Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

My Hellcat Charger Ran an 8.818 !

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Story mode time!

I thought I was done for the year but I just had this itch to try and validate some TCM tweaks I've been working on. There's only so much "testing" you can do on the street before it's time you know? I just couldn't wait until next year to answer my own questions.

So we packed everything up and headed out to one of the last few private rentals left to try and make a couple clean passes. Honestly, that was all I hoped to do. I went knowing the prep wouldn't be amazing, but it did turn out to be decent enough for me to work with.

It was a struggle but we worked our way through it and made several decent passes along with several botched ones.

The struggles started with me and my friends trying to break into my own truck. I somehow managed to lock both my keys and my wife's keys in it... how does that even happen?

Luckily, no track time was lost as our private rental was delayed to finish out the weekend long bracket racing event that the track was hosting. Once that was finished, the track prep was refreshed for our rental and then we were in business.

For my 1st pass, I had a pretty hot tune up from the last time I was out there. That probably wasn't the brightest idea. At least I did get to test out my shifts and it felt great going down the track.

The data log looked great, so I took a little power out for the launch and went for a 2nd pass. It spun and hopped again unfortunately.

After the 2nd attempt, I realized that I was working with a challenging track surface, so I changed my strategy. I neutered the tune up and took a softer approach which then led to my 8.818 @ 158.99 mph pass. A new personal best and a new Hellcat Charger record! What a surprise!

My work wasn't done though. Parts needed to be tested and I need to be able to do rounds if I'm going to compete again next year, so I kept at it.

For my 4th pass, I tried turning it up a touch but that didn’t work out so let's just have some fun and see if I can make some a-b passes to finish out the night.

5th pass was an 8.973 @ 158.26 and my final pass was an 8.906 @ 158.41.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I couldn't be happier with how well this car is performing. This was a nice way to finish out the race season and I can't wait to see what's in store for 2020, not just for myself but for everyone else who's pushing this platform to new heights.

In the video I’m sharing, I included all my botched launches along with my clean passes in chronological order from 1 through 6. Timeslips also attached for your viewing pleasure. Thanks again everyone for your kind words and support!

Timeslip Pass 1.jpg Timeslip Pass 2.jpg Timeslip Pass 3 8.818 158.99.jpg Timeslip Pass 4.jpg Timeslip Pass 5.jpg Timeslip Pass 6.jpg

Build Details as of December 2019:
- Demon Performance/TKM Built 428 Stroker Motor
- Thitek Custom Heads
- Demon Performance Blower Cam
- Whipple 4.5L Supercharger
- Paramount Performance Rebuilt HP90 A8
- Killer Chiller with extra 1.25 Gallon Intercooler Reservoir Tank
- Genuine Lower Rate Dodge Demon Springs
- Injector Dynamics ID1700 - Fore Triple Pump Return Style Fuel System
- Stainless Works Long Tube Headers
- Whiteline Poly Cradle Bushings
- TCE 15" Rear Brake Conversion
- High Horse Performance / Bogart 15" Rear Beadlock Wheels
- Mickey Thompson 275 ET Street Pro Radials
- TCE 15" Front Brake Conversion
- RC Comp Hammers 15" Wheels
- Mickey Thompson ET Front Skinnies
- BMR Upper Control Arm, Upper Trailing Arm, and Lower Trailing Arm, all with upgraded Delrin bushings where applicable
- Per4mance Development DIRS Diff Brace
- Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Driveshaft
- Driveshaft Shop 1,400 Half-Shafts
- Anti Gravity Lithium Ion Battery
- 180 Degree Thermostat
- ZAutomotive Tazer
- ZAutomotive Double Bypass Cable - allows use of Tazer + Datalogger simultaneously

Last edited:

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Looking good.

Mike Comp T/A #57

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Batavia
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Awesome!

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Great times!

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
4 doors for more....ahem....:LOL:

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
Great job!!

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Truly awesome!!! Congratulations on your new pb!!
I have enjoyed reading about your progress over the year. Glad you made it out one more time, I bet.
Looking forward to your updates in the new year. I have at least 4.5 months more of crap weather and melting salt snow to wait out.🙁
So motivational posts like this are helpful for my sanity.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Outstanding! Whipple World is all a twitter. At least I know I am. 😂

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
WTG!!!!! Z really Happy for you and your success this year![twothumb]

Congrats!

Linda[burnout]

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Simply amazing...

;)

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Story mode time!

I thought I was done for the year but I just had this itch to try and validate some TCM tweaks I've been working on. There's only so much "testing" you can do on the street before it's time you know? I just couldn't wait until next year to answer my own questions.

So we packed everything up and headed out to one of the last few private rentals left to try and make a couple clean passes. Honestly, that was all I hoped to do. I went knowing the prep wouldn't be amazing, but it did turn out to be decent enough for me to work with.

It was a struggle but we worked our way through it and made several decent passes along with several botched ones.

The struggles started with me and my friends trying to break into my own truck. I somehow managed to lock both my keys and my wife's keys in it... how does that even happen?

