Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Is It Worthwhile to Run a Staggered Set-up on a Daily Driver on the Street?

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
I have PS4S on the rear and Cup 2 on the front. I needed/wanted the front size that the PS4S don’t come in. It all works just fine, at least with that combo for me. The car is not a DD and in some strange emergency if I wanted to drive in the wet, I have the OEM wheels fitted with my Pirelli PZero’s.
Are both the PS4S and the Cup 2 inadvisable in wet weather? I thought they reasonable enough if you took it easy during a storm. I've got a ton of miles on Toyo R888's in the wet weather in my Viper. Everyone said they'd be a death trap in wet weather, but I always took it easy even during the worst of freak storm.

Was considering putting PS4S (305/35/20) in the rears and something else in the front. My Hellcat is a semi-DD, but will not be purposefully driven in bad weather. I plan to switch back to stock wheels and shitty A/S's for colder weather.

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
I have Nitto 555G2's up front (275/40/20) and Nitto NT05R's out back (315/35/20's) on staggered 9.5's and 10.5's. Handles and drives perfectly. When the NT05's are done I'll put the 555IIR's in the rear. As long as you have radial's to radial's (esp. if same manufacturer) and not mixing winter to summer or truck (extra plies) or something unusual it'll be fine.
Thanks, I'll have to look at 555IR's as well, I don't remember seeing them when looking; was looking at 305/35/20's for the rears and OEM size on the fronts. Was thinking is it a waste to put a good, sticky tire on the front? I'll do mostly spirited street driving...though I may try to AutoX it next year and take both the Hellcat and the Viper to compare.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Are both the PS4S and the Cup 2 inadvisable in wet weather? I thought they reasonable enough if you took it easy during a storm. I've got a ton of miles on Toyo R888's in the wet weather in my Viper. Everyone said they'd be a death trap in wet weather, but I always took it easy even during the worst of freak storm.

Was considering putting PS4S (305/35/20) in the rears and something else in the front. My Hellcat is a semi-DD, but will not be purposefully driven in bad weather. I plan to switch back to stock wheels and shitty A/S's for colder weather.
The PS4S is probably one of the best in the wet. The Cup 2 is about like a drag radial.

John G.

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
Yes. Gives it that bitchin' old school look.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thanks, I'll have to look at 555IR's as well, I don't remember seeing them when looking; was looking at 305/35/20's for the rears and OEM size on the fronts. Was thinking is it a waste to put a good, sticky tire on the front? I'll do mostly spirited street driving...though I may try to AutoX it next year and take both the Hellcat and the Viper to compare.
Probably is a waste. The raw torque is not going to the front. The 555G2's are an excellent value imho and handle real well on the street. Technically a sticky R would add roll resistance to the front and draw power, but that's just B.S. numbers. In the real world the G2's are excellent, wear way better, and have a great speed rating. Plus they're cheaper. If you're gonna Auto X then that's a call you're gonna' have to make.

rookerrobert

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ridgeland
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 hellcat A8 and 2016 M6
I run a staggered set-up on my scat pack but on my hellcat it's square set up......if I had it to do all over again I wouldnt go staggered set-up.You cant rotate...but looks good

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
20x11 with 305/35s on the rear, OEM 20x9.5 on front with 275/40 looks good though the 305 is a little small for the 11" rim so going 315 next time. Keeping the fronts. not my daily but even if it was, Id do it

DaveB

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Penhold
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I've been running the stock fronts with 305 555R2's on 10.5 replica rims out back all this summer. Rides and handles the same as the the stock tires, but the rear ones don't evaporate. My original stock rears lasted 6000 miles and that was with NO burnouts, NO racing, NO donuts... just spirited street driving by a mature fella who's had lots of race car experience in the past. My car came with the Summer PZeros, not the all-season FYI. I've since replaced the evaporated tires with the same tires. I will use them if I do a long trip. But for now, I live out in the country and I drive 25 miles of highway to town every time I go anywhere and the 555's handle great.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I with everyone else, yes it's a must.

Taxinator

Member ID
Reactions
City
SANTA CLARITA
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT
For those of you running staggered F&R wheels, are you running the same tire all around? (i.e. same exact tire model, but different size). Or have you put different on the fronts and rear? Not talking about drag only applications.
Yes, Michelin PS4 on all four corners...275 fronts and 315 rears.

B5Cat16

Member ID
Reactions
City
S
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Yes, of course it is. It was the first upgrade I did to my car. Factory rims and tires are safely and securely packed away in large plastic garbage bags. 275 in the front 315 in the rear. Worth every penny. You know why? Because it looks cool. ALWAYS do what you want. It's your car, not ours.