Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Major issue with Ram Truck!!!

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
Dammmmmmmn that’s messed up

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
that's the upper ball joint bolt/nut. I don't see why you would loosen that for alignment. I am betting it wasn't tight from the factory, and just worked its way off
Exactly....there's no nut now whether it was there in the first place is hard to tell. I nearly bought a RAM myself, but heard a lot of issues with the 12" tablet-sized screens going out, third brake light gaskets failing allowing water in the cab among other things like electrical and transmission issues. RAM needs to get it's act together quick.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Sadly, there seems to be far fewer issues with the ones made in Mexico.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
Either the nut was never installed, or it was removed on purpose. perhaps to steal the wheel. The ball joint nut is a squash nut, (self locking) nut. it wont fall off on its own even if loose. That could have been deadly. God was riding with them on that trip.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
This reinforces the enjoyment and satisfaction I get by working on my own vehicle and touching nearly each nut in my suspension system prior to every track day.

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
I smell a lawsuit

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
Who would attempt taking apart a ball joint to steal a wheel? Also I don't believe these ball joint nuts are locking (nylon or otherwise) pretty sure once it is lose, you can spin it off with your fingers
It's common practice to steal the whole knuckle. But that is just one possibility. and your wrong about the nut, It is a self locking design made to not need a cotter pin like the older cars had. When installed it is impossible for it to spin off if it is not torqued down as required. for this very reason. So it either was not on there from assembly, or someone removed it period. I'm leaning towards someone removed it. And it was not done to do an alignment ! Unless it was a total dumb ass that did the alignment. I will add that ALL suspension and steering components are held on with self locking nuts or as in older models castle nuts with cotter pins. I would also check the other side of this truck to see if it has been tampered with. They were on vacation, possible vandalism at Hotel/Motel parking lot? I am a certified Master Mechanic of 40+ years and know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
I mean, I get what you are saying about not having a castle nut and pin, however I am telling you, once it is free from the spindle, even a little, you can turn them off with your hands. And if you can do that, then they can vibrate free. I am taking cars, even newer Challengers apart all the time, and while yes when torqued down those nuts hold, if they are free, they can come off
If you enlarge the photo of the truck spindle. And look at the lower ball joint you can clearly see that it has a lock nut style nut on it. If what you say is true, Then the nut is defective. Because that is why they went from cotter pins to lock nuts. So that failure to put the pins in wouldn't cause a failure.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
so you're telling me, when you break the ball joint lose, you have to ratchet it the entire way off? At no point can't you freely turn it by hand during the removal or the installation process?

I have never seen one that acted that way
That is the way it is supposed to work. If they have been removed and installed multiple times in it's life. Then they may be worn to the point they no longer hold. and should be replaced. As new and installed, it should have to be racheted off all the way. What you describe may be another example of good Chinese manufacturing ( loose tolerance)

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger
I suspect they will be examining the surface where missing nut contacts pretty closely. In the picture it doesn't look like there is any evidence of contact but the picture may not show it clearly.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Sadly, there seems to be far fewer issues with the ones made in Mexico.
I'd normally be skeptical of these kinds of stories...but my DD is a 2021 Ram 1500 limited...@ the time it was 6 wks old...I left work in the middle of the day with one of my employees...as we pull out he spots something in the parking lot...a piece of cast steel...bout 18" long by 5" wide...had no idea what it was..much less where it came from...almost told him to toss it..but took it inside and gave it to the secretary...after we came back...the secretary said...its the tow hook from the front of yer truck...I asked how would you know that?..she said I googled the part number on the piece...sure enough..I go look at the front of the truck..one eyelet was there...the other was gone...now this thing is big..and heavy...never heard it rattle or fall out...damn that internet...a secretary that doesn't know a spark plug from a drain plug figured it out..

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Quality goes in before the name goes on

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Quality goes in before the name goes on
At least they put part numbers on shit that falls off...it's actually a weird configured part..would have never have known what it was...

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
I trailer my new (or new to me) vehicles home. Partially because correct break-in would be hard to do when the dealer is 450 miles away, but I'd do it even if the dealer was only 20 miles from home.

Why? Because by taking the vehicle off the trailer and then putting it on the lift I can check all fluid levels, look for loose or missing fasteners, etc. before driving it. Plus, it allows me to learn what's down there on a particular vehicle.

So far I've only found low fluid levels (and some missing interior pieces on 1500s), but that doesn't stop me from checking each one anyway. Don't have a lift? Creepers and ramps (if needed) are cheap.
And yes, it is a bit of an inconvenience. Although nowhere near as inconvenient as having failures somewhere down the road, especially when they could've easily been caught with a simple inspection.

I'm not that paranoid, but do have a good look under the hood of all new vehicles before i leave the dealership. And when I get it home, be it 20 miles, or 900 miles, i put it in the garage and go over everything really well.
On new motorbikes i also pull apart the steering head, swingarm pivot, suspension linkage, and grease them well, as they usually have about 5% of the grease needed.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
They are a self locking nut, and my big hands cannot spin them loose...need a wrench myself.

They are not supposed to be reused, one time, then replaced.

I can't say for sure, but if I was placing a bet on it, someone tried to steal it. Parts are expensive, and thieves will steal anything and everything.

A friend went out to go to work a few years ago, his pickup was in the driveway, minus the box, tailgate, rear bumper, rear wheels, brakes, diff, driveshaft, gas tank, and a few more things. Rear frame rails on the ground, he told methat he stared at the remaining truck for several minutes in disbelief, before even calling 911. Cops showed up hours later, and told him that major parts are stolen off vehicles regularly, even off cop cars while parked. I was shopping one time, came out to find the gas tank, seat, rear fender and lights, bars, and headlight missing from my DR650, parked in a busy parklot, mid day.
Parked my truck one day at the veterinarian parking lot for less than 5 minutes, came out and the tailgate was gone.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
That stuff is nuts. Never had anything stolen from a car other than a jaguar figurehead, and technically that was not still "mine" at the time

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Confirming that on current gen Mopar, the spindle nuts are self locking.

Also that they are technically "one use only" nuts, I will deny reusing them.

:eek:

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Either the nut was never installed, or it was removed on purpose. perhaps to steal the wheel. The ball joint nut is a squash nut, (self locking) nut. it wont fall off on its own even if loose. That could have been deadly. God was riding with them on that trip.
I mean, I get what you are saying about not having a castle nut and pin, however I am telling you, once it is free from the spindle, even a little, you can turn them off with your hands. And if you can do that, then they can vibrate free. I am taking cars, even newer Challengers apart all the time, and while yes when torqued down those nuts hold, if they are free, they can come off
This is the upper control arm of my 2020 1500. Definitely a nylon lock nut. Like has already been said, it was removed, or was never installed. It won't just vibrate off. I suppose it's possible the nut was defective and didn't have the nylon insert, but in that case it would have taken a lot longer (if at all) for it to work it's way off. Everything on those assembly lines are idiot-proofed as much as possible. The station won't release the truck until all torque values are met (both the number of fasteners and the final torque value). So it's highly unlikely it wasn't installed (although nothing is impossible). Either way, that sucks balls when your brand new vehicle fails in a major way so soon.
20210707_121103.jpg