309. The Redeye is capable of 60-100 mph in 3.3 seconds in sport trans so maybe even a tenth faster. In track mode in the charger my best is 3.6 seconds 60-100 mph. So there you go. On the street the Redeye is 3 tenths of a second faster under the same conditions. Top end doesn’t really feel much different. 60-120 the challenger has a clear advantage with .309. With the right tires the Redeye is capable of under 7 seconds 0-100 mph. My best in the charger was 7.2. Most of the time it’s between 7.4-7.8..

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
It’s funny OP that you say you think the Redeye feels slower. Honestly I feel the exact opposite. With the .309 to me it feels like the Redeye has 150 more hp. Down low from 30-120 I feel a big difference. And the numbers I gave you account for my belief/feeling on the matter.

DFW_Redeye

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dallas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
I’ll convince you.. I have a 19’ hellcat charger with .262 and a 19’ Redeye bare bones with .309. The Redeye is capable of 60-100 mph in 3.3 seconds in sport trans so maybe even a tenth faster. In track mode in the charger my best is 3.6 seconds 60-100 mph. So there you go. On the street the Redeye is 3 tenths of a second faster under the same conditions. Top end doesn’t really feel much different. 60-120 the challenger has a clear advantage with .309. With the right tires the Redeye is capable of under 7 seconds 0-100 mph. My best in the charger was 7.2. Most of the time it’s between 7.4-7.8..
is your Charger stock or modified? I would think if both cars are stock, the RE would always have the advantage because of the larger supercharger and ram air hood. and maybe with 262’s you’d be even faster and able to hit warp speed :eek::alien:

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
is your Charger stock or modified? I would think if both cars are stock, the RE would always have the advantage because of the larger supercharger and ram air hood. and maybe with 262’s you’d be even faster and able to hit warp speed :eek::alien:
Both stock. Hah no to warp speed. you know when I first bought into dodge. I had a 392 with a .309 gear I enjoyed. If you want to feel how that car feels. Just put the Redeye in 500hp mode. Now go back to 797. Once you feel the throttle input difference it’s night and day. The .309 definitely doesn’t slow the car down. When you put the charger against the Redeye in a 50/60 roll the Redeye will always pull.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
So, if 3.09's allow your car to go that much faster, from both a dig AND while going 60-120....basically at all speeds - why not go to 4.11's....or maybe even 5.62's? It should surely be a rocket with those gears! I mean - stomping all competition all the way to 200 mph. - NO ONE - will be able to touch you! And think of how much more hp and tq you'll gain from a gear swap!! I think we have this figured out everyone....

To the OP...a non modded Hellcat vs. Redeye....the Redeye should feel stronger with either gear under it. It shouldn't matter whether its 3.09 or 2.62's under it. If you really feel your RE is slower than your HC....then maybe have the RE checked out for bad performance...maybe your blower is not putting out the boost it should or something.

Last edited:

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
So, if 3.09's allow your car to go that much faster, from both a dig AND while going 60-120....basically at all speeds - why not go to 4.11's..
4.10's were a factory option on select muscle cars back in the day, those babies would sing on the highway !

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Well I read an article before saying comparatively that the New school .309 gear is more like an .440 old school gear just has 7 and 8 as over drive. It’s not apples to apples comparing gearing to old muscle transmissions.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
As much as this pains me to say I will say this one more time.

Moparjim stock hellcat record 10.37 with 2.62s. This is the reason I went with 2.62s in my Redeye. So far my PB is 10.399@132.98 with 1.477 60ft no skinnies just 17" rears with 305s and 300lb plus driver. With some practice I think I can go 10.15-10.25. When a stock hellcat with 3.09s goes faster then Jim then I will say we have proof 3.09s are better.

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
As much as this pains me to say I will say this one more time.

Moparjim stock hellcat record 10.37 with 2.62s. This is the reason I went with 2.62s in my Redeye. So far my PB is 10.399@132.98 with 1.477 60ft no skinnies just 17" rears with 305s and 300lb plus driver. With some practice I think I can go 10.15-10.25. When a stock hellcat with 3.09s goes faster then Jim then I will say we have proof 3.09s are better.
From a 50-60 roll I find Your at a better rpm in a .309 then you are in .262.. shifting the top of 3rd around 80 in the Redeye in the Charger it’s 96. Fourth gear in the challenger your shifting off around 100. So you get through those gears pulling pretty quick from this circumstance. That’s what I wanted to add from a street stand point

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
From a 50-60 roll I find Your at a better rpm in a .309 then you are in .262.. shifting the top of 3rd around 80 in the Redeye in the Charger it’s 96. Fourth gear in the challenger your shifting off around 100. So you get through those gears pulling pretty quick from this circumstance. That’s what I wanted to add from a street stand point
I agree with you. From a roll and probably just driving around on the street 3.09s are probably better and more fun. I just have not seen enough proof that 3.09s make that much of a difference in the 1/4.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
I agree with you. From a roll and probably just driving around on the street 3.09s are probably better and more fun. I just have not seen enough proof that 3.09s make that much of a difference in the 1/4.
I can believe what someone said earlier...maybe a tenth better in the 1/4 with decent traction. Everything advertised by Dodge, magazines etc. only claim the optional 3.09 gearing will get you a quicker launch. That I totally believe....again if it hooks well.

How each does in some type of “roll race” should be totally dependent on what gear you are in at given speed...and what the rpm is in whatever gear the transmission kicks down to when you lay into it. I’m sure both have advantages at different speeds.

Last edited:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Demonology took the 3.09 out of his Demon and put in a 2.62 and ran better if memory serves. @hellno has both and can probably give a good comparison as well.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
You guys are killing me...o_O

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Well I read an article before saying comparatively that the New school .309 gear is more like an .440 old school gear just has 7 and 8 as over drive. It’s not apples to apples comparing gearing to old muscle transmissions.
Your Redeye should always pull with 90 more horsepower, and I think the Challenger is just a tad lighter than the Charger, isn't it?

I remember reading that the 3.09s are actually the equivalent of an old school 4.88:1 ratio with a 4-speed, but remember we get 4 more gears after that :)

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Your Redeye should always pull with 90 more horsepower, and I think the Challenger is just a tad lighter than the Charger, isn't it?

I remember reading that the 3.09s are actually the equivalent of an old school 4.88:1 ratio with a 4-speed, but remember we get 4 more gears after that :)
That’s what is was 4.88. Thanks for that info. That was what I read before..

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I just feel like the 16 pulled harder when hooked up than the 20 REWB. Since I am getting full boost, what else can it be..?
I know this is not supposed to happen, but are you getting any slippage with the rubber? I've had a drag radials spin / leave rubber without seeming to be spinning from the "feel" standpoint. But those tires you have, not sure that could be it.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I ha
Demonology took the 3.09 out of his Demon and put in a 2.62 and ran better if memory serves. @hellno has both and can probably give a good comparison as well.
I have ran both IMO tire size is important and n making the choice between the two
28.5 inch tall drag radial works well with the 2.62
3.09 works well with a 30in y’all drag radial

IMO the 3.09 also helps relieve stress on the drivetrain especially the trans
When I switched back to my 3.09 I picked up both mph and et as well as the 60ft