Luckily, no track time was lost as our private rental was delayed to finish out the weekend long bracket racing event that the track was hosting. Once that was finished, the track prep was refreshed for our rental and then we were in business.

For my 1st pass, I had a pretty hot tune up from the last time I was out there. That probably wasn't the brightest idea. At least I did get to test out my shifts and it felt great going down the track.

The data log looked great, so I took a little power out for the launch and went for a 2nd pass. It spun and hopped again unfortunately.

After the 2nd attempt, I realized that I was working with a challenging track surface, so I changed my strategy. I neutered the tune up and took a softer approach which then led to my 8.818 @ 158.99 mph pass. A new personal best and a new Hellcat Charger record! What a surprise!

My work wasn't done though. Parts needed to be tested and I need to be able to do rounds if I'm going to compete again next year, so I kept at it.

For my 4th pass, I tried turning it up a touch but that didn’t work out so let's just have some fun and see if I can make some a-b passes to finish out the night.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I couldn't be happier with how well this car is performing. This was a nice way to finish out the race season and I can't wait to see what's in store for 2020, not just for myself but for everyone else who's pushing this platform to new heights.

In the video I’m sharing, I included all my botched launches along with my clean passes in chronological order from 1 through 6. Timeslips also attached for your viewing pleasure. Thanks again everyone for your kind words and support!

View attachment 7801 View attachment 7802 View attachment 7803 View attachment 7804 View attachment 7805 View attachment 7806
Good on you mate! lol, think those folks lining up with you at the tree were intimidated?

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Story mode time!

View attachment 7801 View attachment 7802 View attachment 7803 View attachment 7804 View attachment 7805 View attachment 7806
ALL I CAN SAY IS A BIG WOW ,AWESOME RUNS ,ID LIKE TO KNOW YOUR SET UP IF YOU EVER GET TIME

OP
Z

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
Truly awesome!!! Congratulations on your new pb!!
I have enjoyed reading about your progress over the year. Glad you made it out one more time, I bet.
Looking forward to your updates in the new year. I have at least 4.5 months more of crap weather and melting salt snow to wait out.🙁
So motivational posts like this are helpful for my sanity.
4.5 months... geez, I don't know how I would cope.

Glad these updates are helping to fill a void!

OP
Z

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
WTG!!!!! Z really Happy for you and your success this year![twothumb]

Congrats!

Linda[burnout]
Thanks Linda! It's been an amazing journey through 2019 and I'm happy to be able to share some of it with the community.

OP
Z

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15
ALL I CAN SAY IS A BIG WOW ,AWESOME RUNS ,ID LIKE TO KNOW YOUR SET UP IF YOU EVER GET TIME
I updated my 1st post with the following info for future reference.

Build Details:
- Demon Performance/TKM Built 428 Stroker Motor
- Thitek Custom Heads
- Demon Performance Blower Cam
- Whipple 4.5L Supercharger
- Paramount Performance Rebuilt HP90 A8
- Killer Chiller with extra 1.25 Gallon Intercooler Reservoir Tank
- Genuine Lower Rate Dodge Demon Springs
- Injector Dynamics ID1700 - Fore Triple Pump Return Style Fuel System
- Stainless Works Long Tube Headers
- Whiteline Poly Cradle Bushings
- TCE 15" Rear Brake Conversion
- High Horse Performance / Bogart 15" Rear Beadlock Wheels
- Mickey Thompson 275 ET Street Pro Radials
- TCE 15" Front Brake Conversion
- RC Comp Hammers 15" Wheels
- Mickey Thompson ET Front Skinnies
- BMR Upper Control Arm, Upper Trailing Arm, and Lower Trailing Arm, all with upgraded Delrin bushings where applicable
- Per4mance Development DIRS Diff Brace
- Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Driveshaft
- Driveshaft Shop 1,400 Half-Shafts
- Anti Gravity Lithium Ion Battery
- 180 Degree Thermostat
- ZAutomotive Tazer
- ZAutomotive Double Bypass Cable - allows use of Tazer + Datalogger simultaneously

OP
Z

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #16
Good on you mate! lol, think those folks lining up with you at the tree were intimidated?
There was a time not too long ago where I don't think anyone would have been intimidated. I think the word got out about my car at this particular rental so maybe?

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Congrats, very impressive from where you started.

FlyByU

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stafford
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2010 Challenger SRT
You da man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Good stuff man. Shifts sound strong and clean.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Just caught this build thread. I'm old school (54yrs old). I still can't believe how docile these cars or "builds" are at idle and controllable. It never ceases to amaze me. In the old days that would be a gas spitti'n, rat-a -at-tat, loud, raucous, ridiculous untamed beast and still wouldn't be that fast. It doesn't seem to EXPLODE off the line, more again a controlled giddy up (although 1.3-1.4 60ft is awesome!) which is even MORE impressive because the after 60' acceleration must be ridiculous. SIMPLY AMAZING. Well done and good luck in further pursuits with it.