Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hypocritical Car Care People

GdBye

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Midland
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
So I have a close relative who is always telling me the secret to keeping his vehicles running strong is that he uses Amsoil. He's also the same guy that calls me to bring him gasoline because he ran out on the side of the road somewhere. The one that really stands out was when he bought an old pickup with a broken frame. From a side view, the truck look like a "V" shape. He drove it around and surprisingly didn't get stopped by the police. There was even a hole punctured at the top of the fuel tank. If he hit the brakes hard, fuel would spill out. He still has the truck but it's sitting in his backyard. The motor still runs though thanks to the Amsoil.

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
Some people will never get past that 3,000 mile oil change they think they have to do it because they were taught that. I change mine once a year on my summer car. I do 10k+ miles a year on the same oil. Did that 3 straight years on a supercharger Mustang and when I went to forge the bottom end it looked like new inside. I credit a lot to that from using Amsoil. Could other oils perform the same, sure, but that is what I was using and still do
I would love for an SRT engineer to come on here and tell us why the Hellcat maintenance schedule requires six month oil changes. I do it but in a good year might put 3k miles on my car. My supercharged Boss 302 gets an oil change once a year and I put about the same mileage on it. Probably stupid to do the Hellcat every six months but maybe there is a reason?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I would love for an SRT engineer to come on here and tell us why the Hellcat maintenance schedule requires six month oil changes. I do it but in a good year might put 3k miles on my car. My supercharged Boss 302 gets an oil change once a year and I put about the same mileage on it. Probably stupid to do the Hellcat every six months but maybe there is a reason?
They get more money out of people that don't change their own oil. Or maybe that is as long as they trust pensoil

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
It seems excessive to me too. By comparison my wife's Infiniti Q50 400 Red Sport (400hp, twin turbo, V6) calls for 1x per year or 10k miles. The oil in that car runs thru the turbo bearings and they warrant it for 4/60 !

I will not be doing every 6 months once the warranty runs out as I only put on about 2k miles/yr and I never 'short trip' it when I do take it out.

OP
W

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #26
I've got a YT video showing an oil change analysis that was good to go on my meth injected supercharged 4Runner that gets once a year oil changes with just Penzoil Platinum 10W30 synthetic. People jump up and down telling me how the engine is going to be ruined, etc etc in the comments and I love to respond telling them I've owned it for right at 20 years and it's still going strong. They never respond after that. :unsure:

Then I assume low annual mileage. This guy said he drove about 35000 miles a year, one oil change a year. He actually had the ignorance to also tell me if i ran amsoil i would not need to open the hood and check the oil level. That is just stupid!
I like to keep an eye on my fluids level, i don't care if its a car, dozer, helicopter, or semi truck. I also don't care what oil it had in it, wouldn't run it 35000 miles between changes. I'm curious how long his 2019 Genesis lasts. Not to mention that year one he voided the warranty, so if it does go BOOM, Genesis will not be helping him. Me, I'll just keep doing what has worked well for me for a long time now. I also won't be letting my car idle 10 minutes to warm the engine up, then peel out and start gear slamming it down the road. The engine maybe warm, but the rest of the car needs a little exercise to before hammering it.
I plan to keep this car till my daughter is 16, then hand her the keys, because it is the same age she is, 2017 was a good year.

OP
W

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #27
Don't diesels run cool at idle...need to put a load on it to generate heat? Crazy...
Correct. It is also not good for them to idle, especially low rpm idle.

OP
W

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #28

Attachments

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Sorry, Whatknot, but I don't buy into that bogus 6-month oil change crap.
For the Challengers that would basically mean changing the oil again in the spring with zero miles (and starts) on it. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Idling? My '17 Ram 3500 diesel has 11 idle hours on it. I hate idling engines. If I start a vehicle it gets driven until everything is warmed up, if at all possible. I'll push or tow them before cold starting them.

When driving something, I wait until the oil is at operating temp before leaning on it. And it's rare that I drive something less than 100 miles at a time.Usually it's at least 200.
One exception is break-in.To get the diff gears heated and cooled correctly, the first 100 miles or so are in 20-25 mile increments, with complete cool downs in between. But then the engine oil gets changed at 500, both to make up for those short drives and to get the break-in crap out of the engine.

On the other hand, most of my vehicles are very rarely washed, so I guess I'm abusing them after all.

OP
W

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #30
Sorry, Whatknot, but I don't buy into that bogus 6-month oil change crap.
For the Challengers that would basically mean changing the oil again in the spring with zero miles (and starts) on it. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Idling? My '17 Ram 3500 diesel has 11 idle hours on it. I hate idling engines. If I start a vehicle it gets driven until everything is warmed up, if at all possible. I'll push or tow them before cold starting them.

When driving something, I wait until the oil is at operating temp before leaning on it. And it's rare that I drive something less than 100 miles at a time.Usually it's at least 200.
One exception is break-in.To get the diff gears heated and cooled correctly, the first 100 miles or so are in 20-25 mile increments, with complete cool downs in between. But then the engine oil gets changed at 500, both to make up for those short drives and to get the break-in crap out of the engine.

On the other hand, most of my vehicles are very rarely washed, so I guess I'm abusing them after all.

Sounds similar to me actually. But I wouldn't do 35,000 mile a year, changing oil once a year. Now if i drove only 8,000 miles a year, sure why not if running synthetic oil. But I would still pop the hood and check it occasionally.

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT

If I were to guess as to why the crazy maintenance schedule, I would assume it’s because of the, “tight tolerances,” and the fact that Dodge chose to have a “special” formulated oil dug up and put into production. It also might have to do with the fact that Dodge expects everyone to drive these cars like they do in the commercials. You know, slamming gears, pedal to the floor around every single corner, and every trip being WOT from start to finish.

you know, getting from the house to the McDonald’s 20 miles away in 4 minutes.
They’re so very picky with what they will and won’t warranty, as long as you follow the rules, you’ll be fine. Dot your Ts and cross your Is, three steps back a left foot wiggle in the air with your right hand patting your tummy.

Another thing that interests me is the differences in oils available for these SRT engines. Schaefer’s has developed an oil specifically designated ONLY for the 6.4L power wagons and using it in the other SRT Hemis will void their warranty, somehow. While Amsoil/Pennzoil/Mobil all designate their 0w-40 for any of the SRT Hemis. One of these days I’ll do analysis on the differences between the oils, should I ever get the time.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Sounds similar to me actually. But I wouldn't do 35,000 mile a year, changing oil once a year. Now if i drove only 8,000 miles a year, sure why not if running synthetic oil. But I would still pop the hood and check it occasionally.
I can't add 8,000 miles per year to anything, let alone 35,000.

Heck, my '17 3500 just broke 19,000 and it generally only goes on 900 to 2,800 mile trips.
Took me 18 months to put 1,700 on the Trackhawk, and the '18 Challenger is now at about 4,500. A '14 Ram 1500 had 22,000 on it when I sold it recently, and it was a designated all-weather daily driver.

Sometimes I think I spend more time on maintaining vehicles and equipment than actually using them.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
If I were to guess as to why the crazy maintenance schedule, I would assume it’s because of the, “tight tolerances,” and the fact that Dodge chose to have a “special” formulated oil dug up and put into production. It also might have to do with the fact that Dodge expects everyone to drive these cars like they do in the commercials. You know, slamming gears, pedal to the floor around every single corner, and every trip being WOT from start to finish.
I wouldn't be surprised if Dodge is more concerned with those who drive five miles to work, sedately. Then maybe to a car show eight miles away on weekends.
Plus, a cold start every now and then to rev it up for friends to hear when they come and visit.

And they must have nightmares about those who start the car and let it idle for a while once every two weeks during winter storage, "to warm it up and let it charge".

Those are probably the real reasons we're all supposed to change the oil every six months, miles be damned.

OP
W

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #34
We are away on a 4 day trip right now, heading home as i type this, will have put on at least 1500 miles in 4 days when we get back. Wife hates city driving, so I did the first 90 minutes of the drive, once clear of Reno, and hit the open hwy did a lot of 100 mph travel, just to put a few miles behind us. She drives 5 over is all, but we are headed in the right direction 🙂
Relatively speaking, oil is cheap. The car has mobil 1 in it currently, 5W30, and just checked it again at the gas station an hour ago. I couldn't imagine running any oil for a year and 35,000 miles, and not checking it. Probably 3 quarts low at oil change time.

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Does anyone know if powertrain warranties were denied because the owner didn't keep records of 6 month oil changes?

I'm about to come up on 6 months on my car, for which I've probably put 1-1,500 miles on since the dealer changed the oil prior to my used car purchase.

Or even let's say I have a powertrain problem in the future...will the first question be, "please provide evidence of every oil change since the car was new?" Well that's impossible since I bought the car used anyway.

Or would it be more like, the oil looked like sludge and then they'd ask? I'm honestly going to have a mental block having to change oil at that quick of a mileage interval.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Does anyone know if powertrain warranties were denied because the owner didn't keep records of 6 month oil changes?

I'm about to come up on 6 months on my car, for which I've probably put 1-1,500 miles on since the dealer changed the oil prior to my used car purchase.

Or even let's say I have a powertrain problem in the future...will the first question be, "please provide evidence of every oil change since the car was new?" Well that's impossible since I bought the car used anyway.

Or would it be more like, the oil looked like sludge and then they'd ask? I'm honestly going to have a mental block having to change oil at that quick of a mileage interval.
There's been a lot of talk on this subject on the old forum, but I don't remember ever reading that anyone got in trouble for exceeding the time limit. I'd be more concerned with what the dealer poured into your engine, as they apparently don't always get it right.

In my case. my dealer would back me up no matter what, so I'm not worried about it.

OP
W

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #37
Starting from now, and going forward, keep your receipts for the filter and oil. Could even snap a photo of the hood up and oil and filter sitting there under the hood, your cell phone will date the photo.

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
We are away on a 4 day trip right now, heading home as i type this, will have put on at least 1500 miles in 4 days when we get back. Wife hates city driving, so I did the first 90 minutes of the drive, once clear of Reno, and hit the open hwy did a lot of 100 mph travel, just to put a few miles behind us. She drives 5 over is all, but we are headed in the right direction 🙂
Relatively speaking, oil is cheap. The car has mobil 1 in it currently, 5W30, and just checked it again at the gas station an hour ago. I couldn't imagine running any oil for a year and 35,000 miles, and not checking it. Probably 3 quarts low at oil change time.
You're lucky, I can't get my wife to slow down. :)

OP
W

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #39
Doing 70 in a 65 right now on cruise control lol

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Doing 70 in a 65 right now on cruise control lol
good......she's saving gas I'll need tomorrow when I'm enjoying the sweet sound of Flowmasters as I push the pedal. :p