Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Just a burnout

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Thread Starter #41
So what kind of tires are you buying after that?
Those tires are still good to (this is second set of 555R DRs). The 305 M/T ET Street SSs have been here for a few weeks but haven't put them on until I'm ready to trash these 555Rs (and I've also been busy as hell). Want to do back to back tests with them the day they are swapped. And amazingly enough, that burnout did not destroy much of the tread, I think it just got down to the wear bars. And like I said, very little in the wells and none on the quarters. Kind of strange.

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye Octane Red
@Hunter,

I remember when this crash happened to you, sorry to say. What was the end results / findings. Was the old car totaled out? Did you get anything out of FCA related to the cause? What did insurance company say about it. Just curious.

I see you picked up a 2019 HC. Redeye?

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
@Hunter,

I remember when this crash happened to you, sorry to say. What was the end results / findings. Was the old car totaled out? Did you get anything out of FCA related to the cause? What did insurance company say about it. Just curious.

I see you picked up a 2019 HC. Redeye?
FCA stated nothing wrong with manufacture of car. Insurance totaled the car. They and GAP eventually paid (about 6 months). Insurance says throttle stuck, so insurance is actually cheaper.
Not a RedEye, just a 19 Hellcat. TorRed (similar to my 16),

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
FCA stated nothing wrong with manufacture of car. Insurance totaled the car. They and GAP eventually paid (about 6 months). Insurance says throttle stuck, so insurance is actually cheaper.
Not a RedEye, just a 19 Hellcat. TorRed (similar to my 16),
Wow... if nothing else FCA is consistent in their efforts to remain faultless. I was wondering how it all panned out for you.

Hey, at least you got back in to a cat and you came out of it without serious injuries. Thank God for that.

I know you miss the old ride but, it certainly could have been worse.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
What's up with that shadow? You being attacked by a triffid or something?
Thanks so good. I almost spit on myself. It looks interesting. It is my Harley. Drove it out there to take a peek at the damage I had been inflicting.

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thanks so good. I almost spit on myself. It looks interesting. It is my Harley. Drove it out there to take a peek at the damage I had been inflicting.
SNOT BUBBLES.... :LOL:

snot bubble.gif

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #47
Other interesting facts about this burnout:

As you may be able to tell from the layout of the road, this is an old taxiway for jet fighters (and then later supersonic and side-by-side trainers). The concrete varies between 1940s and 1950s mil-spec runway concrete; since it has been tarred and had aggregate scattered in many places. I played around on the concrete itself (you can see the 210' launch on the asphalt up above. And what I found was this: with 555Rs, the launch (defined as just rolling into it, not stabbing it like it owes me money) hooked immediately (unlike the local high-temp enviro TXDOT asphalt on the highway) but would allow the wheels to spin at the top end. Consistently repeatable. And intensely interesting to me. So, on the highway, from a dig, you have to launch cautiously (its all in launch) but as soon as you're WOT and rolling it stays hooked. On the 70 year old concrete, you can get pretty aggressive with the launch, far more so than on the highway, but you have to back pedal it up top or it will let go. Not sure which I like better.

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
My daughter didn t know how to crank a window up / down

SAD ACTUALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We could start an entire thread on uneducated ( did I spell that correctly ??? LOL ) & lazy
Maybe the worse part is getting the younger ones to take responsibility for their own shortcomings and failures. It's always someone else's fault.

When you're wrong, you're wrong. Own it and take the consequences. It all comes down to how they are raised. Right & Wrong.

Heck, look at these parents that were paying bribes and fixing tests to get their kids in to colleges. That's how to teach your kids right. Then denying it, saying not guilty when it's obvious you are. Geeshhhh...:(

Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
I have just decided to drill myself in an emergency engine shutdown in case of a surprise stuck throttle.
Automatic:
1. Hammer brakes to the floor
2. Hit ignition button firmly
3. avoid anything I'm heading towards if necessary.
4. Put'er in Neutral
5. After it calms down, drive cautiously with a huge following distance to car in front to the local Dodge dealer.

Manual:
1. Slam clutch pedal to the floor, don't try to figure out what's happening first.
2. Brake if necessary
3. See if engine calms down, if not, hit ignition button
4. Head straight to a Dodge dealer as said before.

Any ideas for improvements?

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
Should we all have a burnout contest now ? … see who can do the longest , maybe a waist of tires ? [dunno][grinking]
Think of it as letting Old Yeller, or old Black Sidewall out for one last hunt before he's replaced with a newer model. Too old to be any good to you, but you want it to go out in a blaze of glory.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
Considering the heat generated, would it not be a good idea to use a lower-than-normal tire pressure prior to doing smoke signals, so it's up to close to normal pressure near the end of the Jackson Pollock on Pavement session?

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #52
I have just decided to drill myself in an emergency engine shutdown in case of a surprise stuck throttle.
Automatic:
1. Hammer brakes to the floor
2. Hit ignition button firmly
3. avoid anything I'm heading towards if necessary.
4. Put'er in Neutral
5. After it calms down, drive cautiously with a huge following distance to car in front to the local Dodge dealer.

Manual:
1. Slam clutch pedal to the floor, don't try to figure out what's happening first.
2. Brake if necessary
3. See if engine calms down, if not, hit ignition button
4. Head straight to a Dodge dealer as said before.

Any ideas for improvements?
I think that's pretty good. My procedure is as as follows:

1. Set phone down
2. Grab steering wheel and yank side to side
3. Roll down window
4. Scream and wave arms out
5. Open door and make sure car still securely up on blocks

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #53
Considering the heat generated, would it not be a good idea to use a lower-than-normal tire pressure prior to doing smoke signals, so it's up to close to normal pressure near the end of the Jackson Pollock on Pavement session?
I've never noticed a dramatic increase in tire pressure from a burn out (even a big one like up above). I think the heat transfer from the rubber to the air is too slow. Thermodynamics and all that.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
BTW, gents, if you want to be exculpable for your artwork, throw on some 1" wheel spacers before you go out to Paint the Town Black.®™

It will put the wheel spacing at a non-stock track, so if Johnny Law wants to quit helping MS-13 members avoid ICE detention long enough to try to track down who did that burnout, he can not pin it on you, because, voila! your wheelbase is not the same as them thar marks.

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
I've never noticed a dramatic increase in tire pressure from a burn out (even a big one like up above). I think the heat transfer from the rubber to the air is too slow. Thermodynamics and all that.
Good to know.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
You don’t put the phone down, you turn the camera on in selfie mode so you can post it on Twitter when you’re done.
Also, you cannot shut the car off and then put it into neutral. These cars don’t just go into neutral with the engine off; there is a process to it.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
I fall far behind the burnout pros. First excuse, mine was done with drag radials in place, 80* temperature, initiated from a 30mph roll.= very good grip. burnout.jpg

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
You don’t put the phone down, you turn the camera on in selfie mode so you can post it on Twitter when you’re done.
Also, you cannot shut the car off and then put it into neutral. These cars don’t just go into neutral with the engine off; there is a process to it.
Okay, yes. So the main thing is brakes and ignition button, then, with an automatic.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I haven’t experienced it first hand in these cars (thank God)... but if the throttle is stuck - neutral is your friend. Slam it into neutral while slamming the brakes. The 2 seconds it’ll take to come to a halt isn’t going to hurt anything while it’s banging the limiter. Then shut it down.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
Is it fast and intuitive to put it in neutral in an automatic, also, or is there some elaborate rain dance you have to do to do that, too?