Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

First time out with the Hellcat

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I am finally able to log my runs now that I have a windows tablet in the car. I only could read 1 of my previous logs directly from my Diablo. I haven't got a clue why that one worked and all the others gave me an error.
So this year I have been logging. Still trying to figure out what pids to log.
As for sending logs to my tuner. That would require a couple of hours to figure out how to send them. Oh and actually having a tuner would help also. 🤣🤣
I will get brave enough one day but for now I'm still handicapped with a bone stock ecu.
@Mean Cat has had impressive results with just a tune/trans tune and now a pulley. So I may try to follow his lead with the first step at least at some point. Maybe when the Redeye guys have their cars figured out and can run more than .1 or .2 quicker than me with some consistency at my track. Then I maybe forced to equal the playing field. 😉
The questions that comes to my mind (because I’ve been there and never did figure it out) is:
Will going faster make you more competitive racing?
How much money do you want to spend?
Will it increase the chances of breaking expensive parts?
Do you have the wherewithal or energy to fix it yourself if it does break?
Will you still be able to go racing as often as you did before the mods?

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Come over to the Dark Side :LOL: @moparjim , your still close to RE's so I see your dilemma.

I don't data log mine , its always good so I just send it , my buddy did data logs on it in -1400 DA & when we had +2000 DA & it's dead on in every data log so I don't worry about it any more & just go race. It has a very conservative tune on 93 with cats & only 13* of timing. And I use a little Boostane at the track for extra cushion.
If the RE's get more consistent and there is more than .2 gap I may have to step up my game. LOL

The thing that has me puzzled is every log I have has what appears to be cat over temp protection.
The csr goes pig rich and increases the timing to 17 or so.
First times out on older 91 with vp octanium it was happening in the middle of 4th gear. Second time out with 94 and vp octanium it occcured in 5th gear.
So is it normal, caused by fuel or something else.🤷‍♂️

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
The questions that comes to my mind (because I’ve been there and never did figure it out) is:
So apparently we have gone through a very similar thought process.
Add to all these questions my total lack of and patience for technology.
I pretty much would be taking mods to a very low level. I have an Incognito pulley to try when I decide. The reason for going that route is the ease of reversing the mod.
The only other thing would be addressing the rear suspension alignment. A tune would be an engine tune for either the Incognito or stock and a trans tune.
The expense for that level isn't that great. Plus I am enjoying trying to get as much out of doing very little. I would like to get a 9.999 sec slip with any combination of these mods.
I do on occasion enter heads up races against faster cars. It would be nice to get a little closer to their times so I have a better chance. So far I'm good against cars that are about .4 quicker than me so a 10.0 or 10.10 car. If I can get down close to that myself I would have a chance against some of the 9sec cars maybe.
The low level of mods is to try to not get to a point where I have to start fixing the car all time. If it comes to that I will start racing my turbo buick instead. At least I have lots of parts for that. LOL

OP
YMMV

YMMV

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Morris Co
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
18 Charger HC
Thread Starter #44
Very legit questions. I know this was at MoparJim but I will add since I have same thought process.

I did the basic mods/bolt ons. I want things to be easily reversible Towards the end of ownership (when someone wants a new project or just plain tired of their current vehicle), they get harder to sell, esp. when the car has been molested so much it doesn't know its own identity. The time and money to de-mod, return to stock, sell all the parts are things I have no interest in since I'm getting older.

Going faster is all subjective, but you know that. I am more interested in how fast my car can go on pump 93 and full weight. I will only remove the seats if I am close to that 10.0/10.1 I have no plans to go past 10.0 or over 135mph. In NJ, a roll cage is needed for anything under 10.0 or if you trap over 135mph. Me, I want nothing to do with a roll cage in a 4dr sedan, or the lengths of installing/removing one.

Some people have unlimited funds. Everyone are in different positions in their life/money status. I have other hobbies including my 25ft Mako that eats up time and money as well.

More power will usually break something. As the saying goes, if you're not breaking parts, you're not going fast enough. Been there done that. No thanks.

As I get older, I want to work on the car less. Hell my body aches if I fart lol.

More mods make me want to race more. Who needs drugs when you have racing right?

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
@YMMV
Thankfully my track isn't that strict on that rule unless it's a big event. Then just put N/T in the window.
Here it is not legal to disable safety equipment. It also isn't legal to have a roll bar/cage on the street.
So thankfully they aren't strict.
I have already hit 134 in the late fall early winter. So not allot of room left for that rule.
And that is with no power adders.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
@moparjim @Mean Cat @Dman007 @YMMV

Data logs or Fred Flintstone XL sheets is very important to keep track of things even for just to see what the weather and temperature does to the car . I data log everything. I have thousands of logs . I still use them for comparison from time to time.

