Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Oil change

Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
23 challenger hellcat jb-23 Chrysler 300c
I purchased my hellcat new off the show room floor with 17 miles on it in august of 23, after some mild city driving and roughly 320 miles I put it up on ramps and stored it for the winter.that said is it recommended that I change the oil first thing out of storage or am I good for for another 700 miles which is when I’ve done my first oil changes on my previous hot rods…

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Change it, and don't forget the oil in the cooler! Aside from all the normal reasons it should be done, remember that you have to have proof of an oil change every 6 months to retain your warranty.

OP
S
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
23 challenger hellcat jb-23 Chrysler 300c
Thread Starter #3
That is what I will do, thanks for you reply.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Nothing bad happens to oil sitting in the sump during storage, but yeah, change it for warranty purposes.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
...roughly 320 miles I put it up on ramps and stored it for the winter.that said is it recommended that I change the oil first thing out of storage ...
Too late now, but it's better to change the oil before storing the car.

Either way, oil analysis for two 'Cats after two low mileage years (about 500-600 total each) showed that the oil in both was still perfectly good. For at least another 3,000 miles.

Of course, both of them are always driven until the oil is actually warm, generally 100-200+ miles, whenever they're started. Short trips would change everything and make more frequent changes needed - which surely is what Stellantis had in mind when creating the dumb 6-month rule.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
My cat gets driven about 2500 miles a year. I’m only doing one before storage in November, now.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
My cat gets driven about 2500 miles a year. I’m only doing one before storage in November, now.
That's what I normally do, but somehow the oil didn't get changed in either one before last winter's hibernation.

Even though it wasn't on purpose, it was not surprising to see the lab results come out good after two years. Depending on the mileage, I may go to every other year instead of once a year.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I purchased my hellcat new off the show room floor with 17 miles on it in august of 23, after some mild city driving and roughly 320 miles I put it up on ramps and stored it for the winter.that said is it recommended that I change the oil first thing out of storage or am I good for for another 700 miles which is when I’ve done my first oil changes on my previous hot rods…
This has been discussed before. Doesn’t the owner’s manual still say the oil is required to be changed tevery 6 months regardless of mileage? The warranty could be denied for failure to follow the specified schedule.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
.02 ahead

Change the oil/filter at 500, 1500 and then 3000 miles, then every 3000 miles OR a trackday/weekend.

Getting those initial wear metals out of your engine can only help you in the long run.

.02 behind

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
This has been discussed before. Doesn’t the owner’s manual still say the oil is required to be changed tevery 6 months regardless of mileage? The warranty could be denied for failure to follow the specified schedule.
Yes, it says in the owners manual, but that doesn't make the 6-month rule any less dumb. I have also been known not to always obey the speed limit.

Put the car away with fresh oil, then dump that zero mile oil in the spring? That only makes (some) sense if someone cold starts the engine every two weeks "to charge the battery", or whenever a neighbor wants to hear it run.

As mentioned, the rule is surely there for such worst case scenarios. Possibly also to some extent because FCA/Stellantis promised Pennzoil a predicted number of sales. Either way, logic told me that the 6-month rule is bogus, and my analysis results proved that it's every bit as dumb as I thought.

Warranty? Producing receipts for oil and filters isn't hard.

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
To keep the warranty you only need to have receipts showing you bought oil and a filter every 6 months, you don't actually have to put it in the motor.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yes, it says in the owners manual, but that doesn't make the 6-month rule any less dumb. I have also been known not to always obey the speed limit.

Put the car away with fresh oil, then dump that zero mile oil in the spring? That only makes (some) sense if someone cold starts the engine every two weeks "to charge the battery", or whenever a neighbor wants to hear it run.

As mentioned, the rule is surely there for such worst case scenarios. Possibly also to some extent because FCA/Stellantis promised Pennzoil a predicted number of sales. Either way, logic told me that the 6-month rule is bogus, and my analysis results proved that it's every bit as dumb as I thought.

Warranty? Producing receipts for oil and filters isn't hard.
Service mgr at my dealership said six months was dumb and would never deny a claim on that basis. “We love warranty work.”

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
Service mgr at my dealership said six months was dumb and would never deny a claim on that basis. “We love warranty work.”
I wouldn’t risk taking their word for it. I like my dealer and I have them do my oil changes with my guidance (I get to keep an eye on it while they do it)
I have mine done in November and May because of the six month thing and I know even with our crappy NW Ohio I can get it in sometime during those months regardless of weather.
Warranty is important to me as I also purchased the extended warranty on mine, this is the reason I will remain stock for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Service mgr at my dealership said six months was dumb and would never deny a claim on that basis.
My dealer (the owner) also doesn't see a need for it. He knows how I take care of my vehicles.

He also knows that other than for a blown up engine, possibly a transmission, I wouldn't want any kind of warranty work anyway. Give me the parts and let me install them. I just don't want to subject my vehicles to dealer service if at all possible.

Besides, I don't think the Challenger is still under warranty. Unless I bought an extended one for it, which is possible.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
.02 ahead

Change the oil/filter at 500, 1500 and then 3000 miles, then every 3000 miles OR a trackday/weekend.

Getting those initial wear metals out of your engine can only help you in the long run.

.02 behind
Some will never let go of the 3k mile oil change

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Too late now, but it's better to change the oil before storing the car.

Either way, oil analysis for two 'Cats after two low mileage years (about 500-600 total each) showed that the oil in both was still perfectly good. For at least another 3,000 miles.

Of course, both of them are always driven until the oil is actually warm, generally 100-200+ miles, whenever they're started. Short trips would change everything and make more frequent changes needed - which surely is what Stellantis had in mind when creating the dumb 6-month rule.
I would never change the oil before storage. If I did i would have to change it again afterwards. The oil is just going to sit in the pan during the winter and may get condisation from being warm and cold for 5 months. I want new oil in the car after sitting that long

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
I wouldn’t risk taking their word for it. I like my dealer and I have them do my oil changes with my guidance (I get to keep an eye on it while they do it)
I have mine done in November and May because of the six month thing and I know even with our crappy NW Ohio I can get it in sometime during those months regardless of weather.
Warranty is important to me as I also purchased the extended warranty on mine, this is the reason I will remain stock for the foreseeable future.
Same here.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country