Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

First time out at the track with the hellcat, still hooked on drag racing!

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
So I went to the track Saturday and met up with some friends I haven't seen in a while. It was a great time! There was definitely some rust and the adrenaline dump from heading to the track and being excited is real. So the day started not so good. Forgot to lower the PSI in my tires and against my better judgement left the car in SPORT mode for traction control. Spun first through fourth and had to lift as the car got sideways, 14@115 mph. Was madder than hell, shook the rust off and went back to my gameplan. Set the tires to 20PSI, good burnout till smoke or 3 seconds, roll out. Turn off traction control completely, power brake till 1500 RPM and wouldn't you know, 11.06@119 MPH.

The track had decent prep, kept going through my ritual times got better. Didn't want to mess with the PSI, had it dialed in and the car was not spinning at all. Had the best pass of the night at the end against a pro-street truck. 10.94 @ 125mph.

First run is versus a Redeye Widebody and the second one is against the pro street truck. The car seems really happy with 1800 power brake launches. Launch control in this car is a joke and anything other than traction control off will just hurt your times. With that being said, if you turn off traction control and feel unsafe, LIFT! It will allow you to unpucker your butthole and save you more money than moving your insurance to Geico.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Indianapolis
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
17 Charger Hellcat
I usually start at 18psi and go down from there. Depends on what your wheel/tire set up and power as well tho. Good runs! Bet that redeye was upset haha!

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
So I went to the track Saturday and met up with some friends I haven't seen in a while. It was a great time! There was definitely some rust and the adrenaline dump from heading to the track and being excited is real. So the day started not so good. Forgot to lower the PSI in my tires and against my better judgement left the car in SPORT mode for traction control. Spun first through fourth and had to lift as the car got sideways, 14@115 mph. Was madder than hell, shook the rust off and went back to my gameplan. Set the tires to 20PSI, good burnout till smoke or 3 seconds, roll out. Turn off traction control completely, power brake till 1500 RPM and wouldn't you know, 11.06@119 MPH.

The track had decent prep, kept going through my ritual times got better. Didn't want to mess with the PSI, had it dialed in and the car was not spinning at all. Had the best pass of the night at the end against a pro-street truck. 10.94 @ 125mph.

First run is versus a Redeye Widebody and the second one is against the pro street truck. The car seems really happy with 1800 power brake launches. Launch control in this car is a joke and anything other than traction control off will just hurt your times. With that being said, if you turn off traction control and feel unsafe, LIFT! It will allow you to unpucker your butthole and save you more money than moving your insurance to Geico.
Well at least you got to get out finally. And a 10 sec pass, very good.

Sport for traction turns off the traction control and turning off the traction control manually does that and remove stability control.
So you would have spun anyways and the going sideways would have been a little more dramatic with it completely off. So why have it completely off. The part you want off is off in Sport. Just with a little safety feature added.
🤷‍♂️

Have fun at the track and keep us posted as you progress.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
Well at least you got to get out finally. And a 10 sec pass, very good.

Sport for traction turns off the traction control and turning off the traction control manually does that and remove stability control.
So you would have spun anyways and the going sideways would have been a little more dramatic with it completely off. So why have it completely off. The part you want off is off in Sport. Just with a little safety feature added.
🤷‍♂️

Have fun at the track and keep us posted as you progress.
Sport does not turn off traction control. Reduces it to 80% and will still pull timing on wheel slip. No bueno for drag racing. Ive accepted the risk. :). Like I said if it gets squirrely just take your foot off.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Congrats , Nice Passes !

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Sport does not turn off traction control. Reduces it to 80% and will still pull timing on wheel slip. No bueno for drag racing. Ive accepted the risk. :). Like I said if it gets squirrely just take your foot off.
Well I have been using Sport for years and that is not what I have experienced.
Also from pages of manual from fca.
I am in no way trying to be a smartass btw.
I have had my car try to kill me at the track a few times and that was in Sport for traction. At about the 1/8 when it goes it happens quick. So I'm happy to keep away from the danger button. LOL 20200531_182538.jpg

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Well I have been using Sport for years and that is not what I have experienced.
Also from pages of manual from fca.
I am in no way trying to be a smartass btw.
I have had my car try to kill me at the track a few times and that was in Sport for traction. At about the 1/8 when it goes it happens quick. So I'm happy to keep away from the danger button. LOL
100% didn't take it that way. Just after last year of racing I’ve found Sport to not do what it says.

I usually start at 18psi and go down from there. Depends on what your wheel/tire set up and power as well tho. Good runs! Bet that redeye was upset haha!
20psi was my baseline from my Scat Pack, I’ll do some experiments the next time out.