Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Oil catch cans

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I have an 2001 camaro SS and everyone said you have to have a catch can in 20 years it has caught about a 1/4" of oil.
Are these cars different?
Did you just ask if a Camaro and a Hellcat are different?

FYI there are differences between the 6.4 and the Hellcat engines with respect to this subject. My old 6.4 would catch tons of oil, the Hellcat not so much.

Member ID
Reactions
City
deerfield beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 redeye
Absolutely

I get that much in 1500 miles without any race weekends, somewhat more if racing.

(Standard typical diameter can)

I pull the catch can off the camaro and install it on the hellcat. see what I catch.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
So I have closely, oh very closely inspected a supercharger passage after about 6000 miles of 100% use of the “drivers side” catch can. I confirmed to myself and can pass on two things.
1. Not a drop or hint of oil is in the supercharger intake.
2. That means it was catching anything (and there was some captured) from the left, and either none or an amount not visible must come from the “passenger side”.

Here is a picture. Please ignore the alloy shavings, as they did not originate from the intake direction. This particular supercharger decided to eat itself for brunch last month, and showered its host with a life ending shower of that shit before it seized its’ own fans up after getting a bit too hot too many times.

D689EA4D-0B1E-40BC-A7FC-B3BCC80CCE8C.jpeg

Idoru99

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dumfries
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Redeye WB
ok - I know I'm reviving a slightly old thread, but since people were talking about the UPR fender mount catch cans, which I ordered and attempted to install last night, I'm having an issue. The damn thing is too big to fit between the fender tab, washer fluid fill neck and the fuse box cover, let alone EVER getting the bottom half off to empty the thing. It's just too wide. I'll call UPR today about it, but was wondering if anyone else issue with install and if it's expected to be that tight of a fit. Thanks.

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
@Marc W, while I was researching catch cans I saw your post here and in another thread. IIRC you also had a Motion Raceworks OCC. Was this on a different car or did you swap one for the other...?

Sorry for the thread revive but I didn't want to start yet ANOTHER OCC thread. I'm a fan of them (I prefer ones that are vented/have a breather) for a variety of reasons and I'd like to have mine ready to install Day One whenever I finally take delivery!

Thanks...

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
My needs as far as crank case ventilation goes has become a concern due to a couple of new things. The stock Hellcat valve covers have baffling that does a good job of controlling oil. I have always had the common size (small) catch can that was not vented to the outside. It never collected much and I figured it wasn’t really necessary. So now a couple of new things. A different valve train and larger coil packs (Holley EFI) means I needed to go to the fabricated valve covers to make that work. Those things don’t have the internal baffling that the stockers do. I know some people who found out the hard way that these valve covers require a seriously capable catch can 😂. Anyway…. I was originally going to use the Motion Raceworks dual line can that you’re referring to. That is a really nice setup that is versatile in the way that it mounts and I would recommend it that for a high boost motor. I decided instead to go with this Moroso Monster with -16 lines from each side. With all the stuff removed, I have the room to mount it. I would guess a “normal” Hellcat might have a problem with that. A000147A-5B20-4367-AF11-857A0207DE5E.jpeg C0823350-B01E-4445-B8FB-DEF95C2776FF.jpeg

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
@Marc W, thanks for the reply/explanation, I appreciate it!