Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hypocritical Car Care People

OP
W

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #41
good......she's saving gas I'll need tomorrow when I'm enjoying the sweet sound of Flowmasters as I push the pedal. :p
She averages way better mpg in my car than i do.

On the hwy this trip i get 15, wife 27.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
my mpg has gone down ever since I had my exhaust redone :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
She averages way better mpg in my car than i do.

On the hwy this trip i get 15, wife 27.
My girlfriend always beats my mileage. Not because she drives slowly, but I drive even faster.

I'm guessing that she keeps it under a 100, and know that she passes much less aggressively than I do, so when I get 22 mpg on a good tank in my 'Cat, her log book has multiple 24+ entries...and that's a Redeye.

My Trackhawk generally got 15-16 mpg, and when I got in hers one day the EVIC showed 19.9 mpg(!)

Oh well, at least I get there sooner. which it sounds like you do, too, Whatknot.

OP
W

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #46
My girlfriend always beats my mileage. Not because she drives slowly, but I drive even faster.

I'm guessing that she keeps it under a 100, and know that she passes much less aggressively than I do, so when I get 22 mpg on a good tank in my 'Cat, her log book has multiple 24+ entries...and that's a Redeye.

My Trackhawk generally got 15-16 mpg, and when I got in hers one day the EVIC showed 19.9 mpg(!)

Oh well, at least I get there sooner. which it sounds like you do, too, Whatknot.
Wife cruises at 5 over the posted speed, if she catches slow traffic will follow them to a passing lane even if its 10 minutes doing 45 mph in a 65 zone like earlier when behind a 5th wheel travel trailer, and shifts no later than 3000 rpm in my mustang. I spent most of my time when i drove part of the way down, and back, doing 30 to 50 over, would have passed that travel trailer right away since there was no oncoming traffic as we caught it, and I More regularly shift arou 3500 to 4500 which seems to be right in the meat of this engine in normal driving, 6000 is if I want to dispatch of someone in a hurry.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Wife cruises at 5 over the posted speed, if she catches slow traffic will follow them to a passing lane even if its 10 minutes doing 45 mph in a 65 zone like earlier when behind a 5th wheel travel trailer...
That would make for a very quiet trip if I were the passenger. Well, after having expressed what I think should've been done (i.e. PASS, DAMN IT!!!)

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
While my wife hasn't driven any of my "faster" cars, since she can't drive a manual or would I ever try to teach her. She has driven my Rams. She consistently gets about 3MPG worse than I do during highway cruising. While my MPH may be a lot faster, she's not as smooth on the throttle or brake application like I am.

In the last 3 years, we did 2 round trips from NY to Miami, and I definitely noticed the change in MPG after she drove a leg. Probably doesn't help when you're braking 60 car lengths in advance :-/

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
That would make for a very quiet trip if I were the passenger. Well, after having expressed what I think should've been done (i.e. PASS, DAMN IT!!!)
Yeah......says the guy who drives a tunnel washer :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
W

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #50
I mentioned just once, calmly to her, drop it down to 3rd gear, and just pass him, nobody is coming towards us and you can see a mile. She said no, a passing lane will come along eventually. And i just sat and texted people, and read the forum. No point in getting upset about it.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
While my MPH may be a lot faster, she's not as smooth on the throttle or brake application like I am.
That is key. People waste a lot of fuel (and brake pads) with their driving style. I may not ever use cruise control, but might just be able to beat people that do.

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
That is key. People waste a lot of fuel (and brake pads) with their driving style. I may not ever use cruise control, but might just be able to beat people that do.
100% agree. Race driving schools should be mandatory curriculum for a license.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
1627613125353.png

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Over the 20 years the 4runner has seen a max of probably 12,000 miles on an oil change. No I would not go 35,000.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Most people just drive their cars, do normal maintenance, don't overly baby it, nor drive it like its stolen, and they just go about their lives. I would like to think that I take better care of my cars than the average motorist, but am not anal about it either.

But what strikes me as really odd is those select few who insist on telling others how to take care of their cars, and brag about how exceptionally great they treat their own cars. Those people in my opinion are often the most abusive people around. We've probably all met them, they do dumb stuff like use an oil that they think is okay to change just once a year, I would never leave the contaminated oil in my cars a year, I don't give a shit what additives the oil has in it. My cars are garaged when home, i park in the corner of a busy parking lot, I use a steering wheel club to act as a visual theft deterrent, very gentle on the throttle for the first 5 minutes as everything warms up such as engine, transmission, and diff, run premium gas even in the wifes suv and my Honda.
I don't drive through those car washes with brushes, wax my cars twice a year, check tire pressure monthly, look under the hood for anything wrong and check fluid levels every time I fill the fuel tank, check all lights monthly or more. Yet some people who take 10% as good of care of their cars, claim they are so careful with theirs, and I abuse mine. Told a guy to fuck off this morning when he tried telling me about how to care for my car, especially when i looked at his and it was covered in door dings, and he told me that he runs amsoil so it only needs to be changed once a year. I find that those braggers are usually the very worst car care offenders.

Tell me your hypocrite horror stories.
Amsoil, that's all you needed to say.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I have a start-up/warm up routine that's pretty simple. I get in & start the car, arrange all my crap (keys, wallet, phone, water or coffee (if I have it), fire up the a/c (or roll down the window) and back out of the garage. I wait in the drive for the garage door to fully close (I have seen them reverse because something crossed the beam) & fire up the Performance Pages on the Cat. Go pretty slow to the end of the street (only 4 houses) and out to the next street (another 6 houses). I go the limit (40 mph or so) to the main road. By then the cars are almost up to normal operating temp. I will ramp up to 60 on the main road, but refrain from putting the spurs to them till they are at full temp (204 on the Cat).
I start the car, gently apply brake, shift into reverse w white glove on, then go WOTbacking out of the garage.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Wife cruises at 5 over the posted speed, if she catches slow traffic will follow them to a passing lane even if its 10 minutes doing 45 mph in a 65 zone like earlier when behind a 5th wheel travel trailer, and shifts no later than 3000 rpm in my mustang. I spent most of my time when i drove part of the way down, and back, doing 30 to 50 over, would have passed that travel trailer right away since there was no oncoming traffic as we caught it, and I More regularly shift arou 3500 to 4500 which seems to be right in the meat of this engine in normal driving, 6000 is if I want to dispatch of someone in a hurry.
You regularly drive 30 to 50 over? On the highway, right? If you're doing that around town, please let me know when you'll be out this way, I would like to watch :)

B5Cat16

Member ID
Reactions
City
S
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Most people just drive their cars, do normal maintenance, don't overly baby it, nor drive it like its stolen, and they just go about their lives. I would like to think that I take better care of my cars than the average motorist, but am not anal about it either.

But what strikes me as really odd is those select few who insist on telling others how to take care of their cars, and brag about how exceptionally great they treat their own cars. Those people in my opinion are often the most abusive people around. We've probably all met them, they do dumb stuff like use an oil that they think is okay to change just once a year, I would never leave the contaminated oil in my cars a year, I don't give a shit what additives the oil has in it. My cars are garaged when home, i park in the corner of a busy parking lot, I use a steering wheel club to act as a visual theft deterrent, very gentle on the throttle for the first 5 minutes as everything warms up such as engine, transmission, and diff, run premium gas even in the wifes suv and my Honda.
I don't drive through those car washes with brushes, wax my cars twice a year, check tire pressure monthly, look under the hood for anything wrong and check fluid levels every time I fill the fuel tank, check all lights monthly or more. Yet some people who take 10% as good of care of their cars, claim they are so careful with theirs, and I abuse mine. Told a guy to fuck off this morning when he tried telling me about how to care for my car, especially when i looked at his and it was covered in door dings, and he told me that he runs amsoil so it only needs to be changed once a year. I find that those braggers are usually the very worst car care offenders.

Tell me your hypocrite horror stories.
Not sure what they call in other parts of the country but here in CT, it's called jealousy. My fleet is constantly criticized. From "Ughhh, I thought you were a Mopar guy, why do you have this Firebird" to "you know you have a scratch in the rear windshield of your Super Bee". WhatKnot - let it go in one ear and out the other. Who cares what people think or say? Watch the movie A Bronx Tale. "Nobody Cares"

Attachments

OP
W

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #59
You regularly drive 30 to 50 over? On the highway, right? If you're doing that around town, please let me know when you'll be out this way, I would like to watch :)

Light traffic only highways. Once in a city i do maybe 3 over the speed limit, and on a busy hwy just go with the flow of traffic. Our recent trip to Reno and back, the highways had little traffic, which meant that it was nothing to drive 100 ish plus. On the way down while I was driving we came up behind a string of 7 semis all playing follow the leader, running 65 in a 70 zone. While waiting for a good spot to pass, because I didn't want to be the guy passing 1 at a time, but hoped to just pass in a good area, overtaking them all, a Supra and a vette caught up to me. The guy in the Supra was obviously in a huge rush, and was about 10' off my rear bumper. So when we came to a long straight passing stretch I knew he was going to jump on it and try to pass me to, he already had his left side tires on the center line. So I let him go, then I went, and the vette. I hit about 125 or so passing, then slowed to 105 and the vette stayed behind me at a comfortable following distance. Never saw the Supra again for about 20 minutes, where the cops had him pulled over lol. I drive quick on open hwys with little traffic, but also drive safely and not recklessly. The exception to my rule is sometimes on my R1. I have no idea what that bike does to my mind, but I start off with the best of intentions, just a spirited ride, but not aggressive or really fast...then about 10 miles into the ride something happens to my brain, and its like alrighty now, i feel the need, the need for speed...and its on. Spooky passing a tractor doing 10 mph while doing 195 on my bike.

Last edited:
OP
W

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #60
Not sure what they call in other parts of the country but here in CT, it's called jealousy. My fleet is constantly criticized. From "Ughhh, I thought you were a Mopar guy, why do you have this Firebird" to "you know you have a scratch in the rear windshield of your Super Bee". WhatKnot - let it go in one ear and out the other. Who cares what people think or say? Watch the movie A Bronx Tale. "Nobody Cares"

I was trying to. The wife said I'll be ready in 3 minutes. So I told her to just come down to the car when ready to go. I grabbed a few tissues to keep my hands cleaner, and wipe the dipstick off with. Headed out to the hotel parking lot, walked to my car, popped the hood, and was having a look, when Genesis boy came over. He started on me right away for having the hood up checking fluids. Then asked what oil I used. I said Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30. He said well I never check my oil level, don't need to, use Amsoil. Change it once a year regardless how many miles you drive, and never need to check it all year long either. Then i shook my car a bit to see the coolant level, looked at the brake fluid and clutch fluid levels, checked the washer fluid, looked for anything loose or wrong, and was about to shut the hood. When he really started on me about amsoil. I had enough by then and stood about 10 inches from him and not quietly, said right into his face FUCK OFF. He finally got the hint and walked off. Wife was just coming out of the hotel, heard my voice, and saw him walking away. She nows to not push me when I am mad, so just got in the car, and off we went. She also knows I don't stay mad long, so probably 10 minutes later, she said to me ' So is everything cool'. I said yup, just needed an idiot to leave me alone, and doing really good with my anger management I think. Old me wouldn't have said a word, just punched him out. New me told him to fuck off, not a punch thrown. She took my hand, leaned over and kissed my cheek, and said good job babe. I've come a long way in my lifetime to how fast I want fight, and also how much idiocy I will put up with. The old me, that would have had a different outcome. I'm actually really proud of myself for listening to 2 minutes of idiot boy yap about Amsoil, and putting me and my car down, without stomping him into the parking lot. I was raised that violence is the answer to everything, and nearly killed by my own father numerous times as a kid. Had a gun shoved in my face probably 100 times by age 10, and my dad actually shot at me a few times, putting 1 in my leg when i was 7. I grew up fighting partly as a survival thing, and fought a lot. My temper is about 0.1% of what it was as a teenager. It isn't always easy, but I have worked hard to get myself under control, and right or wrong, am proud. But a stranger in a hotel parking lot telling me how I need to maintain my own car, that was a good test of my anger management...and I passed with flying colors...he walked away with nothing broken. Maybe too much amsoil koolaid went to his brain, and turned it to mush.