Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

How many here feel the waxes and other so called paint protection products are more hype than reality?

How long does your wax last with your car parked outside

• 1 month

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • 2 months

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • 3 months

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • 4 months or longer

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
There are certainly some waxes that are better than others and some more expensive than others. I just wax mine every few months and keep going. My neighbor has a couple people come and give his 1/2 dozen, high end cars the full monty quartz job for about $3,000 each. Ridiculous!!!

Lize

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bury St Edmunds
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye
I've had a few coatings done, only one of those products has been any good, another seemed non-existent when washing and the third deteriorated about a month in and looked dirty and was a hell of a job to remove by hand. The good one was supposed to last a couple of years but in fact was much less effective before the end of the first year. Think all that claim to be long term are over ambitious.

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #23
I do think a lot of the waxes out there are more hype than help. I've used top shelf ones and average ones. It really comes down to a couple of things:
1. How much time you want to devote to the process
2. How much skill you have in detailing
3. How much joy it brings you in seeing the finished product
I am like most in that I enjoy seeing the finished product but obsessing about having the paint being perfect or near perfect all the time does take away from the joy of experiencing the car. When ever I sell a car, the new owner marvels at how great it looks and can't believe how it looks vs. other "like" cars they have seen and as they drive away in it, I question "why didn't I enjoy that car a little more and detail a little less"? Trying to change my behavior a bit before it's too late.
Great points and what gets me is the so called trade value and even retail value does not increase by thousands and thousands of dollars Either.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I do think a lot of the waxes out there are more hype than help. I've used top shelf ones and average ones. It really comes down to a couple of things:
1. How much time you want to devote to the process
2. How much skill you have in detailing
3. How much joy it brings you in seeing the finished product
I am like most in that I enjoy seeing the finished product but obsessing about having the paint being perfect or near perfect all the time does take away from the joy of experiencing the car. When ever I sell a car, the new owner marvels at how great it looks and can't believe how it looks vs. other "like" cars they have seen and as they drive away in it, I question "why didn't I enjoy that car a little more and detail a little less"? Trying to change my behavior a bit before it's too late.
Cause thats probably why they bought it...kinda like women and makeup.....you took the time to make it look good...image is everything...;););)

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I've had a few coatings done, only one of those products has been any good, another seemed non-existent when washing and the third deteriorated about a month in and looked dirty and was a hell of a job to remove by hand. The good one was supposed to last a couple of years but in fact was much less effective before the end of the first year. Think all that claim to be long term are over ambitious.
Are you talking about your car...or the men in your life:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Autoscrub.png
I would use this before I would even dream of a clay bar these days. It's a whole lot quicker and easier with this and a machine polisher to remove paint contaminants.

Lize

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bury St Edmunds
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
Are you talking about your car...or the men in your life:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:
Is it bad to say I'd rather have cars :D

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Sorry.... but i just couldn't resist that one...ya see my point thou....:p:p

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Is it bad to say I'd rather have cars :D
Not at all....as long as it's a HC;)

Lize

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bury St Edmunds
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
Not at all....as long as it's a HC;)
1 of 9, would like 10 to be a 68 Charger :unsure:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
1 of 9, would like 10 to be a 68 Charger :unsure:
The 68 Charger...I could stare at that car for days...timeless design...you sure you ain't a bloke ????:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Lize

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bury St Edmunds
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
The 68 Charger...I could stare at that car for days...timeless design...you sure you ain't a bloke ????:unsure::unsure::unsure:
Postive :p

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I got mine with a five year warranty... did they bake yours?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
View attachment 27949
I would use this before I would even dream of a clay bar these days. It's a whole lot quicker and easier with this and a machine polisher to remove paint contaminants.
Interesting

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
If anyone wants to test a wax, you can wax my car and I will tell you how it stood up:)

Lize

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bury St Edmunds
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
No, they were are all sort of glorified waxes. The better one - Supagard (UK product) had a warranty which I think was 3 years but I never bothered trying to claim on it as they'd just worm out by saying I'd used the wrong shampoo or some such.

B5Cat16

Member ID
Reactions
City
S
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
In my opinion it starts with clay bar. You NEED to clean the surface. Once it's clean, I use Evercoat finish wax 100056. Goes on easy, comes off easy, looks amazing. 6 out of my 7 cars are garaged. My rainy day, train station, who cares where I park it, beater 95 Honda is 25 years old and it sits outside. NEVER garaged. Clay bar and Evercoat. Enough said.

Attachments

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #38
If anyone wants to test a wax, you can wax my car and I will tell you how it stood up:)
You drive too damn fast nothing will stick:geek:

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Yeah but try to use that warranty without proof of using Reset shampoo for washes and a coat or Reload every 6 or so months and you will likely be denied. It probably will be on there for 5 years but for these coatings to keep their true luster and shine you do have to do much more than just washing the car from time to time.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Mine is different. Post up somewhere here. No need for any special treatments or BS like that. If it develops problems, take it by and my man will fix it. Already had them redo the deck lid. (this is the place where they had three Ferraris and other lesser cars on the floor being worked on and when we pulled the Charger in they guys all congregated around it and ohed and ahhed.... - they can't own those Itai star cars, but can get in the similar performance envelope with this Dodge.) My problem is its in Houston and I'm not. But if it got bad (and it may have under all the dirt on it now) I'll make the trip (lots of other reasons to go down there too).