Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Really scared myself in the Hellcat. Time to move on?

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Try the black key, or valet mode. It will suck, but its the ultimate nanny mode. The problem with the cat is that the power is so effortless, and the car is so well built that at 150 it feels just as tame as at 55.

I passed a truck once that would not move over after doing well under the speed limit. I hammered it in a small fit of road rage and thought I was doing close to 100 and when I looked down I was shocked to see 154 on the clock! John and Horace Dodge will not be there to post our bail, so we better be careful and use some restraint when piloting our missiles. That self control thing is the hard part, as that blower whine is intoxicating and always makes you want to give her just a bit more beans.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
An interesting theory I'll throw out considering your recent thread:

Your subconscious is finding excuses to get rid of the Hellcat and Power Wagon for a new truck.......
Freud says (y)

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Oh yea, this car is scary fast. Even more so with better tires in the rear. It is also loud, big, and wants to break loose at every opportunity. Definitely not for the faint of heart!

OP
04Ram2500Hemi

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
Thread Starter #24
I appreciate everybody's thoughts so far. I've had this car for a while now (north of 10,000 miles), so I'm really used to the size of the car, and I understand my limits in the corners. This was one of those straight line starting at highway speeds and going way north of highway speeds and not a losing control in the corner kind of thing. We're talking do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to jail speeds. I wasn't surprised at how fast the car was going, I was well in control of the skinny peddle. Hell at the time I wasn't scared. It was the next day when I had a chance to reflect on everything that it kind of spooked me. This isn't me searching for an excuse to get a new truck, this is me searching to see if I really need a vehicle like this in the fleet. I'm not going to do anything rash, and I'll take the car out again. I just need to do some soul searching. I love the hell out of this car, but I'm going to do some more thinking.

Tannehill

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
New castle
State
DE
Country
United States
I appreciate everybody's thoughts so far. I've had this car for a while now (north of 10,000 miles), so I'm really used to the size of the car, and I understand my limits in the corners. This was one of those straight line starting at highway speeds and going way north of highway speeds and not a losing control in the corner kind of thing. We're talking do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to jail speeds. I wasn't surprised at how fast the car was going, I was well in control of the skinny peddle. Hell at the time I wasn't scared. It was the next day when I had a chance to reflect on everything that it kind of spooked me. This isn't me searching for an excuse to get a new truck, this is me searching to see if I really need a vehicle like this in the fleet. I'm not going to do anything rash, and I'll take the car out again. I just need to do some soul searching. I love the hell out of this car, but I'm going to do some more thinking.
Well, if it is your subconscious as I stated, you wouldn't be able to answer the bold part above truthfully :)o_O

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Well, if it is your subconscious as I stated, you wouldn't be able to answer the bold part above truthfully :)o_O
Omg...ptsd...my ex wife was a shrink!

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
Good luck in your endeavour, it is a tough decision to make. Personally I think we have these to enjoy and for the bragging rites....No REAL reason to have that much car, it is the want to factor that drives us to get and enjoy them. Sounds like you have a firm grasp on what you want vs. what you feel you need, the decision is ultimately up to you to make. Hopefully you will keep and enjoy the benefits, but if you decide to get something different, it is YOUR choice.

Tannehill

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
New castle
State
DE
Country
United States
Omg...ptsd...my ex wife was a shrink!
PTSD.....you should see a shrink about that :D

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
My need for speed verys from day to day. as mentioned above, set the speed warning to 10mph over. and the sweet lady will announce, the posted speed limit to you. this will give you a quick reminder of what you are doing. I tend to get my speed fix on the YZFR1. for the reason I can run it up and down real quick. Nothing like it for stimulation. BUT one needs to know his limits. you are in control. You set the limits. Just do it. Dont let the Cat drive you! you drive the Cat.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
An interesting theory I'll throw out considering your recent thread:

Your subconscious is finding excuses to get rid of the Hellcat and Power Wagon for a new truck.......
This isn't me searching for an excuse to get a new truck, this is me searching to see if I really need a vehicle like this in the fleet. I'm not going to do anything rash, and I'll take the car out again. I just need to do some soul searching. I love the hell out of this car, but I'm going to do some more thinking.
As mentioned - if you want to see what she'll really do, take it to the track or drag strip......no need to risk your CDL or livelihood. We all know these cars have waaayyy more power than what you'll ever need for "normal" street driving. We buy them....because Hellcat! Are you sure you're really not searching for an excuse? Made a fresh batch!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
It was only two days ago that I almost made a New Years resolution to start driving slower.

