Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Keep an eye out for this upgrade to your 6.2, tuning w/o voiding warranty... WTF!

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
My Redeye does the same thing in both the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. However, my last two times I took it out was during private T&Ts where they had prepped the track real good. No hiccups at all on either day. The answer for me is in getting my car to hook and go even without super prep.

GBLWRMR

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
South
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Super Stock
That would drive me insane. Literally. I now understand your passion around the "hiccup".

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I have noticed great improvement in my car's shifting in the last year, running better wheels and tires on both the street and track has made a huge difference for me. My street set up(rears) now is Hellcat reps with 305/35 Michelin PS4s and for the track I've been using 18" Bravados with 305/45 Mickey Thompson ET Street R's. I also almost always leave the car in D while in sport/track modes. I mean it's worlds better than it was, I'm actually really happy with how the car shifts now, and I think I had the hiccup as bad as anyone when I first got my car and was figuring it out...

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
I feel like the rev limiter in the Redeye is Really 6400.. if you get to 6500 it over revs.. whenever I shift manually at the top I just try to shift between 6100-6400.. I pretty much only ever shift the car manually even driving down the highway I like leaving it in a gear manually so I don’t get some unwanted triple downshift or something I wouldn’t expect

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
I feel like the rev limiter in the Redeye is Really 6400.. if you get to 6500 it over revs.. whenever I shift manually at the top I just try to shift between 6100-6400.. I pretty much only ever shift the car manually even driving down the highway I like leaving it in a gear manually so I don’t get some unwanted triple downshift or something I wouldn’t expect
Thats exactly how I drive. Total control of the shifts.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I think you are pretty close. I see several mid 6300's on my logs from lapping the Redeye. I leave it in automatic.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thats exactly how I drive. Total control of the shifts.
I feel like other than the standard/default mode(which I almost never drive in) the shift programming in D for both sport and track mode is fantastic and I can get my car to shift just by slightly playing with the gas peddle if I want. I think that's overkill using the paddles all the time. But...it's your car, drive it how you want! ;)

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
I feel like other than the standard/default mode(which I almost never drive in) the shift programming in D for both sport and track mode is fantastic and I can get my car to shift just by slightly playing with the gas peddle if I want. I think that's overkill using the paddles all the time. But...it's your car, drive it how you want! ;)
No one said paddles. Anyone driving around using the paddles has no understanding of M mode. Paddles are for straight line hard pulls. Also using D is fine and all but what's overkill is when you go to pass someone and the trans kicks down two gears and youre suddenly the asshole making all kinds of noise for nothing. In M there's no need to mess with the pedal. You're always in the power. Just pass the old lady in the Subaru with no fuss. Nice and easy with no "I need attention" downshifts.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
My passing SOP is more like this:

ease down on the throttle, car down shifts 2 gears, roars to life, and I go by the old lady sideways with smoke pouring from the back tires LOL

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
No one said paddles. Anyone driving around using the paddles has no understanding of M mode. Paddles are for straight line hard pulls. Also using D is fine and all but what's overkill is when you go to pass someone and the trans kicks down two gears and youre suddenly the asshole making all kinds of noise for nothing. In M there's no need to mess with the pedal. You're always in the power. Just pass the old lady in the Subaru with no fuss. Nice and easy with no "I need attention" downshifts.
I just keep it in 5th and 6th gear basically around town.. I almost never go to 4th or under in the Redeye unless I’m doing a pull.. I’d rather put my foot in it at 5th or 6th at 40-50mph it still puts down like 500-600 TQ and 350-400hp.. which even in like 5th gear takes you from 50-100 in like 4 seconds

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle

ease down on the throttle, car down shifts 2 gears, roars to life, and I go by the old lady sideways with smoke pouring from the back tires LOL
Lol I know your kidding Speedy.. personally sometimes I drive a bit fast but I never do it around traffic especially on the highways people wouldn’t even see you coming.. the hellcats are so fast someone would barely blink and you’d be blowing by them.. I just go by people like in 6th 7th or 8th gear... sometimes I thinks it’s funny with the .309 in the challenger just pushing 8th gear a bit when your doing like 70 and up.. even in 8th gear at that speed you can pass people easily and still toy with them.. I’ve toyed with a scat pack before just leaving the car in 8th gear M mode

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle

If someone does something really stupid like blocks the left lane for 5 minutes with someone next to them. Then I might consider blasting a shift off as I go by..

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Mine is a bit sluggish, you guys sound like you have enough, I need the upgrades.[twothumb]

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Make no mistake, I am that asshole LOL

Seriously though, I don't think I understand what you mean then if you are always in M mode and not using the paddles, I mean how are you shifting, bumping the console shifter then? Paddles for straight line pulls? I don't think my car is as fast in any shifting mode as it is when it is in D.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Make no mistake, I am that asshole LOL

Seriously though, I don't think I understand what you mean then if you are always in M mode and not using the paddles, I mean how are you shifting, bumping the console shifter then? Paddles for straight line pulls? I don't think my car is as fast in any shifting mode as it is when it is in D.
Lol youre misunderstanding my whole post. I wasnt talking fastest or racing. Was just talking daily driving and plain fun. The shifter in M mode is a bunch of fun while allowing more control of the sudden downshift when you dont really need it. Like when passing granny in a Subaru, not racing. Also lets you keep it up in the power more if youre so inclined by not shifting as soon.
Try and drive around using the paddles, I dare ya lol. You’ll tie your arms up like pretzels pretty quickly. Those are for straight line pulls and tbh like you said D is fastest anyway. To me the paddles are just a gimmick.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Try and drive around using the paddles, I dare ya lol. You’ll tie your arms up like pretzels pretty quickly. Those are for straight line pulls and tbh like you said D is fastest anyway. To me the paddles are just a gimmick.[/QUOTE]
I keep it in drive most of the time. When needing to speed up, I am real careful just to depress it enough to get one gear down, then if necessary my right foot can reach further as necessary.[loveboost]

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
^^^
Was waiting for that lol. Last thing im doing is feathering the pedal when granny is doing 15 under the speed limit lol. Im irritated and want to nail it but yet still dont want to be that guy making a scene and looking like another idiot in a muscle car showing off. Sometimes I want to get by someone quickly but dont want a downshift. In order to get by someone quickly in D youre getting a downshift or two, otherwise youre easing on by. I also like the control at the other end, higher in the rpms. Hard to explain I guess.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Man, I didn't realize driving an automatic Hellcat could be such a process LOL.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Man, I didn't realize driving an automatic Hellcat could be such a process LOL.
Lol it’s not. But explaining it seems to be. There are more ways to enjoy the A8 than just throwing it in D was the point I guess.

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
M6 solves every bit of this shifting/passing silliness...

:cool: