Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hellraiser pulley install...FAIL?!!!

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I installed a Hellraiser pulley yesterday. Initial start up was fine. Took car out today for 30 mile drive shakedown. Drove like an old lady 55- 60mph all the way with one stint to maybe 70mph, didn't even get into boost at all. Come back pull car in driveway and pop hood....MARBLES! I got marbles in my supercharger!. WTF! It's definitely sounds like the front of supercharger inside snout.
I can't figure this out. I did not smash, bash or man-handle anything carelessly. In fact the the super charger and the front and rear bearing plate never came apart, so the rotors should have never moved or been out of alignment.
The only thing I can figure is when I had the Metco pulley removal tool bolted up to the snout I used a breaker bar to loosen the pulley, but all she did was turn but not break free. I then used a P.O.S. electric 1/2 inch impact gun to shock it off but it didn't have the balls to snap it loose. But I did sit there for a few seconds while it rattled uselessly trying to do it. I zapped it like 5 times like that. Nothing. Fortunately my brother still has a compressor so I brought my 1/2 inch pneumatic impact gun over to his house and 'Braaaap'...right off.
I took the tension off the blower belt while engine was hot and with a leather glove on tried to move the pulley. The front to back motion is dead tight (maybe a few thousandths) but back and forth has about 3/16" rocking motion. Do yo think I could've hammered out the bearing with the electric impact gun? And BIG QUESTION: Do you think I could've fuc^&* up the case and rotors?

Last edited:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I doubt it. I took my stock pulley off with an impact but used a torque wrench to re-install the Hellraiser. Are you certain the bolt holding the pulley was torqued to spec and didn't back out?

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Shit Cool. Hoping for the best outcome for you on this. Pls keep us informed.

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #4
I doubt it. I took my stock pulley off with an impact but used a torque wrench to re-install the Hellraiser. Are you certain the bolt holding the pulley was torqued to spec and didn't back out?
I torqued it to 70ft/lbs as per your video. Lol. Seriously, I'm afraid to pull this apart when it cools down, I don't know what could be rattling like that. I thought this was a slam dunk, easy breezy. I was even gonna' WIKI it to show some small differences between your blower and mine and some install things I did or would do different or pay attention to. The car is running perfect but that noise sounds ominous.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Can you post a vid?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Sorry guy

Subscribed

I'm thinking of doing some blower work this winter.

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #7
Can you post a vid?
Sorry @Speedy! I already started disassembly last night in prep for this morning. And last time I tried to post a vid from my phone it wouldn't take on this site. I didn't want to pull blower apart hot. I was afraid of worpage taking apart the aluminum blower and I thought the rubber in the gaskets would have a better chance of not sticking cold? I'm hoping the gasket set will survive another disassembly/assembly. I DK maybe I'm just getting damage paranoia.

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #8
Sorry guy

Subscribed

I'm thinking of doing some blower work this winter.
Thanks BULL. Hope yours goes without a hitch.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Sorry @Speedy! I already started disassembly last night in prep for this morning. And last time I tried to post a vid from my phone it wouldn't take on this site. I didn't want to pull blower apart hot. I was afraid of worpage taking apart the aluminum blower and I thought the rubber in the gaskets would have a better chance of not sticking cold? I'm hoping the gasket set will survive another disassembly/assembly. I DK maybe I'm just getting damage paranoia.
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Only way I was ever able to post videos to these sites is to upload to YouTube then post a link to the video in a post here. Hoping you get this sorted and it’s nothing serious, maybe the bolt on the coupling side came loose.

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #10
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Only way I was ever able to post videos to these sites is to upload to YouTube then post a link to the video in a post here. Hoping you get this sorted and it’s nothing serious, maybe the bolt on the coupling side came loose.
Thanks. I'm just hoping it's the least damage of a bad scenario. If it's the pulley, coupler, or snout it sucks and a PIA and more work but if it's the case and rotors or something got sucked up in the assembly.... then, that's the big problem and the big money and even more work . Yea, that would suck big -time.