As for mods ( I know I'm one to talk lol ) I go for the non-intrusive mods too so they can be easily reversed. I don't race competitively or for money too much pressure for me . I race for fun only so I'm at that point of needing certain safety equipment installed in the car but that is outside of what I want to do to my car . It's a street car not a race car . So what do I do??

My race prep consists of 4 tires and 2 seats lol . With proper tools I can switch back and forth in 30 mins .

Seat time is the most important mod you can do to any car .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
If the RE's get more consistent and there is more than .2 gap I may have to step up my game. LOL

The thing that has me puzzled is every log I have has what appears to be cat over temp protection.
The csr goes pig rich and increases the timing to 17 or so.
First times out on older 91 with vp octanium it was happening in the middle of 4th gear. Second time out with 94 and vp octanium it occcured in 5th gear.
So is it normal, caused by fuel or something else.🤷‍♂️
The COT temp can be raised in the tune so that doesn't happen , mine has been raised , & as long as you let it cool down some between pass & not just beating on it round after round , it will not go into COT on mine.

It's when the cats get too hot at it's set point & it will start dumping fuel to cool the cats down & may pull some timing.

My stock boost tune was at 17* timing & the COT was still good.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
@moparjim @Mean Cat @Dman007 @YMMV

Data logs or Fred Flintstone XL sheets is very important to keep track of things even for just to see what the weather and temperature does to the car . I data log everything. I have thousands of logs . I still use them for comparison from time to time.

As for mods ( I know I'm one to talk lol ) I go for the non-intrusive mods too so they can be easily reversed. I don't race competitively or for money too much pressure for me . I race for fun only so I'm at that point of needing certain safety equipment installed in the car but that is outside of what I want to do to my car . It's a street car not a race car . So what do I do??

My race prep consists of 4 tires and 2 seats lol . With proper tools I can switch back and forth in 30 mins .

Seat time is the most important mod you can do to any car .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
Very legit questions. I know this was at MoparJim but I will add since I have same thought process.

I did the basic mods/bolt ons. I want things to be easily reversible Towards the end of ownership (when someone wants a new project or just plain tired of their current vehicle), they get harder to sell, esp. when the car has been molested so much it doesn't know its own identity. The time and money to de-mod, return to stock, sell all the parts are things I have no interest in since I'm getting older.

Going faster is all subjective, but you know that. I am more interested in how fast my car can go on pump 93 and full weight. I will only remove the seats if I am close to that 10.0/10.1 I have no plans to go past 10.0 or over 135mph. In NJ, a roll cage is needed for anything under 10.0 or if you trap over 135mph. Me, I want nothing to do with a roll cage in a 4dr sedan, or the lengths of installing/removing one.

Some people have unlimited funds. Everyone are in different positions in their life/money status. I have other hobbies including my 25ft Mako that eats up time and money as well.

More power will usually break something. As the saying goes, if you're not breaking parts, you're not going fast enough. Been there done that. No thanks.

As I get older, I want to work on the car less. Hell my body aches if I fart lol.

More mods make me want to race more. Who needs drugs when you have racing right?

I agree , & that's where I think my car is at too & don't really want to do more , she is pretty much finished where she's at. I don't want a total race car.
I would love to run low 9's but the cost is not worth the reward.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
The COT temp can be raised in the tune so that doesn't happen , mine has been raised , & as long as you let it cool down some between pass & not just beating on it round after round , it will not go into COT on mine.

It's when the cats get too hot at it's set point & it will start dumping fuel to cool the cats down & may pull some timing.

My stock boost tune was at 17* timing & the COT was still good.
That would require me getting a tune.
I was surprised even after being parked for an hour or more it still did it. And ambient temps were about 70f. So not hot out.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
That would require me getting a tune.
I was surprised even after being parked for an hour or more it still did it. And ambient temps were about 70f. So not hot out.
Yep , that's where even a stock boost tune comes in handy with some tweaks , COT temp raised or some go cat delete & just turn OFF COT in the tune but I didn't like the sound or the smell with cat delete so I went back to cats & there's no real hp gains anyway. And can adjust the radiator fans to come on sooner to keep it cooler.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Yep , that's where even a stock boost tune comes in handy with some tweaks , COT temp raised or some go cat delete & just turn OFF COT in the tune but I didn't like the sound or the smell with cat delete so I went back to cats & there's no real hp gains anyway. And can adjust the radiator fans to come on sooner to keep it cooler.
But still tuned. I'm not there yet. LOL

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Also in the tune , the tuner will give it more fuel to begin with so that helps it from COT & then raising the temp on COT also.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
But still tuned. I'm not there yet. LOL
I know but when you do ? … its gonna help in many ways.

You know what you need to do now. :LOL:

Last edited:

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I know but when you do ? … its gonna help in many ways.

You know what you need to do now. :LOL:
I guess I know why the stupid thing traps 134 in November. 🤣🤣