Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

New NHRA Cage Rules..

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Yea, it popped up on the racer site just today - maybe the lawyers were blessing it since 12/8.
I ran across it somewhere else before here so it was released today but written way earlier

hell on wheels

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
Pants, gloves, full face helmet required?

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #103
Great news.
Remember guys this is at Street Legal events only.
The NHRA is defining what they consider “Street Legal”. This in not just for “events” where a car is entered in a class in that catagory. It will apply at all NHRA sanctioned tracks no matter what the event. That will include test & tune and events (like the MSHS) that choose to follow the NHRA rulebook.

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #104
Pants, gloves, full face helmet required?
Yes. All of the previously required personal safety equipment for running under 10 seconds is still the same

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Yes. All of the previously required personal safety equipment for running under 10 seconds is still the same
Thats not how I read the rule. The Rule Revision is posted on NHRA site. If I am reading correctely you need a single layer SFI jacket, regular pants, closed toe shoes and socks and a helmet appropriate for 9.0 sec. So full face and in a full body enclosed car face shield is optional. You also must have a level 6 license to go 9.99 or quicker or go 135-150 MPH.

@hell on wheels

Last edited:

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
I am not totally sure on the scope either. The way I read it, you can't enter your stock Demon in S/ST or S/G for a national or Lucas divisional event (not that anyone would, just using this as an example) without all the chassis/cage rules applying. Seems like it's just for "Street" /club events, maybe the Summit ET Bracket program?

Mike Jesse

Member ID
Reactions
City
Bremerton
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 SRT Super Stock 2022 Ram 1500 TRX
If you really want the straight scoop, get in touch with your NHRA division tech director and ask.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thats not how I read the rule. The Rule Revision is posted on NHRA site. If I am reading correctely you need a single layer SFI jacket, regular pants, closed toe shoes and socks and a helmet appropriate for 9.0 sec. So full face and in a full body enclosed car face shield is optional. You also must have a level 6 license to go 9.99 or quicker or go 135-150 MPH.

@hell on wheels
Ron has it right. Just went out and bought 3.2a/5 jacket and pants and looks like I just needed a 3.2a/1 jacket. There is some grey area so with other classes other the street legal none of this may apply. I would think NMCA Hemi shootout will go by these rules since you are required to have DOT tires to win a class and their aim has been a street class. Would also think true street would follow this
Page 10
https://www.nhraracer.com/Files/Tech/2022 Rulebook Amendments 3-1-2022.pdf

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #109
Ron has it right. Just went out and bought 3.2a/5 jacket and pants and looks like I just needed a 3.2a/1 jacket. There is some grey area so with other classes other the street legal none of this may apply. I would think NMCA Hemi shootout will go by these rules since you are required to have DOT tires to win a class and their aim has been a street class. Would also think true street would follow this
Page 10
https://www.nhraracer.com/Files/Tech/2022 Rulebook Amendments 3-1-2022.pdf
It says that the protective clothing and gear requirement is dependent on the et and mph of the car and is the same as in the Summit Series and other NHRA event requirements. I read that as…. If you are running a “street legal” car running 10.0 then you only need the helmet and -1 jacket. If you are running 9.0 then it’s going to be the full -5 suit. That requirement includes the pants, shoes, gloves and neck protection.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
It says that the protective clothing and gear requirement is dependent on the et and mph of the car and is the same as in the Summit Series and other NHRA event requirements. I read that as…. If you are running a “street legal” car running 10.0 then you only need the helmet and -1 jacket. If you are running 9.0 then it’s going to be the full -5 suit. That requirement includes the pants, shoes, gloves and neck protection.
Did you click on the link, page 10? This is the way it reads

Drivers in vehicles quicker than 11.49 (*7.35 eighth mile) or slower than 9.00 (*5.65 eighth mile) or faster than 135 mph or slower than 150 mph are required to wear a minimum SFI 3.2A/1 jacket; full-length pants (no shorts); closed shoes (no open-toe or open heel-shoes or sandals); socks and a helmet. See General Regulations 10:7 for helmet requirements.