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I know I had a 2.85 on my car for almost 2 years, swapped to a 2.79 and within days I had marbles in my blower. This was a 2016 hellcat though. Hopefully you just have something not done right and not the blower dying! You also get the tune loaded and everything?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I know I had a 2.85 on my car for almost 2 years, swapped to a 2.79 and within days I had marbles in my blower. This was a 2016 hellcat though. Hopefully you just have something not done right and not the blower dying! You also get the tune loaded and everything?

What was the eventual outcome of the 2.79? Did you end up with a rebuild?

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thanks. I'm just hoping it's the least damage of a bad scenario. If it's the pulley, coupler, or snout it sucks and a PIA and more work but if it's the case and rotors or something got sucked up in the assembly.... then, that's the big problem and the big money and even more work . Yea, that would suck big -time.
Get the lid off it and look at the rotors, if the black coating is shiny and even blower is most likely ok or at the worst not a costly rebuild. If the rotors touched and coating is worn anywhere it’s going to be expensive, 3500-4K for a quality rebuild. 🤞

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Get the lid off it and look at the rotors, if the black coating is shiny and even blower is most likely ok or at the worst not a costly rebuild. If the rotors touched and coating is worn anywhere it’s going to be expensive, 3500-4K for a quality rebuild. 🤞

Is there anyone else besides Jokerz that is doing rebuilds? (Putting the porting aside for the moment)

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
I truly hope you didn't frag your SC. However if so, don't even bother rebuilding that IHI junk. Make the jump and get a hardcore SC you'll never need to worry about again.
1600122650765.png

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #16
OK. Pulled it apart @9:15 morning. Every thing on blower side looks good. Rotors as far as I can see look good. Check the bolt holding coupler on snout side and yep its loose. Can spin it off with my fingers. My thoughts were when I was zapping the pulley with the electric impact gun, it shocked it loose. I torque it back down (couldn't find specs, so I google 'torque on 10mm bolt' and got 55lbs for a 10.9 grade metric bolt. Bolt specs out at 9.66mm dia. so I torque it to 50lbs). Problem found and solved. Put it all back together. Start it up. Quiet,perfect, bring it up to temp, and running great. Take it out for a short ride (maybe two miles) and still running great. Pull in driveway pop the hood and... MARBELS. WTF!!!
The only variable is the Litens pulley. When I pull it apart again if the bolt is loose again (I gotta think it's a defective or early Litens design/decoupler problem?) It's going back to stock. I'm hoping there's no real permanent damage. Noise is definitely coming from front of blower. Sounds like it's right under the electric pressure relief valve.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
😝 78F909D8-6D6F-4D97-BC3F-4CB2CD5AFA84.jpeg

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Is there anyone else besides Jokerz that is doing rebuilds? (Putting the porting aside for the moment)
Jon Bond does complete rebuilds including recoating the rotors and performance upgrades

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
OK. Pulled it apart @9:15 morning. Every thing on blower side looks good. Rotors as far as I can see look good. Check the bolt holding coupler on snout side and yep its loose. Can spin it off with my fingers. My thoughts were when I was zapping the pulley with the electric impact gun, it shocked it loose. I torque it back down (couldn't find specs, so I google 'torque on 10mm bolt' and got 55lbs for a 10.9 grade metric bolt. Bolt specs out at 9.66mm dia. so I torque it to 50lbs). Problem found and solved. Put it all back together. Start it up. Quiet,perfect, bring it up to temp, and running great. Take it out for a short ride (maybe two miles) and still running great. Pull in driveway pop the hood and... MARBELS. WTF!!!
The only variable is the Litens pulley. When I pull it apart again if the bolt is loose again (I gotta think it's a defective or early Litens design/decoupler problem?) It's going back to stock. I'm hoping there's no real permanent damage. Noise is definitely coming from front of blower. Sounds like it's right under the electric pressure relief valve.
Unfortunately you’re going to have to take it apart again and if that bolt is loose again on that coupling the fit between the coupling hub and shaft is bad because it’s a interference fit between shaft and hub held only by the bolt torque and clamping force just like the harmonic balancer is, no keyway in it unfortunately. I have a few pictures of a spun one, I’ll post if I can find.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

If I recall correctly (and there's an excellent chance I'm wrong on this...), There exists the possibility that during your struggles to initially remove that bolt that you MAY have loosened the bolt on the backside of the snout???

Forgive me if I'm smoking Crack....