Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

I'm a Wrapper, yo (PPF). Need input, might be painful for some.

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
Time for PPF as driving season is about to hit here in the Northeast. Was fortunate I got my car home from the dealer without paint damage in January, 50 mile drive. Heavy rains washed the salt, chemicals, and pea gravel from our roads. Garaged since then. ZL1 guards ordered.

For PPF I've usually done full front facia, partial hood, rockers, mirrors, behind rear wheels. Will definitely do the widebody flares.

Here's the "painful" sharing I'm requesting...any of y'all taken paint damage from road crap hits in other areas? I don't want to wrap the whole car and understand random hits happen. Looking to hear if I'm missing any other high risk areas.

I saw a vid of an Indigo with low miles that looked pretty ripped up. Don't recall if he had ZL1's or other specifics. His car looked like a clear night sky full of stars with the dark blue and chips.

.Appreciate any sharing, thanks in advance! I love this car and it is my retirement gift to myself (although I'm not quite retired yet, soon).

OP
Hayabusa

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
Thread Starter #2
Going with Xpel Ultimate Plus...front facia, full doors, rockers, mirrors, fender flares, lower parts of panels (fenders, behind rear wheels).
Looking forward to getting this work done so I can get out and enjoy the car!

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
I'm planning to get PPF on mine too. I had plans to get a local shop apply the film at the end of last year, but the super poor communications at the shop left me feeling they weren't very professional and I was iffy on going with them. After scheduling to have it done, I had to tell (or remind?) 3 different people at that shop that I have a '19 HC redeye wide body, and the third person called on the phone and asked me what car I had, I told him and he said "OK" then HUNG UP ON ME...so I decided to communicate with them further after that by calling them right back and cancelling the appointment all together.

I really want to get the front fascia done for sure, and perhaps the back of the mirrors. Those are the two areas that took the majority of the chips on my 2015 cat by a long shot.

I've heard a lot of people are getting the flares done also, but that's why I installed ZL1 rock guards on the front/rear....to protect the flares....and at least on mine, the front lower section on the rear flares already has a PPF film on them from the factory.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Man, you're getting so close to just doing the whole car, may as well do it. I wish I did...so many flying rocks and sand here. It's probably a better option than doing a ceramic coat - something I have done in the past.

Rcasa20

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Indian Shores
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye Widebody (sold)
If I had to do mine again I would have gone all PPF and skipped the ceramic coating. Don’t get me wrong, ceramic coating is nice but it doesn’t protect from chips, of which I have 4. 3 on the doors above the rockers, which have PPF.

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
I had a 4-5" bolt skid across the freeway right in front of me....smacked my front bumper midway and somehow flipped up and around and smacked my roof almost dead center. Left 3 nice battle scars...and that my friend is one of many. You should see what a possum did to my under carriage, almost as bad the partial ladder I had to straddle on the highway while doing 80. That shot debris all over my back quarter panel.

*Shrugs*

It's a car bro and that crap just adds a little more character. ;)

So, if you are worried about it, better do the whole car, and maybe double wrap it. :love:

I myself, go commando. o_O

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Definitely get the front wrapped (bumper, hood, mirrors) since it's high impact areas. ZL1 rock guards should be installed immediately, or anything else comparable to protect rocks from smacking into your paint.

FYI, I have a Charger, my spoiler actually has one rock chip on it. Kinda weird but anything can happen. I wouldn't go full PPF, it's a Dodge not an exotic. Just a waste of money.

Ceramic coating is great though, makes the TorRed pop like crazy in the sun even when I haven't washed it in weeks. Ceramic coating isn't going to help with preventing rock chips though.

OP
Hayabusa

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
Thread Starter #8
Thanks Guys!

I had a 4-5" bolt skid across the freeway right in front of me....smacked my front bumper midway and somehow flipped up and around and smacked my roof almost dead center. Left 3 nice battle scars...and that my friend is one of many. You should see what a possum did to my under carriage, almost as bad the partial ladder I had to straddle on the highway while doing 80. That shot debris all over my back quarter panel.

*Shrugs*

It's a car bro and that crap just adds a little more character. ;)

So, if you are worried about it, better do the whole car, and maybe double wrap it. :love:

I myself, go commando. o_O
Heminized...I went commando on my Ram (got a good laugh on your comment, thank you!). I'm putting panties on my Redeye!

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
a-pillar and perhaps the roof. My Jeep is full bumper, full fender, hood strip, a-pillar. My Charger is the same.

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
Going with Xpel Ultimate Plus...front facia, full doors, rockers, mirrors, fender flares, lower parts of panels (fenders, behind rear wheels).
Looking forward to getting this work done so I can get out and enjoy the car!
Hey what did they quote you at? $$$$?

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
Mine was 2500 for full front, mirrors, flares, behind rear wheels and under gas cap.. also the top lip of back bumper behind trunk.

DaveB

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Penhold
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I did full front fascia, front 10" of fenders, mirrors, full hood, a pillars, forward 10" of roof, and lower rockers including behind rear wheels. Being white you can't see all the PPF "lines". Dodge rock guards went on right away. No dings so far....

Thinking about peeling the hood and re-wrapping with matte black.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
You guys are where I was last year. Yes, get it protected.

The front bumper, lower front fascia and rear lower quarter etc. is a no brainer. My unprotected '15 was grossly damaged. After one year, this unit looks perfect!

The flairs will get nailed and it don't matter how good those front guards are. The front of the rear flairs are going to be roasted. We went right over the OE protection film FYI. Hell, if your anal you may want to get the film changed out in that area every year it is so bad.

The one thing I did and love it is windshield protection film. Since it would be stupid expensive to replace the windshield or just put up with marginal pits forever, that little thing is recommended.

http://www.braygroup.com/

OP
Hayabusa

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
Thread Starter #14
You guys are where I was last year. Yes, get it protected.

The front bumper, lower front fascia and rear lower quarter etc. is a no brainer. My unprotected '15 was grossly damaged. After one year, this unit looks perfect!

The flairs will get nailed and it don't matter how good those front guards are. The front of the rear flairs are going to be roasted. We went right over the OE protection film FYI. Hell, if your anal you may want to get the film changed out in that area every year it is so bad.

The one thing I did and love it is windshield protection film. Since it would be stupid expensive to replace the windshield or just put up with marginal pits forever, that little thing is recommended.

http://www.braygroup.com/
Thanks, D! Will take at look at the Bray.

By the way, I really like what you've done with your wheels. I dig the old school chrome look, especially on your color. If I didn't comment on your original post that I remember...I am not worthy!
(y)