Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Fuel pump

Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Can a fuel pump slowly go bad, or does it fail all at once? I had the dreaded engine crank for 3 to four seconds before it fired up. Seems to do this about every 75 to 100 starts and then it is fine. Also I can swear it seemed like it was (street mode) stuck in 7th gear as I tried to speed up a little fast like I had to push the pedal further to get it to kick in.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
They slowly go bad. A lot of us notice it with tuned cars when we datalog

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
They slowly go bad. A lot of us notice it with tuned cars when we datalog
Mine isn't modded, does it sound like it may be the issue based on my description in your opinion?

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Mine isn't modded, does it sound like it may be the issue based on my description in your opinion?
I also have an 18 and had this same problem now and then. I remember reading threads that other 18s had the same issue. I did upgrade to fuel pumps and tuned and have never had the issue again.
i wish you had a way to datalog.

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
I also have an 18 and had this same problem now and then. I remember reading threads that other 18s had the same issue. I did upgrade to fuel pumps and tuned and have never had the issue again.
i wish you had a way to datalog.
Maybe when I get my new replacement HC emblum ,that may fix it :)

white1

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Prairieville
State
LA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 hellcat charger widebody
I've had them be intermittent where they worked fine until they got hot
I've had them just lose capacity quit working with e85 but work with 93 then quit working with 93
I've had them slowly go out
I've had them fail with no warning

For the most part they seem to go out over time though

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
How many miles on your car out of curiosity?

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I had a Pontiac GTP I was cruising down the road and just turned off, dead pump. There was a thread around somewhere that someone was troubleshooting a slowly going bad pump.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Sounds like a MGGT electric fool pump to me. Crap.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Good info from B. Mason...

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #11

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
My guess is your pump is getting week. Is that your issue hard to say. But from what I have seen the 25 to 30 mark is when it gets noticeable. I changed mine at 25.

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #13
My guess is your pump is getting week. Is that your issue hard to say. But from what I have seen the 25 to 30 mark is when it gets noticeable. I changed mine at 25.
What is the typical cost to have the pump replaced? I may be capable of doing it ,but I dont want to fool with it and have problems ,besides I really dont have the time with my job and other stuff. it is not under bumper to bumper warranty so I have the choice to get it done at my dealers service dept,I trust them they have done right by me for years,

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
What is the typical cost to have the pump replaced? I may be capable of doing it ,but I dont want to fool with it and have problems ,besides I really dont have the time with my job and other stuff. it is not under bumper to bumper warranty so I have the choice to get it done at my dealers service dept,I trust them they have done right by me for years,
I mean a stock pump replacement I could knock out in an hour or so I bet. But what a shop will charge you on time I have no idea. I'm assuming 2 to 3 hour is what the dealer would tell you. Call your dealer and report back. It isn't a car job. It is under the rear seat. That literally just pops off. Drivers side you pop the black cap off. Remove the lock ring. and disconnect the wires. Then remove the 2 fuel lines. It will pull out after that.

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #15
I mean a stock pump replacement I could knock out in an hour or so I bet. But what a shop will charge you on time I have no idea. I'm assuming 2 to 3 hour is what the dealer would tell you. Call your dealer and report back. It isn't a car job. It is under the rear seat. That literally just pops off. Drivers side you pop the black cap off. Remove the lock ring. and disconnect the wires. Then remove the 2 fuel lines. It will pull out after that.
Hey Jon ,I just talked to the dealer and they told me there are 2 pumps an aux and a main and they are not cheap, they dont want to see me spend upwards of 2 to 3k ,they suggested to bring her in and see if it needs a software update first ,that can cost a whole lot less. I described the issue and if it were the pumps it wouldn't be so random it would be a lot worse, so I will take her in to try that first. If it is the issue with a simple update I would like to know that first :)

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Hey Jon ,I just talked to the dealer and they told me there are 2 pumps an aux and a main and they are not cheap, they dont want to see me spend upwards of 2 to 3k ,they suggested to bring her in and see if it needs a software update first ,that can cost a whole lot less. I described the issue and if it were the pumps it wouldn't be so random it would be a lot worse, so I will take her in to try that first. If it is the issue with a simple update I would like to know that first :)
Do the update see what happens. If that doesn’t work I will help walk you through a dual pump upgrade. Their scanner at the dealer can monitor fuel pressure. Take the tech for a ride and go wot.

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #17
Do the update see what happens. If that doesn’t work I will help walk you through a dual pump upgrade. Their scanner at the dealer can monitor fuel pressure. Take the tech for a ride and go wot.
I will ,thanks ,I will let you know :)