Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

EPA cracking down on performance tuning

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Today's Smithers report
1615829920201.png

swatdocsc

Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jefferson City
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
10,R/T12YJKT,15SPS,16 HC,19RE,22 S/S
FYI I put up 2 vids detailing the EPA incursion on the Florida mustang tuners. Here in Missouri a local diesel tuning shop was hit with a 10k fine for its shop/race truck being registered and out of EPA compliance. this happened just last week apparently they have been concentrating on the Deisel tuning crowd. for right now but like the Vids in Florida show auto tuners are next and Lund and Vmp were visited and with "search warrants". better sign the RPM petition and hope it goes through. and think twice before going the whole catless route. 10k is a pretty heavy fine.

Weather Man

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sauk Rapids
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat Widebody Redeye
FYI I put up 2 vids detailing the EPA incursion on the Florida mustang tuners. Here in Missouri a local diesel tuning shop was hit with a 10k fine for its shop/race truck being registered and out of EPA compliance. this happened just last week apparently they have been concentrating on the Deisel tuning crowd. for right now but like the Vids in Florida show auto tuners are next and Lund and Vmp were visited and with "search warrants". better sign the RPM petition and hope it goes through. and think twice before going the whole catless route. 10k is a pretty heavy fine.
The EPA in the court documents are contending that ANY alteration of the vehicle tune or any part associated with emissions is a violation. How far they are willing to take that position remains to be seen. The header makers are changing right now, we'll see what happens.

swatdocsc

Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jefferson City
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
The EPA in the court documents are contending that ANY alteration of the vehicle tune or any part associated with emissions is a violation. How far they are willing to take that position remains to be seen. The header makers are changing right now, we'll see what happens.
Thats a true statement, Stainless Works has stopped production on the "off-road mid-pipes." as of 2 weeks ago.

OP
mopar madness

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5
Thread Starter #65
I am assuming aftermarket pulleys, injectors and associated tune is part of that equation as well even though it doesn't necessarily affect the emissions of the car.

Weather Man

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sauk Rapids
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat Widebody Redeye
I am assuming aftermarket pulleys, injectors and associated tune is part of that equation as well even though it doesn't necessarily affect the emissions of the car.
In court filings the EPA has already said any replacement of a part affecting any element of emissions control is illegal. This was in their latest suit against EZ lynk.

46. The EZ Lynk System patent application expressly provides that the invention is capable of reprogramming “settings used to tune the engine for efficiency or performance, including settings for ignition timing advance, spark timing, fuel injection, electronic throttle control, poppet valve timing, [and] boost control.” Changes to any of these manufacturer settings can impact engine emissions controls. In addition, the patent application contains two figures demonstrating that the device is capable of modifying the “Pilot Injection” and the “Smoke Limitation,” both of which can also impact emissions controls. These various settings, including the Pilot Injection and the Smoke Limitation, are all Emission-Related Elements of Design.

The EPA position is that the car or truck as certified for emissions may not be altered, period.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Why don’t these do gooders go stick their nose in someone else’s ass? Nothing better to do than to f**k with us.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
It is not just cars and trucks, the ground swell for emissions control everywhere is pretty strong and only growing. As far as trucks is concerned the morons who think rolling coal is cool are the folks who shot everyone else in the foot. When you see that (instead of out of sight out of mind), shit hits the fan and "to be fair" they're having to address the entire spectrum of modifications. The VW scandal, which essentially invalidated local efforts at requiring tail pipe testing as a way to ensure compliance, is a big part of this. Want to bitch at folks, there's your targets.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I'd agree those "rolling coal" people are what got most of this running I suspect. The documents I link below seem to focus heavily on diesel systems, but now the EPA is using it to go after more than diesel systems. I've been doing some research on this and plan to put out a video on it for awareness. Looks like a law suit was filed by the Sierra club on the subject a few years ago and it's picked up steam since then.

Here's a few docs from the EPA that I'd suggest reviewing. They're pretty short actually, and VERY vague with lots of "might be" and "could be" language giving the EPA large gaps to work within.

This is the main one that not only spells it all out but also attempts to scare and intimidate the recipients with recent settled case information. Of particular note, even changing fuel injector information in a tune program is something that "could be" considered a violation, FYI.

Dated December 2020
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2020-12/documents/tamperinganddefeatdevices-enfalert.pdf

Dated January 2021
https://www.epa.gov/sites/productio...aatitleiivehicleenginepenaltypolicy011821.pdf

Dated November 2020
https://www.epa.gov/sites/productio...Cohim29tmRDB8P4Qv5oxdzJ2Ch2fksNDKOaWngfpWR-28

nGauge which was a very popular tuning platform has now filed bankruptcy and close up shop.

Better get educated on this and not think it's someone elses' problem to deal with if you enjoy this hobby/sport. I'm reaching out to my representatives today.

@Magnified have you looked at the RPM ACT to see if it will actually make sense? That's next on my list. Starts here: https://www.sema.org/epa-news what I keep seeing is "convert street cars permanently in to race cars" and while I agree that's important what about the weekend warrior guys that want to use race mods for off road, then convert back to drive on the street, seems that's left out.

Last edited:
OP
mopar madness

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5
Thread Starter #70
i liked the enforcement act, you too can be a rat for the EPA enforcment policies. lol

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Papers Please! Papers! (in my best German accent)

swatdocsc

Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jefferson City
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Or your drunk mamasan accent whichever is better?

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
Damn Speedy, didn't know you were so important the regime had to come and try to wield their powers to intimidate you!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I just told them "Don't you know who I am?!"

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
I just told them "Don't you know who I am?!"
I heard "C'mon Man." works.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
I would have flown in Hickster to handle it.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Ah, the ‘50’s. The good old days.
straight DDT fogging before epa was around. My mother said kids in the neighborhood would go out and run about in the fog mist because they were told it was fine she while she was kept in the house with windows closed as was I in the 60s and 70s by then they knew DDT was bad shit.

not saying the shit is totally dangerous and shouldn’t be used, it does have its use and place in mosquito control, but for Christ sake use common sense don’t dance about in the street huffing the shit before it disperses.

Last edited:

Trucker Bob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Out of IL. Thank God
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger M6
When dose the shooting start???

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I'd agree those "rolling coal" people are what got most of this running I suspect.

nGauge which was a very popular tuning platform has now filed bankruptcy and close up shop.

Better get educated on this and not think it's someone elses' problem to deal with if you enjoy this hobby/sport. I'm reaching out to my representatives today.

@Magnified have you looked at the RPM ACT to see if it will actually make sense? That's next on my list. Starts here: https://www.sema.org/epa-news what I keep seeing is "convert street cars permanently in to race cars" and while I agree that's important what about the weekend warrior guys that want to use race mods for off road, then convert back to drive on the street, seems that's left out.
On nGuage, if I remember correctly they were one of the big "F emissions controls, do whatever you want" facilitators. If that is the case, yes, you're basically going to be out of business. It's like folks on here, who shall remain nameless, who got on Youtube and basically told law enforcement and prosecutors "I lied to you and got away with it." When you go that, you might get by for a while, but once your big red flag gets them to focus on you, they'll bust your nuts. The law is the law (at least for now in this country).

As for the RPM Act, when I read it I think its impact will be minimal in things like this. It only allows conversion of street cars to purpose built race vehicles and exempts them from compliance. It still requires they not be driven on the public streets, etc.... So it would have no impact on rolling coal nitwits, or on modded Hellcats still driven on the streets (IF they fail compliance). Back when I was in Houston I think Magnusson was having a personality conflict because my supercharger said both that it was CARB compliant AND that it was for offroad use only. At one point when I was having computer problems I had to take it to the DPS testing facility (not just the local tail pipe sniffer) and have them run a full path study on it (without me present). It passed, but even if it hadn't I was ready to use a special registration exemption to get it approved. I think the end argument for the EPA is they want to legitimately do the job they are entrusted with by the nation, including protect the air from harmful pollutants. They played nice with the auto and SE market and got given the finger with the rolling coal and diesel test BS and that basically gave them no option. If they want to ensure enforcement and they can't even trust the OEM then they'll try to prohibit any changes from stock (and they may have an argument - if OEM is putting HC, GT500, RS6 Avant, etc... in people's hands, its not like there's a shortage of high HP cars available.... TO THE RICH is my key point). Easier to police the few manufacturers than everyone hotrodding their car. In the end, RPM Act wont fix any of that.

The industry and SEMA must in my opinion cooperate with the EPA and negotiate (EPA will negotiate). My play would be to offer some form of new assurance program: for example, the shop or tuner (or OEM) must certifiy that the modified car is still emissions compliant (and there will be substantial compliance violation penalties for the shop and the owner of the car if its not) and have that certified by the a third party or state tester. You can still get a hell of a lot of performance out of a car that meets EPA standards. And if there are folks who want to go whole hog full racing conversion, I believe the EPA will still be willing to exempt full conversions totally. But something must be done to rebuilt trust - you cannot have folks blatantly flouting the law and OEM actively working to undermine enforcement. If folks think the law is wrong, fight to change it; just because you don't like it doesn't mean you can break it any more than the stick up man who thinks the money in the till should be his and not the banks.

I'd love to help set this up and move towards a resolution, but I don't know who SEMA is paying to do their legal and I personally feel that many large law firms have ulterior motives. Sometimes solving the problem in my opinion takes a second set to extending the problem for revenue production reasons.