Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Ice Box

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Anyone have any pictures of how they ran their lines for an ice box in the trunk. I have the PNR one that sits where the sub goes. I see a few possible ways. I'm about to just drill instead of trying to figure out every possible way I could drill.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I had that box way back and I recall knocking out the drain plug near the battery and routing the lines thru there without drilling anything. I don’t have pics of that anymore. Can’t keep everything

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #3
I had that box way back and I recall knocking out the drain plug near the battery and routing the lines thru there without drilling anything. I don’t have pics of that anymore. Can’t keep everything
well see that was what I’d like to do. But then I have to go over the exhaust. Is a heat shield or wrapping the lines good enough for going over the exhaust?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Lol. I forgot. I got rid of my exhaust. Duh. I got nothing 🤣

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Maybe I do got something 🤔. I changed to the side mount box when we put the fuel cell in the car. I ran the lines thru holes drilled in the wheel well. I do have some pics. FBB4D8B7-53EA-4DDE-A688-10189C3277F5.jpeg E5E283A6-6870-4189-ACF9-9B016369BE58.jpeg 10180D14-24FC-415F-B6A5-9DC9B3F60FEC.jpeg

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
This is what I’m doing now…. We’re running huge 1” lines to that DragPak intercooler so had to figure out where they could go. With fuel lines running under the left side and brake lines down the right… we went up the middle. 169A5EE2-5036-4169-9F05-B305800B5CF1.jpeg F4F6F614-DBB9-4F37-8802-2F7B741CC21A.jpeg 0FE3E6F8-2463-41A0-BD3D-C4B0C43122BC.jpeg

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I ran my through the back seat delete and then under passenger seat through the floor foot kick panel up behind the right front wheel wwhell

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Have you considered just running the tank up front? It would save you quite a bit of weight and is a much easier install/removal. This is the one I run and I get very reasonable IAT's and IC temps in the heat of summer. No cutting of the car required either. Since you are going to be adding ice every pass anyway this was the obvious choice for us.
https://shop.ostdyno.com/shop/shop/...hellcat-demon-trackhawk/bmr-hellcat-ice-tank/

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Have you considered just running the tank up front? It would save you quite a bit of weight and is a much easier install/removal. This is the one I run and I get very reasonable IAT's and IC temps in the heat of summer. No cutting of the car required either. Since you are going to be adding ice every pass anyway this was the obvious choice for us.
https://shop.ostdyno.com/shop/shop/...hellcat-demon-trackhawk/bmr-hellcat-ice-tank/
I know some who use those as a reservoir for a chiller and would certainly also work as a icebox. My only concern would be extended staging/delays that could impact how long the ice would last. They work great as a chiller reservoir. The other thing to check is are they going to work with a aftermarket SC like the new Whipple.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #10
I thought about going under the hood. But to me I would rather give up some of the trunk space then fill the engine bay anymore. I was also worried about heat and as this is added weight at least it is weight in the back of the car.
Your tank would be an easier install especially if that link is your modified one.

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
I know some who use those as a reservoir for a chiller and would certainly also work as a icebox. My only concern would be extended staging/delays that could impact how long the ice would last. They work great as a chiller reservoir. The other thing to check is are they going to work with a aftermarket SC like the new Whipple.
I didn't realize he was running a new Whipple. Staging for normal times is not an issue assuming the engine was cooled before entering the staging lanes. Sitting for 20 minutes with a cooled engine and the hood open (both fairly common for everyone in the staging lanes) did not really impact coolant temp significantly. On the flip side, when we iced it up with a completely cooled engine and drove straight to the line on at least one occasion my IC temp showed 37 degrees f. :)

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I was looking at that setup. Is there an issue with the drain? No access, wrong position or something?

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I ran that tank before with my chiller , thing that got me was I had to keep the car running longer to chill it and burned quite a bit more fuel , yes you can put ice in it but it’s very prone to induce air into the system if you drain it too much , I would suggest Sumit’s chiller and keep it all looking factory,I finally went to the ice tank in the trunk and absolutely love it

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
EXPLAINED! 2015+ PNR Supercharger Ice Tank In The Trunk- What You Need To Know!

Maybe this will help you @jonx96

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
I was looking at that setup. Is there an issue with the drain? No access, wrong position or something?
No issue. We have a line that's long enough to pull over the front of the car to use to drain into a container with a petcock on it. We loop it back up when done and tuck it neatly in the engine bay.

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
I ran that tank before with my chiller , thing that got me was I had to keep the car running longer to chill it and burned quite a bit more fuel.
We have the pump turned on higher at idle in our tune so it chills instantly. No need to keep the car running more than 30 seconds or for the drive to the staging lanes.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I attempted to run the under hood BMR ice tank on my last hellcat. It was more of a headache than it was worth. just my 2 cents. My Gearheads trunk mounted tank worked great this past season. that said. I have removed it and am switching to the IC chiller plug and play kit this winter.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
We have the pump turned on higher at idle in our tune so it chills instantly. No need to keep the car running more than 30 seconds or for the drive to the staging lanes.
Mike I know you’re an expert with these hellcats why is it when I disable the intercooler pump in the tune it does not turn it completely off is that normal or do I possibly have a short

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Mike I know you’re an expert with these hellcats why is it when I disable the intercooler pump in the tune it does not turn it completely off is that normal or do I possibly have a short
First off don't assume I am an expert at anything other than wasting time :)
I have never disabled a pump so I do not know the answer to that. I assume you set the min ECT enable temp to 376, Disable RPM to 0 and all the appropriate tables to 0 rpm? That's where I would start if I was attempting to disble the pump.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
First off don't assume I am an expert at anything other than wasting time :)
I have never disabled a pump so I do not know the answer to that. I assume you set the min ECT enable temp to 376, Disable RPM to 0 and all the appropriate tables to 0 rpm? That's where I would start if I was attempting to disble the pump.
In the tune it has an enable or disable tab just curious , I’ll try the other things you mentioned as well thanks 🙏