Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Ford Lightning vs Ford Supersnake road tripšŸ˜Ž

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
hey CC...2 things...first..yer fuckin shades are as big as yer windshield...and even movies have commercial breaks every 15 min..I had to pause twice to take a piss:giggle::giggle::giggle:

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
So how far was the total trip in miles?

What did it cost $$$$ to run the Lightning to your destination vs the Super Snake? Some of your charge was free, so any idea what it would have cost if it wasnt using the 150 with the 350?

Did you get enough time on the 350 charger before it puked to get an idea of how fast it would have charged had the charger not quit? and at .46 cents a KW hr, what would that have cost? I think you said 2.2 miles per KW hr is .20 cents a mile at that rate?

You kept saying the lightning is such a fun truck. What is so much more "fun" about it vs a regular pickup?

What fun factor makes up for adding 3-5 hours to a long drive vs gas n go and getting to your destination on time? Granted you wont always encounter the problems you had, but when "everyone" has an EV and demand for charging is the equivalent of what it is for gas pumps now, what will that look like. Particularly with out of service chargers.

Interesting experience nonetheless. Interested to see how the return trip goes.

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
Good point and think about this 2.2 miles per kw. Open road charging at say .44 cents. 386 miles divided by 2.2 miles equals 176 kw which equals $77 roughly. In comparison to 16 mpg and truck had to have premium fuel at say $6 a gallon equals 24 gallons purchased $144. But since I charged my truck before I left @.11 cents kw the costs for the electric is actually significantly lower. Just factor I really only needed to purchase say 50kw to get me there. So actually itā€™s $22 on the road and my house bill would be .11 cents times 131 would be $14.31 so total costs was $26.31šŸ˜

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
So how far was the total trip in miles?

What did it cost $$$$ to run the Lightning to your destination vs the Super Snake? Some of your charge was free, so any idea what it would have cost if it wasnt using the 150 with the 350?

Did you get enough time on the 350 charger before it puked to get an idea of how fast it would have charged had the charger not quit? and at .46 cents a KW hr, what would that have cost? I think you said 2.2 miles per KW hr is .20 cents a mile at that rate?

You kept saying the lightning is such a fun truck. What is so much more "fun" about it vs a regular pickup?

What fun factor makes up for adding 3-5 hours to a long drive vs gas n go and getting to your destination on time? Granted you wont always encounter the problems you had, but when "everyone" has an EV and demand for charging is the equivalent of what it is for gas pumps now, what will that look like. Particularly with out of service chargers.

Interesting experience nonetheless. Interested to see how the return trip goes.
As far as the fun factor comments I love the way the truck actually drives like a real truck. It does not feel
Like some electric created vehicle. And the instant torque is just incredible and speeds are really impressive. You truly do not feel like your driving a electric truck and you cruise dow the road. And with todays super quiet gas engines you as a passenger would really not know. Heading back tomorrow another 386 miles and Iā€™m towing back my motorcycle trailer bit probably will use my F-250 diesel and my daughter will follow in the Lightning. I could definitely make a good video pulling a trailer but already know that would be 3-4 stops which. Would be a really long day. Iā€™d guess I get about 120 -140 miles per charge but that means Iā€™m looking for charging at 100 miles or less. Thatā€™s the challenge is the spread of Charging stations that may force you to exit early to be able to manage the charging without running it to far . Part of me says start the trip out towing and see how itā€™s looking and then switch over at the first 100 mile charge to the F-250. Actually now you have me thinking šŸ˜‚

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
Itā€™s all @why2kmax faultšŸ˜

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Well this is a interesting dayšŸ˜³. Video later but damn still ainā€™t home šŸ™ƒšŸ™ƒšŸ™ƒšŸ™ƒ. Ran out of juice damn good thing I had a backup plan. Itā€™s the charging station infrastructure that truly sucks. Had to disconnect the Lightning to be able to get another 80 miles up the road to go to another charging station. Otherwise no way the truck and trailer would make it. The charging stations are not reliable and your screwed once you go to the last say 10-20 miles and then you find out the chargers are not working. Wow the video will show a lot of people towing with electric will not work unless itā€™s just 100 mile or less trips. 3703FCDF-805C-4550-8B3B-F43FA14DA553.jpeg 41B48576-4EC9-4F26-BCFF-D9775E9ADB02.jpeg A099462E-D581-471B-8F08-965C99A52C86.jpeg F29EE90C-7EAE-4CD6-9741-C628D5777908.jpeg

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
We are now just sitting in the F-250 as the lightning charges. This will be the last charge to get her home since sheā€™s unhooked. .9 tenths of a mile per KW while towing basically 120 -130 mile range but you have to start looking for a charging station at 80 miles. And this is the problem Electrify America does not have a good infrastructure close to each other. Meaning the locations are spread out 80-100 miles plus and need to be 25-50 miles.
7300566E-295A-4802-A598-A3B8CBA47824.jpeg

Slipaway16

Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartle Skeet
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Trackhawk
TFL already proved how unrealistic towing with electric is. I just think you like them at this point. šŸ˜

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Local driving only (within 50 miles round trip with a small trailer) in a $75K+ Lightening pickup! However, if you have a power grid outage, you can run your house on the Lightening. Great marketing! Is that just for a brief power outage? I wonder how long you can plug into the Lightening before it runs out of juice and if the Lightening has a full charge? I canā€™t believe CC has thoughts about using the truck to charge the Mustang? I guess if the GT-E is broke down on the side of the Washington Beltway, someone can drive the truck over and charge it? Will the truck then have enough juice to get home or a charging station?

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
are you able to use Tesla chargers or are they prohibitively expensive for the unwashed masses? Or do they just not allow it. Will be interesting to see the video of all that happened.

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
Local driving only (within 50 miles round trip with a small trailer) in a $75K+ Lightening pickup! However, if you have a power grid outage, you can run your house on the Lightening. Great marketing! Is that just for a brief power outage? I wonder how long you can plug into the Lightening before it runs out of juice and if the Lightening has a full charge? I canā€™t believe CC has thoughts about using the truck to charge the Mustang? I guess if the GT-E is broke down on the side of the Washington Beltway, someone can drive the truck over and charge it? Will the truck then have enough juice to get home or a charging station?
Yes the reality is charging a car from a car is a long time duration. One hour may get you 10 miles or so. And itā€™s just I guess a situation if your stuck say 10-20 miles away it works but like 50-80 that would be 8-10 hours if not more. The truck is truly a truck and pulls like crazy. Perfect around town tow like a landscaper, contractor, boater etc. anything beyond 100 miles is risky.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Yes the reality is charging a car from a car is a long time duration. One hour may get you 10 miles or so. And itā€™s just I guess a situation if your stuck say 10-20 miles away it works but like 50-80 that would be 8-10 hours if not more. The truck is truly a truck and pulls like crazy. Perfect around town tow like a landscaper, contractor, boater etc. anything beyond 100 miles is risky.
And these are just the preliminary short comings...and problematic issues...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
And these are just the preliminary short comings...and problematic issues...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
We pretty much all knew this was going to be a $75,000 plus experiment for most buyers..with limited capabilities..and limited range..and off site recharging concerns..(problems I don't need)..and that's what we know @ this point..undoubtedly this won't be the extent of the issues...ownership makes no sense to me...just my .02

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Just wondering @ChargerChallenger if the battery loses any of itā€™s charge if the vehicle is not used for a few days or a week, etc. or does it hold the amount of charge when it was parked?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Just wondering @ChargerChallenger if the battery loses any of itā€™s charge if the vehicle is not used for a few days or a week, etc. or does it hold the amount of charge when it was parked?
Two of the biggest enemies....heat and cold...here in WNY..winters (5months)..zero and below is not uncommon..summer heat..high 80's..low 90's..a few years of that should be a real life test for EV...and @ trade in time...what's the value of used battery...a lot of un answered questions...

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
Cold months yes but not a lot and Warner months not much at all.

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #18

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kalgoorlie
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Vehicle
2018 trackhawk
It's 600km to the city from where I live, only 1 charging station on the way, 340km from my house.....

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities