Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

headers

Bboyd

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Monongahla
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Hellcat
who is running headers? and what headers are u running? I believe i may be melting the cats.. so it time to upgrade.. Thanks

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I would just do cat deletes

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
My understanding is that the factory exhaust manifolds are designed so well no one has realized any gains on the HC+ by going to headers. Same with the CAI.

Beast707

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Carol Stream
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger WB M6 Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Bellanger would be my choice.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I knew you could clog cats, and then cause them to overheat, but either by clogging, or any other cause, I didn't know you could "melt" them. :oops:

Do you mean this in the literal sense?

OP
Bboyd

Bboyd

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Monongahla
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Hellcat
Thread Starter #6
Thanks! looking to try and loose some heat when we are at the track!! not so much hp gains..
After a day at the track a few weeks ago started to get some converter codes. so i ordered AWE exhaust... waiting still... so mid pipes and headers ? just mid pipes and cat back? do headers also? idk???

OP
Bboyd

Bboyd

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Monongahla
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
I knew you could clog cats, and then cause them to overheat, but either by clogging, or any other cause, I didn't know you could "melt" them. :oops:

Do you mean this in the literal sense?
at the track running 2.40 pulley the car gets hot quick, i know someone running same setup and told me before i did this..... exhaust could be a problem.. ??? im not sure SO instead of chasing a problem ill change it!!

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Kooks long tube and with catless mids, but now the entire exhaust is off of the car and just running turn downs.

Entire exhaust weighs 53 lbs. Huge weight savings.

OP
Bboyd

Bboyd

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Monongahla
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Hellcat
Thread Starter #9
Kooks long tube and with catless mids, but now the entire exhaust is off of the car and just running turn downs.

Entire exhaust weighs 53 lbs. Huge weight savings.
Thank u...

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
Thanks! looking to try and loose some heat when we are at the track!! not so much hp gains..
After a day at the track a few weeks ago started to get some converter codes. so i ordered AWE exhaust... waiting still... so mid pipes and headers ? just mid pipes and cat back? do headers also? idk???
I’m running kooks headers. Now if you install headers and catless mids you will gain substantial HP and a lot of noise lol. If your stock then I recommend not todo the headers. Most cats running headers are fully built and pushing 900 plus HP. Only reason why I installed the headers because the engine was coming out so I saved on the labor and needing as much air as I can get to feed the 426.
It’s your car do what you want. Good luck! Post up a video when it’s al done so we can hear before and after!👍💪🏻🏎

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I’m running kooks headers. Now if you install headers and catless mids you will gain substantial HP and a lot of noise lol. If your stock then I recommend not todo the headers. Most cats running headers are fully built and pushing 900 plus HP. Only reason why I installed the headers because the engine was coming out so I saved on the labor and needing as much air as I can get to feed the 426.
It’s your car do what you want. Good luck! Post up a video when it’s al done so we can hear before and after!👍💪🏻🏎
But we love more HP and noise!! :ROFLMAO::LOL:

But my entire exhaust is sitting in the garage and only running turn downs for racing. But turn downs sound great on the street...as long as the cops do not catch you. lol

OP
Bboyd

Bboyd

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Monongahla
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Hellcat
Thread Starter #12
No not stock and thanks for the info!! Blake

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
It's my understanding that if the cats get too hot the computer dumps extra fuel to cool them off. Which makes the car run rich and kills power.

I had a 2010 supercharged challenger srt. I ran kooks long tubes kooks mid pipes with high flow cats, and corsa extreme cat back. That was the most amazing sounding car I ever heard. Everyone said the same thing to me. I have even thought of putting the same setup on my kitty just for the sound. I wouldn't expect any performance gains from it though.

Beast707

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Carol Stream
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger WB M6 Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
It's my understanding that if the cats get too hot the computer dumps extra fuel to cool them off. Which makes the car run rich and kills power.

I had a 2010 supercharged challenger srt. I ran kooks long tubes kooks mid pipes with high flow cats, and corsa extreme cat back. That was the most amazing sounding car I ever heard. Everyone said the same thing to me. I have even thought of putting the same setup on my kitty just for the sound. I wouldn't expect any performance gains from it though.
Here's a good read on Headers. I like the idea personally.
https://belangerheaders.com/header-technology/

OP
Bboyd

Bboyd

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Monongahla
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Hellcat
Thread Starter #15

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
That was something I noticed about my kooks headers. Heat. The engine compartment was way hotter than it was with the stock exhaust.

If your stock exhaust is restricting the gases trying to get out then headers and high flow cats help.

As an example.
My eforce supercharger was set up to run 6 to 6.5lbs of boost. But I was only running 4.3lbs. Why?
I talked to edelbrock. They told me it was common to loose 1.5 to 2lbs. Of boost by running headers because they were less restrictive than the stock exhaust. This was exactly the case for my old srt8 challenger.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The stock manifolds are designed to work with the stock hp output of the engine. Replacing them with headers doesn’t improve on what the engineers at Dodge have built into the package. Mods that increase hp need to have adjustments made for that. Up to about the 900 hp point, the exhaust can be opened up enough by just replacing the stock cat pipe with one of the catless “off road” pipes. Beyond that.... headers are going to help. As far as heat goes..... there are things to help address that. I have my headers ceramic coated inside and out. That helps keep the heat inside the pipe to reduce radiation and it also help to maintain the exhaust gas velocity for increased power. B6C6BD93-2FF5-4613-A811-FA86E0FBA710.jpeg

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat

cats have to be hot in order to work, there like a furnace. when we had emission testing here if the car was going to fail the test, the test equipment would stop the test an have you run the engine at 2000 rpm to get the cat hotter to convert the gases more efficient to give the car a second chance to pass the test. over fueling turns the cat into a blast furnace an that`s when they melt. seen cats go cherry red because car had a miss fire dumping raw fuel into it.

so extra fuel will not cool a cat but it will cool down combustion chamber temps to reduce nox.

OP
Bboyd

Bboyd

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Monongahla
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Hellcat
Thread Starter #19
The stock manifolds are designed to work with the stock hp output of the engine. Replacing them with headers doesn’t improve on what the engineers at Dodge have built into the package. Mods that increase hp need to have adjustments made for that. Up to about the 900 hp point, the exhaust can be opened up enough by just replacing the stock cat pipe with one of the catless “off road” pipes. Beyond that.... headers are going to help. As far as heat goes..... there are things to help address that. I have my headers ceramic coated inside and out. That helps keep the heat inside the pipe to reduce radiation and it also help to maintain the exhaust gas velocity for increased power. View attachment 20152
. Thanks... great Info!!!