Why I said it may only be the street legal class. Lets say you want to run super gas then they may not apply and you need the other stuff

Last edited:
OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #111
Did you click on the link, page 10? This is the way it reads

Drivers in vehicles quicker than 11.49 (*7.35 eighth mile) or slower than 9.00 (*5.65 eighth mile) or faster than 135 mph or slower than 150 mph are required to wear a minimum SFI 3.2A/1 jacket; full-length pants (no shorts); closed shoes (no open-toe or open heel-shoes or sandals); socks and a helmet. See General Regulations 10:7 for helmet requirements.
Yes I see that. They are grouping cars that run 11’s with cars that run all the way down to 9.0 at 150 in that paragraph. In one of the other paragraphs it says that protective gear is based on et as in the Summit Series. That to me is contradictory. This is typical of the difficulty interpreting NHRA rules and technical requirements. Personally I don’t think it makes any difference in these cars. They are not a risk of explosion that is going to expose the driver to a rapid fire where a fire suit is needed for protection. The big result of these changes will be that the tracks that have been restricting the 9 second cars are going to allow them to run without feeling like they are exposing themselves to liability for not following the track sanction safety requirements.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Yes I see that. They are grouping cars that run 11’s with cars that run all the way down to 9.0 at 150 in that paragraph. In one of the other paragraphs it says that protective gear is based on et as in the Summit Series. That to me is contradictory. This is typical of the difficulty interpreting NHRA rules and technical requirements. Personally I don’t think it makes any difference in these cars. They are not a risk of explosion that is going to expose the driver to a rapid fire where a fire suit is needed for protection. The big result of these changes will be that the tracks that have been restricting the 9 second cars are going to allow them to run without feeling like they are exposing themselves to liability for not following the track sanction safety requirements.
And like normal, grey area. I'm thinking these only apply to this street legal class and not the other classes. I'm sure the super gas guys would get mad also if someone brought their daily driver to compete with them:unsure:

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #113
And like normal, grey area. I'm thinking these only apply to this street legal class and not the other classes. I'm sure the super gas guys would get mad also if someone brought their daily driver to compete with them:unsure:
Haha. I doubt a real S/G would have much to fear from a “street legal” car in that class. Seeing that they operate with electronics that dial them in to a hundred of a second off that 9.90 index, they would look at that as a free pass to the next round.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
I already bought the 3-2A/5 Pants and have already been running that version of the Jacket and a neck collar for years. So, I am going to use them. I wear shorts 99% of the time so I am going to change clothes to race regardless. I just do not need to buy the Golves and have been dragging my feet on that one. I also kind of like the full face helmet after all. Used it at Legions, Masons and Irwindale this past weekend with zero issues. Also working on a full set of DOT legal Race wheels and tires.

hell on wheels

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
I already bought the 3-2A/5 Pants and have already been running that version of the Jacket and a neck collar for years. So, I am going to use them. I wear shorts 99% of the time so I am going to change clothes to race regardless. I just do not need to buy the Golves and have been dragging my feet on that one. I also kind of like the full face helmet after all. Used it at Legions, Masons and Irwindale this past weekend with zero issues. Also working on a full set of DOT legal Race wheels and tires.
Gloves with a touch screen.

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #116
Gloves with a touch screen.
As my car has progressed into the zone where real fire protection is necessary, I wear gloves. I got a really comfortable set of Simpsons that are nice. I cut the finger tips off the index fingers and thumbs to have the feel necessary to use the switches and buttons. I have a old set I use to pass tech inspection that haven’t been modified just in case.

Mike Jesse

Member ID
Reactions
City
Bremerton
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I suggest everyone make a copy of pages 9-11 and carry them in your car.
Sometimes the local tech inspectors are not up on the latest rule revisions.
Just to be safe, I'd also buy both the single layer jacket/pants, full face helmet, and neck collar.
Tech inspections at first might be a bumpy ride until the inspectors are all tuned into the revisions.

Mike Jesse

Member ID
Reactions
City
Bremerton
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
If someone showed up at a regular NHRA event to run SG, you would be laughed off of the property.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I have been using a full face helmet now for 5 years, still don't like it. looking down is so much harder and I'm always looking for something. Data logging just adds to that

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
If someone showed up at a regular NHRA event to run SG, you would be laughed off of the property.
The point was not having to have all the safety stuff and bring a street car. As far as the electronics didn't think about that. Never thought they have any business being in drag racing. To me it is about the driver and the car and they take the driver out of it