Ended up taking two 400-mile trips on consecutive days, and it tired me. Also, especially my right eye doesn't like it, because I don't blink much. I don't, subconsciously, because I want to fully concentrate.

Those trips were on really fun 2-lane roads in the Rockies, and as usual I'm doing at least 75, generally more. Much more. And plenty of full throttle passes, of course.
In other words, being on or close to the edge for hours on end, two days in a row, did take their toll.

Then there's the distinct possibility of hitting deer or elk. Not to mention getting caught.

So why a New Years resolution? I want to think this one over, seriously, before giving up the great fun. Not rush into anything, for a change.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Okay, you reflected on how fast you drove then resented it. Good, it probably was unsafe, and could have, but, did not result in a problem. You are following the same principal that divers follow. Don't go into a deep dive unless there is a reason to do it, it is risky. There is no reason to say I was at -150', just to brag. There is no reason to say I want 150mph on a public street, just to brag.

Okay, just don't do it again. It is self control, it is not which car or truck you own, they all go stupid multiples of speed limits. Would you sell your gun(s) because you thought you may shoot yourself or someone else? NO, you just don't do the wrong thing.

Like has been suggested, respect the capabilities of these machines. Take it out to a big road course. It is as safe as we can be besides just racing the 1/4's and 1/2's etc. I had not drove mine for five months. Took it out and drove it 500 miles basically on the interstate this past weekend. Hell yes, it can haul ass, and can be down right frightening! I won't lay hard into it on a public street. It just keeps pulling and pulling....YEP, that can lead to some real high speeds!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Okay, just don't do it again. It is self control, it is not which car or truck you own, they all go stupid multiples of speed limits.
Well, my main problem is that I go too fast in anything, including my Ram 3500 dually which always has some sort of trailer behind it. It's just not as fast as it would be in the 'Cat.

Generally, it's probably in the 85-95% range of what the vehicle is capable of, as far as cornering goes.
Speeds on the straights actually favor the 'Cat, in a sense, since it has at least a 50 mph reserve (including the brakes for it), while the 3500 gets to run much closer to maxed out.

Oh well, I've been this way most of my life, it's just that the vehicles keep getting faster and better. Even bought a '65 Cadillac to slow me down, for the second time in my life. That didn't last long, so it got traded in on the 'Cat.
I used to be double safe as my dad always claimed that God protects drunks and idiots. Guess I shouldn't have quit drinking.

Lord Hellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Barking
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
One of the many things I like about the Hellcat is that I can enjoy the car at the road legal speeds. Stick the cruise control on at 70 mph. Listen to the burble and the supercharger whine when I accelerate. I don't feel the need to drive it in crazy mode. I own and have owned cars that you only get a buzz from when really getting into it and in the UK with so many unmarked police cars and speed cameras it really is a lottery to keep you license if you want to press on. I took the car out for a run yesterday for the first time in must be 4 months. Had half a tank of gas that I put fuel stabilizer in and wanted to burn through it and fill it with a fresh tank of VPower. The missus kept saying. Can't you go any faster. I was going fast enough. I said what's the rush we don't have to be anywhere soon. I would say keep the Hellcat and enjoy it as I cannot think of another car that you can feel very chilled out in and can destroy most cars on the road that you will come across if you really feel the need to.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I did something stupid yesterday with my HC, been thinking about it since. Thinking about it afterwards means you know it was wrong and have remorse and have learned something through the experience. Scary would be not worrying about it. Learn from it and remember the moment each time you go out, use restraint when necessary and have fun where and when you know it’s safe too. We’re human, we make mistakes, learn from them and you’ll be good.
PS, buy a good radar detector (I use a a Uniden R3) coupled with WAZE and that will increase the odds of Smokey not ruining your day and CDL.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Something to think about being the Devils Advocate here :devilish: if you do something bad often enough :unsure: you eventually adapt:eek:. And in all sincereness who the hell hasn't driven their Hellcat too its naughty appetite :love:

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
OIPZHRF8SAA.jpg

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
We've all been through it. Just be responsible, certainly can't drive like that all the time.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
Take some cat herding classes and you'll be fine.:p:)

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States