Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hellraiser pulley install...FAIL?!!!

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
You may want to check the bolt at the rear of the snout shaft and/or bearing plate bolt, check the bushings as well 1 or more may have broken there is nothing in the pulley that would create a sound like marbles
Isn't there a bearing in the back of the pulley?

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #82
You may want to check the bolt at the rear of the snout shaft and/or bearing plate bolt, check the bushings as well 1 or more may have broken there is nothing in the pulley that would create a sound like marbles
All was checked/fixed and or replaced in earlier posts on this thread. With no other changes, when stock pulley went on the noise was gone. I'm going to put the Jon Bond hard plastic (Pretty much a stock replacement) bushings in and see what happens after that.

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #83
Here's the latest and hopefully last installment on this thread.

OK, pulled the blower again for the fourth time. I just wanted to see how the stock pulley would react to the hard plastic Jon Bond bushings since it was quiet with the Joker's cloth/resin "soft" bushings, whereas the Hellraiser still made the marbles sound (quieter) even with the soft bushings. Two things of note here: 1) Even with less than 50mi. on the Jokers bushings there was a substantial resin residue on the pins (That's not rust in the pictures). 2) Measured against the stock bushings, the Jon Bond bushings def had a bigger receiving hole and bigger outside diameter. On the stock and the Joker's bushings some fell out (on removal) or slipped in position (on installation) into the receiving holes in the coupler and some needed a slight push to go in. The Jon Bond bushings were all VERY TIGHT on install and needed to be lubed on the outside diameter of the bushing and the receiving bore in the coupler then "walked in" with authority with a hammer and large punch to cover the full flange of the bushing and bumped in flush.

RESULTS. Even with the larger receiving hole's on the Jon Bond bushings the supercharger with stock pulley is STILL QUIET. :) .

CONCLUSION. Well I kinda went around the block to get next door. I spent 900 bucks on the snout and went back to the stock pulley BUT now I have the harder more durable ceramic bearings and the quick change shaft so I don't have to pull the blower again if I want to do a pulley change, plus I learned alot.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
So in your opinion what bushings do you like the best ?

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #85
So in your opinion what bushings do you like the best ?

I would have to say the stock or Jon Bond. I mean now I have the quiet and the longevity. My gut tells me the Joker's wouldn't stand up long term or would just get sloppy fast (But quiet. Lol.) I spoke with Jon and he did say they use a slightly bigger coupler pin when they rebuild, but I mean his bushings inner holes are like a .1000'th? ,1 1/2? or 2? over stock , so I mean slightly. But it's def there. The outside diam. was the real feel difference for now. I don't know about over time but I'd have to say that the screw I was using in the pic to get out some of the more stubborn bushings was easily pulled on with a pair of pliers to get them out. With the Jon Bond, I'd say I'd need a slide hammer behind the screw.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I would have to say the stock or Jon Bond. I mean now I have the quiet and the longevity. My gut tells me the Joker's wouldn't stand up long term or would just get sloppy fast (But quiet. Lol.) I spoke with Jon and he did say they use a slightly bigger coupler pin when they rebuild, but I mean his bushings inner holes are like a .1000'th? ,1 1/2? or 2? over stock , so I mean slightly. But it's def there. The outside diam. was the real feel difference for now. I don't know about over time but I'd have to say that the screw I was using in the pic to get out some of the more stubborn bushings was easily pulled on with a pair of pliers to get them out. With the Jon Bond, I'd say I'd need a slide hammer behind the screw.
Thanks .
I will have my supercharger off the car this winter for an inspection so I will be replacing these just because it's a part .

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
@coolblue

Any updates or changes on this?

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #88
@coolblue

Any updates or changes on this?
Hey @BULL , thanks for the check in.
I sold My pulley to James (@Hpindy ) for what I bought it for and he took it to Litens, which just happens to be a hop, skip, and jump from him. They told him it was a proto-type not to be put up for sale and sold him a new one for a song. My car thus far is running perfect with the Jon Bond bushings and no more mods... for now. Gonna have to check with James for the latest on the convoluted tale of the traveling pulley. I haven't been on here regularly lately, don't know if he's updated his own posts recently.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I sold My pulley to James (@Hpindy ) for what I bought it for and he took it to Litens, which just happens to be a hop, skip, and jump from him. They told him it was a proto-type not to be put up for sale and sold him a new one for a song. My car thus far is running perfect with the Jon Bond bushings and no more mods... for now. Gonna have to check with James for the latest on the convoluted tale of the traveling pulley. I haven't been on here regularly lately, don't know if he's updated his own posts recently.

Thanks for the update!

I'm curious, how did you come by one of their prototypes??

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Yes I got a brand new up-to-date pulley . Unfortunately it was late in the year so my car was off the road . But I will be starting my upgrades soon and the pulley will be installed then . I will report back .

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #91
Thanks for the update!

I'm curious, how did you come by one of their prototypes??
Believe it or not E-bay. I believe the guy told me he was with BES race engines when I asked him a question before buying, but the pulley was listed as new without box or supporting install hardware , no mention of prototype.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Yes I got a brand new up-to-date pulley . Unfortunately it was late in the year so my car was off the road . But I will be starting my upgrades soon and the pulley will be installed then . I will report back .

Sooo...
This is how I find out about new stuff going on the car. EH!!!!
🤔😂🤣

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Sooo...
This is how I find out about new stuff going on the car. EH!!!!
Oops .....

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
See, I got the distinct impression from the other thread in the Marketplace that it was only a "test", and would be coming off after the "test".

So I was going to offer to buy it (at a significantly reduced price of course) because certainly you wouldn't want to keep a part like that when you could so easily turn it in to beer money...

:unsure:

:ROFLMAO:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
See, I got the distinct impression from the other thread in the Marketplace that it was only a "test", and would be coming off after the "test".

So I was going to offer to buy it (at a significantly reduced price of course) because certainly you wouldn't want to keep a part like that when you could so easily turn it in to beer money...

:unsure:

I assume this is in regards to me . Lol

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I assume this is in regards to me . Lol

BTW, I closed out that thread in the WTB forum.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
BTW, I closed out that thread in the WTB forum.
Oops I forgot about that .

I haven't had a chance to "test" this pulley yet..... But I will post about it when I do . And yes IF it goes up for sale I will let you know ....

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #98
Oops I forgot about that .

I haven't had a chance to "test" this pulley yet..... But I will post about it when I do . And yes IF it goes up for sale I will let you know ....

So you're gonna let'm know your giving me first crack at it and selling it to me for cost,....IF, it goes up. Just to keep'm up on the current events. You're a good guy and forum user James. :LOL:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
So you're gonna let'm know your giving me first crack at it and selling it to me for cost,....IF, it goes up. Just to keep'm up on the current events. You're a good guy and forum user James.
I will definitely post about the pulley if I use it or. Not . First I have to finish my engine .