Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Have you experienced the shift hiccup issue with your Redeye?

Have you experienced the shift hiccup issue with your Redeye?

• Total voters
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Franklin
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye
Multiple Redeye owners are experiencing a major shift delay/hiccup issue. The goal of this survey is to bring all owners and FCA visibility to this issue. And to quickly have a solution provided in a software revision via a TSB.

@DodgeCares Can you please respond letting all of the Redeye owners know that FCA/Dodge/SRT acknowledges the issue and are actively working on a solution?

Voters add the following details
1. What year?
2. Normal or wide body?
3. 2.62 or 3.09 rear gear ratio?
4. Type of rear tires?
5. What drive modes do you experience the shift issue in? Track only?
6. Does it happen during (WOT) wide open throttle only?
7. Between what shifts does it occur?
widebody
3.09 gear
m/t drag radials
all drive modes
WOT
Between first and second and second to third

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
widebody
3.09 gear
m/t drag radials
all drive modes
WOT
Between first and second and second to third
I am sorry this is happening to you. I sold my 2020 RedEye because mine did the 1-2 hiccup quite dramatically with perfect traction on a prepped surface. Yes it did it on the street too with the 315/50R17's. And I basically ordered the car to drag race. You know....go around to different events and bracket race or try and set a new Personal best etc. Travel with it chasing good DA etc. I pretty much did not do much else with it. In the end I owned it 3 months and it never worked right on the quarter mile so I cut my losses and let it go.

There was nothing else wrong with the car. Just not sure why FCA engineers would put the Calibration right on the ragged edge and let the car crash into the rev limiter over and over. Why not just shift a little earlier?

Member ID
Reactions
City
New Franklin
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
I am sorry this is happening to you. I sold my 2020 RedEye because mine did the 1-2 hiccup quite dramatically with perfect traction on a prepped surface. Yes it did it on the street too with the 315/50R17's. And I basically ordered the car to drag race. You know....go around to different events and bracket race or try and set a new Personal best etc. Travel with it chasing good DA etc. I pretty much did not do much else with it. In the end I owned it 3 months and it never worked right on the quarter mile so I cut my losses and let it go.

There was nothing else wrong with the car. Just not sure why FCA engineers would put the Calibration right on the ragged edge and let the car crash into the rev limiter over and over. Why not just shift a little earlier?
I feel the exact same way, did you talk to anyone at Dodge, SRT or dealership about it.

Member ID
Reactions
City
New Franklin
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
I feel the exact same way, did you talk to anyone at Dodge, SRT or dealership about it.
I only made two passes with a 11.11 best which isn't good, what were you turning at the strip

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Yes. After the first track visit I went straight to the Dealer. The Dealer did not find anything wrong, but obviously cannot duplicate the problem during a test drive. Then I opened a case with SRT. A buy back was denied at that level so it was elevated to a level 2 case. Keep in mind many phone calls and emails going back and forth and so many details I cannot list them all. SRT told me that they gave the video of the hiccup and description to the FCA engineers and that is was being elevated up the engineering chain. Their first response was for me to run in street mode and that would prevent the hiccup. Of course it will and it will be quite a lot slower too. Duh! But in my case the hiccup was not due to being run on OEM street tires. I explained that I was using drag radials and therefore there was no traction loss and the car could easily get down the track in track mode etc. They had me take it to another dealer and get a "second Opinion". That dealer also found nothing wrong. Of course not. They look for codes and if no codes are set then they call it good. They have no way of diagnosing this. So they discussed it some more and another week or two later I was told the car was OPERATING AS DESIGNED. So they designed it to over rev and close the throttle on the 1-2 shift. I highly doubt that. If they did then it is because they screwed up. Who wants a car like this? I even sent them data logs showing proof of what it is doing and with the video that is 100% proof. They still say it was operating as designed. I can't Lemon Law because they actually have to ADMIT there is something wrong. Catch 22. Then the light comes on. They are trying to prevent me from having an actionable complaint. Also can't go to arbitration because that is to decide on a warranty issue. Well they do not guaranty that it will go down a race track without a hiccup. Besides they are saying that is the way it was designed. Now you see why I decided to cut my losses and sell it......You think I am crazy I am considering a SRT SUPER STOCK???? This is the SECOND late model Challenger that I had to dump. The first one was a 2009 SRT8 Manual that would only run 14.5 @ 99 in the quarter mile when all the magazine test Vehicles as equipped ran 13.5 @108. I dumped that car after 4 months and lost $9000. I could not stand to look at it after I found out how slow it was. The TIME SLIP does not lie. Almost an exact repeat of this experience. 3 months and $9200.

Member ID
Reactions
City
New Franklin
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yes. After the first track visit I went straight to the Dealer. The Dealer did not find anything wrong, but obviously cannot duplicate the problem during a test drive. Then I opened a case with SRT. A buy back was denied at that level so it was elevated to a level 2 case. Keep in mind many phone calls and emails going back and forth and so many details I cannot list them all. SRT told me that they gave the video of the hiccup and description to the FCA engineers and that is was being elevated up the engineering chain. Their first response was for me to run in street mode and that would prevent the hiccup. Of course it will and it will be quite a lot slower too. Duh! But in my case the hiccup was not due to being run on OEM street tires. I explained that I was using drag radials and therefore there was no traction loss and the car could easily get down the track in track mode etc. They had me take it to another dealer and get a "second Opinion". That dealer also found nothing wrong. Of course not. They look for codes and if no codes are set then they call it good. They have no way of diagnosing this. So they discussed it some more and another week or two later I was told the car was OPERATING AS DESIGNED. So they designed it to over rev and close the throttle on the 1-2 shift. I highly doubt that. If they did then it is because they screwed up. Who wants a car like this? I even sent them data logs showing proof of what it is doing and with the video that is 100% proof. They still say it was operating as designed. I can't Lemon Law because they actually have to ADMIT there is something wrong. Catch 22. Then the light comes on. They are trying to prevent me from having an actionable complaint. Also can't go to arbitration because that is to decide on a warranty issue. Well they do not guaranty that it will go down a race track without a hiccup. Besides they are saying that is the way it was designed. Now you see why I decided to cut my losses and sell it......You think I am crazy I am considering a SRT SUPER STOCK???? This is the SECOND late model Challenger that I had to dump. The first one was a 2009 SRT8 Manual that would only run 14.5 @ 99 in the quarter mile when all the magazine test Vehicles as equipped ran 13.5 @108. I dumped that car after 4 months and lost $9000. I could not stand to look at it after I found out how slow it was. The TIME SLIP does not lie. Almost an exact repeat of this experience. 3 months and $9200.
That sucks, I guess I will start the process like you did. I was hoping Dodge would have a recall or fix for this problem by now. Mine really falls on its face on the 1-2 shift and still stumbles on the 2-3 shift. Kills my ET at the strip.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I don't understand how some Redeyes have the issue and some don't. How can the calibration be different from one Redeye to the next ???

Last edited:

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
That sucks, I guess I will start the process like you did. I was hoping Dodge would have a recall or fix for this problem by now. Mine really falls on its face on the 1-2 shift and still stumbles on the 2-3 shift. Kills my ET at the strip.
EXACTLY.

Member ID
Reactions
City
New Franklin
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
I don't understand how some Redeyes have the issue and some don't. How can the calibration be different from one Redeye to the next ???
Doesn't make sense. Hopefully Dodge will come up with a fix.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Doesn't make sense. Hopefully Dodge will come up with a fix.
Well I doubt there are different calibrations. If you can prove there are I don't see how Dodge wouldn't fix it. Pretty simple data log a few Redeyes that don't have the issue and data long the ones that do. If there is a difference then you have proof and they have no choice to fix it.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
A couple thoughts, your 11.1 is way off and I suspect there's more going on with that pass than just poor shifting(are you on street tires because then that's not too bad), but Ron's car would have run low to mid 10s based on his 6.6 1/8 mile times.

So a few weeks ago I did bring my car into the dealer to document the shift hiccup issue, and we did go out and did two separate data log sessions, one for the engine, one for the transmission. They sent the logs up the pipeline and told me it could be quite a while before I hear anything back....but they were eager to help me and data log at least, but they said doing anything about it is way above them at the local dealership level.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Just fwiw here was my old post about this in the other thread:

I did get in two separate data grabs, one for the transmission and one for the engine. My car was performing well and didn't do it's worst hiccup shifts, but I do believe we captured some delayed shifts. We made sure we were going straight on good pavement before we captured the cars data, and I have to admit the car didn't bog on shifts as much as it does in other driving situations like when there is a little steering angle or the pavement is crowned or uneven. I definitely didn't get my car's worst behavior captured, but I also feel I know I got a couple shifts that were delayed well beyond what they claim track mode shifts at. Also sent in some pics of my screen which doesn't show the Power Chiller as a selectable feature on the race options screen. FWIW my car did not have any stored error codes for engine over-revving or anything like that and I have had a ton of blowing off the tries shifts into the next gear, I did ask about it. They are going to send all the data and info up to the next level of service people and try to get it to the people at SRT. We will see I guess... Really appreciate my local dealer for doing this all on the same day, I called the service manager at 8:05 am this morning, had the car there at 9 am, we did data grabs on two separate occasions, and I was at home eating lunch before noon! Got a new Redeye hat and everything. No charge to the service dept. @DodgeCares

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
A couple thoughts, your 11.1 is way off and I suspect there's more going on with that pass than just poor shifting(are you on street tires because then that's not too bad), but Ron's car would have run low to mid 10s based on his 6.6 1/8 mile times.

So a few weeks ago I did bring my car into the dealer to document the shift hiccup issue, and we did go out and did two separate data log sessions, one for the engine, one for the transmission. They sent the logs up the pipeline and told me it could be quite a while before I hear anything back....but they were eager to help me and data log at least, but they said doing anything about it is way above them at the local dealership level.
You are correct 6.6s are usually 10.3-10.5.

SunnyS

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Siesta Key
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat
Just started reading about this issue and is there a way to have Curt or one of the other tuners work out this issue without losing $9200 on all these cars?

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Chall SRT Hellcat Redeye
Agreed. The difference is in the drivers, tracks, and vehicle setups... and that is where the issue really lies. If the dealer tells you they checked the car and it is performing as it should... that is most likely the case. STOP BLAMING THE CAR! I am willing to help redeye owners in this group solve this issue if it exists on their car. In the same token, I'm not willing to be personally assaulted by the thin-skinned know-it-alls who frequent this group and spread mis-information about these cars. Every car has its own characteristics. Redeyes are different than hellcats, etc. and will act differently.

If a member's redeye has this issue and they are serious about resolving it, I can show them how to isolate and find the issue as well as resolve it. This methodology works on both tuned and untuned redeyes. Here is what they will need to do:
1. You must have HP tuners and be able to datalog at least one pass at a track showing the problem. I will need you to log specific channels. Inbox me for details on that only if you are serious about following through.
2. You must be able to email me that datalog.
3. You must inbox me, I will not publicly provide solutions or how to info as the know-it-alls have ruined it for everyone and im not going to waste my time engaging them. Ive spent hundreds of hours and lots of my own money figuring this stuff out. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain here if you keep an open mind

Last edited:

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
One thing I’ve noticed in the 2-3 shift is it happens so fast if you mash the pedal at say 4000rpm you have like a half a second to shift the paddle or your bouncing off the limiter. Lately I’ve gotten good at shifting between 6000-6300 rpm and haven’t had an issue. Sometimes I think the Redeye really only revs to 6400 rpm. It seems once you hit like 6450 it’s rev limiting. I think the max shift if you can do it right without the issue occurring is shifting between 6300-6400rpm

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Chall SRT Hellcat Redeye
One thing I’ve noticed in the 2-3 shift is it happens so fast if you mash the pedal at say 4000rpm you have like a half a second to shift the paddle or your bouncing off the limiter. Lately I’ve gotten good at shifting between 6000-6300 rpm and haven’t had an issue. Sometimes I think the Redeye really only revs to 6400 rpm. It seems once you hit like 6450 it’s rev limiting. I think the max shift if you can do it right without the issue occurring is shifting between 6300-6400rpm
Dont use the paddles.

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
The motor revs up so fast I wonder if the dial on the tachometer might be 100 or 200 rpm behind what it actually is during the 1-2 , 2-3 shift. But I guess if this happens to you guys during Auto I’m not sure..

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dont use the paddles.
Wouldn’t have bought it without them 😀. I almost never let either hellcat shift itself. That’s more than half the fun and satisfaction of pressing the little dinky paddle shifters. I’m quite good at it too.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Agreed. The difference is in the drivers, tracks, and vehicle setups... and that is where the issue really lies. If the dealer tells you they checked the car and it is performing as it should... that is most likely the case. STOP BLAMING THE CAR! I am willing to help redeye owners in this group solve this issue if it exists on their car. In the same token, I'm not willing to be personally assaulted by the thin-skinned know-it-alls who frequent this group and spread mis-information about these cars. Every car has its own characteristics. Redeyes are different than hellcats, etc. and will act differently.

If a member's redeye has this issue and they are serious about resolving it, I can show them how to isolate and find the issue as well as resolve it. This methodology works on both tuned and untuned redeyes. Here is what they will need to do:
1. You must have HP tuners and be able to datalog at least one pass at a track showing the problem. I will need you to log specific channels. Inbox me for details on that only if you are serious about following through.
2. You must be able to email me that datalog.
3. You must inbox me, I will not publicly provide solutions or how to info as the know-it-alls have ruined it for everyone and im not going to waste my time engaging them. Ive spent hundreds of hours and lots of my own money figuring this stuff out. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain here if you keep an open mind
Ok, now we have all this secrecy? You think you are the only one that knows how to read a data log and tune a car? Just so you know I was data logging my car and I can read the logs just fine. So, I KNOW what it was doing and when.

Then you contradict yourself. You say stop blaming the car, but then you will help solve the issue? Does not make sense. Either there is an issue and there is something wrong with the car or there is not. If I am correct you are going to read the data log and if there is no perceved traction loss causing the hiccup, then you are going to command the 1-2 shift 100 rpm earlier. Only thing is, that would have not even come close to fixing my car. It would have taken more like 300-400 rpm earlier to get my car down the track without a hiccup. And then you act like any one of us can change the tune and shift sooner. I am not 100% sure but I don't think you have just one field with the 1-2 shift command value that you can take the factory setting and chang it to whatever you want. There are many tables that have to be re written and you have to know what you are doing.

The car is promoted in such a way as to include drag racing. So, it should go down the track without this mess (shift hiccup). None of us want our cars to do this. In fact it was alluded to me that the cause of the shift hiccup was me changing things on the car including the tires. So, your theory is completely wrong as far as Dodge is concerned. They want the car on the stock tires and the shift hiccup would be even worse. So they designed the car to crash into the rev limiter and go down the track all herky jerky.

Also keep in mind, your secret fix will restrict or void the warranty. Of course it should not hurt anything as you know but if they find out that will be the result.

And once again you are peddling a modification to the car to "solve this issue". Well, maybe some of us want to buy the car and throw on some drag radials and make some passes. Just like the one before, and the one before that and the one before that and they all worked just fine on the race track.