Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

New Stock Demon Record 9.55!!!

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Just so I'm understanding this correctly. A guy that weighs over 200lbs more than Leah (for example, not calling Ron fat, haha) can take out 200lbs of weight to equal that of Leah's race weight? Seems a bit odd to me. I always thought taking weight out helps but taking out weight from different sections of the car front vs back or rotational weight can change that advantage. Plus the size of tire with extra sidewall or grip can make a difference as well. Seems like being fat to me at that point is an advantage as you can pick and choose where to pull weight and add grip. Versus the smaller person is stuck with a factory stock car.

I think the confusing part of all this is, these records are being called "stock" breaking records, and yet no weight is recorded after the run (So the race weight is verified). That and I've seen no records of what Leah's race weight was. Most just think when someone is breaking a stock record they are hoping in a stock Demon and running it. So what if a driver is lighter than Leah (If that's even possible)? Would they have to add weight?

I agree a clear race weight for stock record should have been laid out. That and unless the drivers beating these records have proof and had their cars weighed at the track day of. Too much gray area for this record. People are going to be pulling out 100s of pounds and be like "stock" record beat, lol.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Because Leah is 50 lbs lighter than Ron. At the track on race day the weight is determined by rolling the car into the scales with the driver in it immediately after the run. This weight is what should be the focus. Not the battery or any other items that don’t change performance other than weight. As long as Ron’s car (with him in it) is not lighter than that Demon was when it ran that record number with her driving, then his numbers are legit as far as I’m concerned. This is the way the NHRA determines records in all classes that have weight limits. Anything else is just individuals making things up to suit their opinions.
Minimum weight is one thing. Relocating weight and while still meeting the minimum is something completely different. As is standardizing any testing procedures (spec tires, spec wheels, use of torque reserve, employment of the transbrake, etc). Dodge didn't lay it all out for their record runs on what all the variables were, so there is quite a lot of subjectivity on the matter of what counts, and what doesn't.

Obviously the one-seater stripper Demons have the technical advantage from the start; especially with a petite professional driver in one for Dodge. Thus, fatter cars and fatter less skilled drivers are at a disadvantage too.

I mean, if you made owners race them as they ordered them the dozen or so single seat Demons would be highly coveted for a spec racing series aimed solely at the stock record. But, there is just way too much left open to interpretation by people with agendas, and little ego micro penis issues; and then of course there is cheating to manage the emotional insecurity of a few trivial self-promoting individuals (and it will happen) so who is doing the teardown tech inspection validating the new record like so many sanctioning bodies demand? Is the trans in spec (stock clutches and tolerances, stock converter STR, etc)? Has the engine been blueprinted or is it factory sealed? Driveline modifications (gun drilling, lighter weight parts, reducing frictional losses, etc)? Body modifications (acid dipping, thinner glass, etc)? This is how record chasing spirals out of control.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I found some kind of easter egg shift schedule in the Demon tune that takes it to 6700 RPM. Everywhere else is max of 6350 if memory serves. No idea how that's activated, but it's in there. Dodge could have used it. Maybe it's a click the left paddle 3 times in park and tap the brake twice or something to turn it on LOL.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
I found some kind of easter egg shift schedule in the Demon tune that takes it to 6700 RPM. Everywhere else is max of 6350 if memory serves. No idea how that's activated, but it's in there. Dodge could have used it. Maybe it's a click the left paddle 3 times in park and tap the brake twice or something to turn it on LOL.
Or perhaps someone else recently figured it out and is now using it?

I've touched on this before that the ECMs in these cars are common to many makes at FCA; and there are lots of unused pins some with functions, some without any assigned that can have features allocated (hence the new native sensor E85 conversion). They are just computers after all and "if" and "then" conditions are met they will just do as they are told. Ones and zeros.

Bucks666

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Grove City
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 hellcat / 2018 demon
Amazing what these cars can do with higher 1-2 / 2-3 shift points ....... hell he got to the 330 the same when I ran the 9.30 in atco lol

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Factory Demon Rev limit on the PCM side is 6500 so using a mode that accesses those 6700 shifts would just lead to bouncing off the limiter and no shift would occur or it would occur while banging off the limiter.

