Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Oh Mustangs, Cliffs, Trees, Creeks, Crowds.....the ongoing trend continues.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mustang Driver

TOP DEFINITION
Mustang Driver
This person is typically an idiot, and thinks that the ricer mentality applies only to those who drive japanese cars. In the younger stages, they often come into mustang ownership by way of their parent, and is almost always in a v6 configuration. Older mustang drivers liberally throw around the word "Muscle" car, completely ignorant to the Gran Torino, which was faster. Commonly, mustang drivers enjoy talking about their time slips from the last time they went to the track, which was 10 years ago. Mustang drivers also forget that an engine typically loses horsepower over time and with mileage. A great irony lies in the fact that mustang drivers talk about rebuilding their engines, when in reality it is a man named "Jed" at an auto shop rebuilding it, save for in older mustangs. I have found that mustang and camaro drivers are the same person, the only difference being the car their parents bought them when they were in high school, and, both are extremely proud of the fact that a 5 liter v8 has more power than a I4. Mustang owners also brag about their affinity for fixing cars, but are unlikely to do anything outside general maintenance. The only mustang driver worth his merit drives either a '70 429, or an '03 terminator.
Common mustang driver quotes:
"My parents bought me this new mustang for my birthday, and it can totally kick some civic's ass"

"My v6 mustang lost to a K-swapped civic, I better go home and make up shit about ricers on the forums"

"I can replace my sparkplugs, lets see a BMW driver do that"

"If I use this superchip I can get up to 200 more horsepower, which means I can kick that civic's ass without spending more than 400$"

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Redeye Widebody Jailbreak
I'm also a former Mustang owner. I've owned 5, 2 classics and at the time, 3 new ones (99, '14, '15). The '15 was built into a 1,024 whp street legal race car. I have some experience with this platform. When you compare the HC to the Mustang, yeah, it has a shorter wheelbase. But with the new IRS, it manages its torque steer fairly well. With proper rubber, even my 1,024whp car on the street could be launched conservatively at 1,800rpm without much drama. But, I've been driving big power cars for 20 years, so there's that.

The problem with the Mustang in general is that it has a fairly stiff stock rear suspension. If an inexperienced driver isn't paying attention and/or trying to do something stupid, they can break the tires out during lateral G forces and float the entire car. Per the norm, the Mustang likes to squat a little on the rear diff under acceleration, which lightens the front end. If the tires go up in smoke, you get reduced steering capacity and both tires are happy to skim on top of the surface, much like it's hydroplaning. Once that state is achieved, no amount of breaking, throttle response, or steering will prevent the car from doing whatever it damn well pleases until it either hits something or runs out of inertia.

To avoid this, the driver can feel the car getting loose before the tires break out. They can also not stab at the throttle when lateral G force loads are high (or, get off of the throttle immediately when the car starts to depart under torque steer). The Mustang has a very forgivable envelope with clear warning signs that tells the driver that something needs to change before the car goes off the rails. It also has a 0 tolerance policy for exceeding that envelope. If the driver doesn't take immediate action to correct the spin, the car deletes the driver and all input.

That being said, the Mustang takes a pretty stupid driver doing stupid things to get to that point. Especially in the 2015+ models with better stability control than any Mustang that came before it. The reason we see so many of these occurrences is mainly due to the popularity of the car and the relatively low price point you can get 400+ hp for. You can snag a moderately used 2015 GT for under 20 grand now. Before, these drivers were making due with FRS/BRZ, 350Z, Civics, and similar imports. Now, they can afford a car with double the power for a similar price point. See: Low/no experience RWD V-8 drivers suddenly being given the keys to a car that can do a burnout without having to be in the middle of a turn.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I never figured the car was the problem. Rather, it is the shit for brains drivers that Mustangs seem to attract. (Disclaimer: Good drivers own Mustangs, too.)

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
My '04 Terminator could get squirley real fast.

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #25
The shorter wheel base is the issue which she gets sideways much easier and trust me on this. I didn't even mean to drift my GT500 out of exit to the main road and I as I was getting on the main road I nailed her and she was side ways drifting into the 3rd lane over which actually was my plan LOL. I have never had this happen in any of my Hellcats LOL.
A214B0C8-2555-45EC-B379-0885289AC065.jpeg

Last edited:

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Old thread revival day!

Test drove one like the original video. Wife loves them especially that paint scheme. Test drove one with the A10 and PP1 setup. It was a riot to drive but damn near 50k at the time.
It was going to be her fun car but she said no so we passed.

I'll get one of these A10 Mustang GTs in a couple of years when they are mid 20s or less and make a hot rod out of them.

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
When it’s wet outside on the roads you barely need any gas for the hellcat or any rwd to lose control. Especially if your not ready for it and your turning the steering wheel a bit around a corner and give it a little gas. I had the ass dip a little out on me over the weekend in the Charger in the wet. Only gave it gas for like literally half a second in fourth gear. Was like yup.. I’ll keep it in 5th. It’s dangerous if you try to use any pedal really in the wet. Anything over like 300 torque and 250 hp from low speeds you can expect that ass to come out.. just be ready and let off the throttle immediately and you can catch it relatively easy. If your on throttle for like 2 or 3 seconds spinning your going to be in for a scare.. happened to me once when this mustang was coming up on me and I was like ehhh what the heck.. the roads were dry and I was coming up to a big tunnel On the highway... I didn’t notice the runoff from the tunnel from rain earlier in the day at the entrance of the tunnel... big mistake.. I stabbed the throttle in the cat in like 3rd gear for 2.5 seconds... I nearly lost control.. luckily I was in the left lane and there was some space in the brake down to the left of me.. I swerved left and swerved right and came about a foot from a guy in his black Cherokee... swung it back again a couple times and then got in 6th gear and continued through the tunnel.., I was like f***ing hell.. I’ll make sure I never do that again when the road is wet

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
my first car when i was 16 was an s10.

Maybe 150hp idk it was a 1985 model. I could kick out the ass end in any type of rain/snow. It was actually a hoot to drive as i would just look for corners to drift around

Turn into the spin and modulate the throttle to get it back under control. Pretty sure when you slam on the brakes is when all hell breaks loose in a drift

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
The only time I've had control issues on the GT350 is on wet roads, which I virtually will NOT drive that car in the rain. The HellCat is almost worse despite being an auto.

Enter Durango SRT with AWD. That's precisely why I bought it.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
It called the Mustang curse , short wheel base & the ass end comes around real easy out of control & what @ChargerChallenger said.
I knew a woman who had the same trouble with her ass end...but she never owned a Mustang...

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
The only time I've had control issues on the GT350 is on wet roads, which I virtually will NOT drive that car in the rain. The HellCat is almost worse despite being an auto.

Enter Durango SRT with AWD. That's precisely why I bought it.
A week ago last sat..took my Demon out 9:30 am..air temp 47 degrees...road surface margially colder...Nitto DR;s did not work well at all...not for the faint of heart...

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
A week ago last sat..took my Demon out 9:30 am..air temp 47 degrees...road surface margially colder...Nitto DR;s did not work well at all...not for the faint of heart...
Yeah. Pucker factor goes thru the roof. 😳
Both times on wheel spin/slides it was pouring rain and I was already out, so I was heading home. I didn't feel the spin as quick on the GT350 because it was on an upshift, the HellCat? I noticed immediately. 😂

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
That's EXACTLY what he intended to do. I swear!
I guess it gives a whole new meaning to the term..go green...:unsure: