Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Driving-related vision question....

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Ok folks, while I"ve never been 2020 uncorrected, I've always been at least 2020 with lenses, if not better. Great visual acuity; great shooting (even now can hold my own with special ops friends in shooting at 500 meters and out shoot them at 100m); no problems at all. Up until last year. Now, my Rx is spot on (triple checked), the manufacturing of the lenses is spot on, but my vision is still giving me problems. Doc (ophthalmologist) says she thinks it is astigmatism progressing and not related to diabetes or any other medical condition. This is driving me crazy because my sight is the most critical of all my faculties for me (after my mind) and would hate to eventually have to think of the possibility of giving up fast cars or night driving or whatever.

Any of you ever experienced anything like this? If so, please let me know about your experience.

Thanks

amazing_wind_surf.gif

No way I would ride that out as far as this guy did. Now, maybe when I was young... lol

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
I had astigmatism in my left eye really bad, and I used to wear pretty thick glasses (I was in glasses starting in 3rd grade). The best money I’ve spent on myself is LASIK eye surgery. Better than 2020 vision for over 10 years and no more astigmatism.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I have a pretty good astigmatism and have had one for as long as I can remember. Have glasses since the age of 4. I also don't have depth perception so 3d movies have no impact on me. LOL
I have driven some form of truck until about 13yrs ago with zero issues. Driving fast no issues either. Night vision in rain has always had it's challenges due to lack of depth perception. Basically I don't think you have to worry. But I don't know any better. LOL

John G.

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
I wear contact lenses designed to correct astigmatism and they really work.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Of the many careers that I have, or have had, being a machinist was one of them. Being able to visually resolve fine features, surface finishes, etc is key.

While I gave up machining as a primary task some time ago, I have on occasion need to crank handles, either making prototypes or changes or revisions.

About 3 or 4 years ago I went from being able resolve just a few thousandths using just a steel scale, to barely being able to see the major divisions on the scale.

My eyes have gone to shyt.

For several years, the optometrist said I was "non-conforming" and unable to use bifocals, although just this year, I can use them on a limited basis.

Shooting is just a sad subject for me, I have a State championship, two NRA gold medals, and have uncounted trophies from days gone by.

Now I'm just an decent shooter, my Barrett MRAD .338LM hasn't been shot in a long time because I can't ******* see anymore. This is a rifle that I have/had first round hits on at 2300yds.

Sorry, what was the question?

:(

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Thread Starter #6
Guys, thank you all for sharing your knowledge. Makes me feel better about it; not the end of the world. I will look into all that you have said. And be aware, I value you all, and wish you all the best.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I have astigmatism as well but can squint my way to 20/20. It’s very difficult to deal with these changes when you have had perfect vision your entire life. My eye doctor told me LASIK won’t help astigmatism. Is he bullshitting me? I may try it but anyone working on my eyes scares the shit out of me. How bad is the procedure? I had a metal chip in my eye before from working on an exhaust system. I had to go to the emergency room. The doctor had to get two big orderlies to hold my arms down because I fought him. I hated that. But man did I feel better after getting that head of a pin piece of rust out of my eye,

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Poor night vision is the sole reason I don't get my windows tinted.
I had Lasik back in 99 and enjoyed pretty good vision up until a few years ago.
I have always shot iron sighted target pistols and it's getting harder and harder to keep the group sizes down due to eye fatigue.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Staring at computer screens all day doesn't help either. It causes your focal length to change and effects your short and long range vision. It's actually called "computer vision syndrome". The muscles in your eye get used to focusing on roughly the same distance for hours on end. And after years of that, the muscles don't relax as easily as they used to, so your long range vision diminishes in your dominant eye because it's used to focusing on near objects most of the time. This is why you hear doctors say that if you work at a computer all day you should look away for a few minutes every 20 minutes or so.

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
I have astigmatism as well but can squint my way to 20/20. It’s very difficult to deal with these changes when you have had perfect vision your entire life. My eye doctor told me LASIK won’t help astigmatism. Is he bullshitting me? I may try it but anyone working on my eyes scares the shit out of me. How bad is the procedure? I had a metal chip in my eye before from working on an exhaust system. I had to go to the emergency room. The doctor had to get two big orderlies to hold my arms down because I fought him. I hated that. But man did I feel better after getting that head of a pin piece of rust out of my eye,
LASIK cleared up my astigmatism.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Poor night vision is the sole reason I don't get my windows tinted.
I had Lasik back in 99 and enjoyed pretty good vision up until a few years ago.
I have always shot iron sighted target pistols and it's getting harder and harder to keep the group sizes down due to eye fatigue.
Any weapon I have to use with any degree of proficiency nowdays.. has to be scoped...close quarter is the exception...but tack driving..i need optics..it all went south bout a year and a half ago

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

Proud American

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
I've always needed glasses for distance, but now my close up vision has gone to total crap in the last year. I fill out hundreds of pages of inspection reports every month and I always took my eyesight for granted. Now I don't go anywhere without my Foster Grants. :geek:

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
I had perfect 20/20 vision up until I hit 46 years old. It happened so suddenly ....I woke up one morning to discover the print on the morning paper looked blurry. I went to pharmacy readers for several years until I finally got a perscription pair of glasses. I‘m not required to wear them while driving (although I do) . I even passed my license renewal vision test without glasses. Ive been told its just part of getting old....

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thanks that good info.
It's worth looking into. Although I have been inquiring since '93 and keep getting told that it won't fix mine.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Gilbert
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Lasik can fix most astigmatism nowadays.

Also keep in mind that your optometrist is in a tough market, it's in their best interests to keep you in glasses/contacts. Mine lied to my face and stated lasik can't/ wont fix astigmatism.

Few weeks later I was having a conversation with my brother. Told him about what happened at the optometrist. He laughed and told me he had his astigmatism fixed many years ago with lasik.

Long story short, lasik fixed my astigmatism and I see better than 20/20 now. Speak with an actual ophthalmologist/lasik center, not an optometrist.

Also, it is not unusual to need re enhancement lasik about 10 years after your initial procedure. Pretty common actually, just FYI for the guy above that said he had lasik many years ago and his vision is going bad again.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Lasik can fix most astigmatism nowadays.

Also keep in mind that your optometrist is in a tough market, it's in their best interests to keep you in glasses/contacts. Mine lied to my face and stated lasik can't/ wont fix astigmatism.

Few weeks later I was having a conversation with my brother. Told him about what happened at the optometrist. He laughed and told me he had his astigmatism fixed many years ago with lasik.

Long story short, lasik fixed my astigmatism and I see better than 20/20 now. Speak with an actual ophthalmologist/lasik center, not an optometrist.

Also, it is not unusual to need re enhancement lasik about 10 years after your initial procedure. Pretty common actually, just FYI for the guy above that said he had lasik many years ago and his vision is going bad again.

Intestines