Figured I’d chime in and debunk that now.

Bucks666

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Grove City
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Still can be adjusted if the pcm is cracked .... I have personally seen some “stock “ demon folks data logging with hp . Just saying .....

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Still can be adjusted if the pcm is cracked .... I have personally seen some “stock “ demon folks data logging with hp . Just saying .....
I would data log too. Even stock, the data provides valuable insights into what’s happening during the run. There are things you can adjust outside of the tune like your cool down strategy in between a set of passes. Having data gives you numbers to make reliable decisions versus just doing what seems to make sense. The later, (common sense) sometimes leads to less than optimal results,

Bucks666

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Grove City
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
I’m well aware of what numbers do and my point remains if it’s stock then there is no reason to adjust anything if chasing a stock record ..... unless you are trying to move your goal post a little closer lol ....

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
So here’s the big question, how do we know that the Demon FCA used wasn’t turned up??? It’s the old kiss and tell method.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
So here’s the big question, how do we know that the Demon FCA used wasn’t turned up??? It’s the old kiss and tell method.
Oh Hell, you just said the worst possible statement for a Demon owner, they will burn you at the stake for that.

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Probably but we’ll never know if it was a hot tune, look how long it has taken for all of the Demons out there to get to FCA’s numbers. I had a 71 Demon 340 that held the record “Pure stock” as they called it back in my days for quite some time. Then came the dealers toy 71 Demon 340 and kicked my ass into left field. I can tell you he wasn’t pure stock😂😜

GOMER

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middletown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat
Love my Demon and I'm really enjoying the conversation.

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Love my Demon and I'm really enjoying the conversation.
I want your hood😳

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I’m well aware of what numbers do and my point remains if it’s stock then there is no reason to adjust anything if chasing a stock record ..... unless you are trying to move your goal post a little closer lol ....
You can adjust you, and tire pressure, and other factors that a good log in addition to a timeslip can help you do. A log doesn't just tell you how to tune a PCM, it helps you tune everything, like a real racer would.

Bucks666

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Grove City
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Wow ... thank you for the clarification , I’ll have to remember that when tuning our outlaw class cars this year lol

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Wow ... thank you for the clarification , I’ll have to remember that when tuning our outlaw class cars this year lol
"no reason to adjust anything" ... simply pointing out all of the relevant areas you should be adjusting when chasing a record. The intended audience of your statement doesn't necessarily know the difference Mr Outlaw Class...

Bucks666

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Grove City
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Keep drinking that cool aid jack ....

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
The race PCM that has the 840 HP tune is not locked, it can be tweaked.

Congratulations to Ron, he has been chasing the record for a long time. I am happy for him, not easy going 9.55.

Regarding the Outlaw Class in MSHS, it is a joke (IMO) as the minimum weight is nothing close to any other series (MNCA, streets out, no prep racing, etc.). The highest minimum weight in any other series/event is 2,650, most are under 2,500 (depending on engine size and power adders). MSHS has it at 3,300 pounds, why? Hmmm, look at the weight of some of the sponsors cars, tells the real story.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
The race PCM that has the 840 HP tune is not locked, it can be tweaked.

Congratulations to Ron, he has been chasing the record for a long time. I am happy for him, not easy going 9.55.

Regarding the Outlaw Class in MSHS, it is a joke (IMO) as the minimum weight is nothing close to any other series (MNCA, streets out, no prep racing, etc.). The highest minimum weight in any other series/event is 2,650, most are under 2,500 (depending on engine size and power adders). MSHS has it at 3,300 pounds, why? Hmmm, look at the weight of some of the sponsors cars, tells the real story.
Thank God it's a joke to you!

Keep on Hating and figure out what you are building that Chassis car requirement Hellcat Vin
Not another picture in your build thread !
Ohh I like this, can I bring my 25.2 chassis Challenger? If it is a requirement, it can have a hellcat VIN attached. Maybe line up at the new Outlaw class.