Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

DSS aluminum driveshaft

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
I have had this sitting in my garage for around 2-3 years. According to dss this is the updated one. I have the dss carbon fiber one on now. Once I get to 60 plus mph it starts to vibrate some. Some people are stating the cf and aluminum one weigh the same. 25-26 pounds. I just put the aluminum one on the scale. 31.2 pounds with the box and included hardware. But I also read that direct rotating weight straight from the engine or transmission is not as bad as extra weight on the corners. Ie brake rotors, wheels, tires. Is that true? Is the dss aluminum shaft good?

Attachments

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I have 1 sitting in my garage. Personally, I would only use it for the track. Less NVH with stock. Just my opinion.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #3
I was reading that rotational weight from the driveshaft is negligible in terms of gaining horsepower. That forward weight from wheels, etc. do make a difference. I do not understand the physics of it. Yeah I was just hoping to save 1400 dollars as this one has been in my garage and the carbon fiber one I believe is causing some vibration. It is a dss one.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Make sure that the drive shaft and exhaust are not touching, especially up near the front.
If so that could be your vibration, but it also could cut your drive shaft like a circular saw.

I spoke to Frank Rehak ( former owner) a few years back and he told me that the CF was actually stronger because they put a coating on it.
If you have the Diff brace that is the "Best Peace of Mind" part install on my Hellcat.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I was reading that rotational weight from the driveshaft is negligible in terms of gaining horsepower. That forward weight from wheels, etc. do make a difference. I do not understand the physics of it. Yeah I was just hoping to save 1400 dollars as this one has been in my garage and the carbon fiber one I believe is causing some vibration. It is a dss one.
With a 1 piece you need to lock out your rear subframe. The forward motion without it can break your transmission.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #6
With a 1 piece you need to lock out your rear subframe. The forward motion without it can break your transmission.
I am positive I have those cradle lockouts installed. My memory is not the greatest. But I think they were rubber type round frisbee looking? It was a few years ago.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I am positive I have those cradle lockouts installed. My memory is not the greatest. But I think they were rubber type round frisbee looking? It was a few years ago.
👍

I thinking about going back to stock bushings.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
You’ll get more vibration with the aluminum one over the carbon fiber. I have one sitting on my shelf because it vibrates so bad. Went to a redeye driveshaft and have 20+ track passes on it

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I must be the luckiest person ever. I have had plenty of aluminum ds is different cars and non vibrated so I never understand when people say this

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I must be the luckiest person ever. I have had plenty of aluminum ds is different cars and non vibrated so I never understand when people say this
You are

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
By far the most important item in a DSS one piece driveshaft install in a car that 60's quicker than 1.4x. The forward motion will most likely break your DS first but the trans would be an issue eventually.
It took awhile to convince DSS of this but with enough pictures they eventually made it a requirement to have their driveshaft covered by warranty. No cradle locks, no warranty.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
By far the most important item in a DSS one piece driveshaft install in a car that 60's quicker than 1.4x. The forward motion will most likely break your DS first but the trans would be an issue eventually.
It took awhile to convince DSS of this but with enough pictures they eventually made it a requirement to have their driveshaft covered by warranty. No cradle locks, no warranty.
I use cradle locks with my redeye driveshaft. I didn’t know they warranty their driveshafts now, pretty difficult/expensive to ship them

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
2nd that. I’ve had my aluminum one off and on a few times, and I’ve never noticed a difference from stock even up to 150ish. Knock on wood I guess

Member ID
Reactions
City
Princeton
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 super stock
Is the cradle lock enough too protect the trans? if lock is preventing forward movement, is a differential brace still needed?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Is the cradle lock enough too protect the trans? if lock is preventing forward movement, is a differential brace still needed?
Yes. Keep the diff brace.

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
The cradle lock is going to be the most critical item when upgrading to a one piece DS.
The diff brace serves a separate purpose,

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The cradle lock is going to be the most critical item when upgrading to a one piece DS.
The diff brace serves a separate purpose,
X2. Having learned what I have over the years now with these cars…. If you are going to run at a track with drag tires…. Locking the cradle down would be the first thing I would do. Followed by the full diff brace and then control arms.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #18
So back peddling a bit. Nothing has been formally diagnosed. Here are the symptoms. On wot there is no vibration. Zero. No misses. Pulls very strong. When cruising as soon as I start hitting 60 plus I start to feel the vibration. Gets worse with higher cruising speeds. Wheels and tires have been rebalanced. New redeye axles. No vibration when I rest my hand on the shifter for the automatic transmission. So that’s where I’m at.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
There’s been extensive posts on this. Your cradles are probably out of alignment.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
You said car was dropped off a lift, you hit something, and has been apart for mods. I bet front/rear cradles are loose/tweaked. You said you got everything rebalanced, what about aligned? And yes, wheels will still be “in spec” with tweaked cradles. Honestly, I would have sold it after it was dropped - would never expect the car to go straight after that