Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Only thing Disappointing About The HC Charger

OP
Geerhed

Geerhed

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Beaver
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 WB Hellcat Charger
Thread Starter #21

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
...your elbow hangin out the window with your steering wheel fixed in one position just after dusk...
Highly unlikely, Geerhed. There are very few places around here where the roads are straight enough to keep the steering wheel in one position even for a few seconds.

Also, can't really do hand over hand steering very well in the sharp curves with an elbow hanging out the window.

And I try to avoid driving around dusk, since that's when the deer and elk are most active. A/C off? Yes, it just doesn't get hot enough around here to need it, really. And it's definitely not humid.

By the way, something tells me that you would not like driving my Peterbilt one bit. Not only are the wipers not rain sensitive, but the knobs (yes, there's one for each wiper) are kinda over towards the passenger side.
They're totally independent of each other, with infinitely variable speed (air driven), yet I can manage them while shifting the 18-speed, dimming the headlights with the floor switch, etc.

You're welcome to come by and drive that one if you want. But fair warning; it's a 2-door, and nothing is automated in any way. I think it's great fun to drive, but obviously in a slightly different way than the Challenger.

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
You're welcome to come by and drive that one if you want. But fair warning; it's a 2-door, and nothing is automated in any way. I think it's great fun to drive, but obviously in a slightly different way than the Challenger.
albeit they weigh about the same though, right? :p

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
albeit they weigh about the same though, right? :p
Close. But the real reason is the tall sidewalls on the 11R24.5s. The handling just isn't as crisp.

OP
Geerhed

Geerhed

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Beaver
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 WB Hellcat Charger
Thread Starter #25
Highly unlikely, Geerhed. There are very few places around here where the roads are straight enough to keep the steering wheel in one position even for a few seconds.

Also, can't really do hand over hand steering very well in the sharp curves with an elbow hanging out the window.

And I try to avoid driving around dusk, since that's when the deer and elk are most active. A/C off? Yes, it just doesn't get hot enough around here to need it, really. And it's definitely not humid.

By the way, something tells me that you would not like driving my Peterbilt one bit. Not only are the wipers not rain sensitive, but the knobs (yes, there's one for each wiper) are kinda over towards the passenger side.
They're totally independent of each other, with infinitely variable speed (air driven), yet I can manage them while shifting the 18-speed, dimming the headlights with the floor switch, etc.

Thanks for the offer but I think if was to drive any rigs for living that I owned I would own and drive a Kenworth beings they built them just down the road from where I live. Kenworth had us do a lot work for them for many years before I retired as well. I sure as hell don't miss the bright switch on the floor board, or the vacum powered windshield wipers either, and I really like the AC with a powered tilt wheel, (wish the powered tilt wheel was on the Laramie but for some reason they decided not to but it does have 4 doors) of course I like 4 doors rather than 2 its why I like the Charger! I like your list of rides but you can keep the Peterbulit!!I'm not much in two 2 doors! LOL

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Kenworth, huh? Well, sometimes you do have to settle for second best. Kinda like a taxi instead of a Challenger.
Want proof that Kenworths suck? You say that they have vacuum powered wipers. On Peterbilts they run on positive air pressure. Oh well, at least even KWs are 2-doors so they can't be all bad.

Anyway, I'm sure glad I never had to drive a tractor trailer for a living. That'd take the fun out of it. Bought mine because it is fun to drive, and use it as an RV.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
You have a good point I will hardly drive in the rain ....but did like the feature.
I have it on my jeep and turned it off. My thought when the wipers need to be on and the jeeps didn't line up:LOL:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Had rain sensing wipers once on an S500 back in the day. Was okay. Still wouldn't pay extra for it. It actually caused problems because had the windshield replaced and it somehow fouled the system up (had a chip was all). Also, that particular model had a windshield that prevented RF transmissions. Had just a little rectangle to the right of mirror where you could hang a toll road RFID tag. Anywhere else on the 'shield and the RF could not penetrate.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Had rain sensing wipers once on an S500 back in the day. Was okay. Still wouldn't pay extra for it. It actually caused problems because had the windshield replaced and it somehow fouled the system up (had a chip was all). Also, that particular model had a windshield that prevented RF transmissions. Had just a little rectangle to the right of mirror where you could hang a toll road RFID tag. Anywhere else on the 'shield and the RF could not penetrate.

That was the EMP protection :LOL:

blast.gif

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Cents we are on the subject of in ster mants. I had the earl changed the ottah day and the dealer changed the oil life on the panel where the MPH waz. Now it tells me the oil life and I want to change back to MPH digital read out. The proceedure to return it back,,dumbass redneck don't get it. Help.
[giggle][giddy][histerical]

OP
Geerhed

Geerhed

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Beaver
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 WB Hellcat Charger
Thread Starter #31
Kenworth, huh? Well, sometimes you do have to settle for second best. Kinda like a taxi instead of a Challenger.
Want proof that Kenworths suck? You say that they have vacuum powered wipers. On Peterbilts they run on positive air pressure. Oh well, at least even KWs are 2-doors so they can't be all bad.

Anyway, I'm sure glad I never had to drive a tractor trailer for a living. That'd take the fun out of it. Bought mine because it is fun to drive, and use it as an RV.
LOL...Never said they had vacuum powered wipers just remember the old days when wipers were! Every one takes a dump just like opinions! We agree on one thing for sure, Glad I never drove a rig for a living! Two doors can't be all that bad. Back in the day it kept those rascals in the back seat car from gettin out before car seats!

OP
Geerhed

Geerhed

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Beaver
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 WB Hellcat Charger
Thread Starter #32
I have it on my jeep and turned it off. My thought when the wipers need to be on and the jeeps didn't line up:LOL:
Well they could go back to when the jeep had the knob on the dash and turn for the wiper on the driver side only when you needed it?

OP
Geerhed

Geerhed

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Beaver
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 WB Hellcat Charger
Thread Starter #33
Next?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Well they could go back to when the jeep had the knob on the dash and turn for the wiper on the driver side only when you needed it?
Funny. Just before I read your post I remembered that I have one car with the lever on the vacuum wiper motor, and an external link that runs the passenger side off of it. Those can also be operated manually.

And I have one with only one wiper, that is completely manual. No wonder I don't find it hard to turn the wipers on in the Challenger without any electronic assistance.

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
Hell ! You're getting us old timers to reminisce about the good ol' days. Just about how our folks were when we were growing up as kids . Where the gas pump handle didn't shut off automatically and you just listened for the gurgling sound to know it was close to getting full. [woot][woot]just before it puked out gas all over your shoes and pray that didn't happen before you were going out of a date [pray]

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Hell ! You're getting us old timers to reminisce about the good ol' days. Just about how our folks were when we were growing up as kids . Where the gas pump handle didn't shut off automatically and you just listened for the gurgling sound to know it was close to getting full. [woot][woot]just before it puked out gas all over your shoes and pray that didn't happen before you were going out of a date [pray]
That would require both paying attention and thinking. These days we're not supposed to be forced to do either when driving. Hence, automated wipers, lights, etc.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that there isn't a light on the dash yet to indicate that the wipers are on.
Yes, we already have them for the lights. But if I turned them on, they're on. If I didn't turn them off they're still on. Heck, I even know if I opened a door without the ding-ding-ding telling me I did.