Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Rear Bumper Grille Lights

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
So... I took a good look at my Hellcat Charger, the other day, and decided the rear bumper grilles needed to be lighted.

I cut two 6" waterproof led strips and added 36" leads, with male spade connectors, to the ends of the harness.

There are vents, to the interior of the trunk, behind each wheel well and behind the trunk liner. I stuck the strips to the inside of the bumper, about 1" from the grille, and ran the harness to each tail light, via these vents.

Connections were made at the tail light connector harness, using t-taps:

Black: Ground
White/Grey stripe: Running lights

That's it! Took about an hour to fab the harness and install the lights!

EDIT: A few members contacted me about selling these, on another forum, so I improved the kit by making the electrical connection at the rear side markers. MUCH cleaner installation.

Just throwing it out there, in case you wanna make your own :)

Bob
Riverside, California

Last edited:

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I think it looks killer!

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
That's pretty badass, actually. Looks awesome.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
You have all the cool mods.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Apopka
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Charger Scat Pack
Looks nice! Happen to have links to parts you used?

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
Looks nice! Happen to have links to parts you used?
Two 6" 5050 red LED strips.

Red and black 20awg wire (18" each).

Four t-taps.

Four male spade terminals.

VHB 3M double sided foam tape.

This kit ties into the rear side marker feed harness.

I am a vendor, here, and offer this kit for $25, shipped.

I also offer an optional kit that is a RUN/BRAKE/TURN and ties into the tail lights, for $50.

Remember, this is an accent light kit, so it is subtle.

Let me know if you have any questions via PM.

Bob

Last edited:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
So... I took a good look at my Hellcat Charger, the other day, and decided the rear bumper grilles needed to be lighted.

I cut two 6" waterproof led strips and added 36" leads, with male spade connectors, to the ends of the harness.

There are vents, to the interior of the trunk, behind each wheel well and behind the trunk liner. I stuck the strips to the inside of the bumper, about 1" from the grille, and ran the harness to each tail light, via these vents.

Connections were made at the tail light connector harness, using t-taps:

Black: Ground
White/Grey stripe: Running lights

That's it! Took about an hour to fab the harness and install the lights!

EDIT: A few members contacted me about selling these, on another forum, so I improved the kit by making the electrical connection at the rear side markers. MUCH cleaner installation.

Just throwing it out there, in case you wanna make your own :)

Bob
Riverside, California
That's pretty awesome!

Member ID
Reactions
City
Indianapolis
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
17 Charger Hellcat
Had these on my scat pack. They added a very nice touch. Will probably get them on my HC as well now once the pocketbook catches up.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Apopka
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Charger Scat Pack
I am a vendor, here, and offer this kit for $25, shipped.

I also offer an optional kit that is a RUN/BRAKE/TURN and ties into the tail lights, for $50.

Remember, this is an accent light kit, so it is subtle.

Let me know if you have any questions via PM.

Bob
Do you happen to have the LED in blue? If so might just pick up a kit after this craziness blows over.

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
Do you happen to have the LED in blue? If so might just pick up a kit after this craziness blows over.
Blue, pink, green, red, white, amber, UV Purple.

No change in price, for different single colors.

Bob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Apopka
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Charger Scat Pack
Got these in today. First of all, this is quality assembled kit. The leads are properly crimped, the connection point with the LED strip is sealed and heat shrinked (see Pic 1 & 2). Cable has snake skin on it for the entire run up until a small whip for the leads (see pic 3). Also included was a diagram for both driver and passenger side cable pinout for which to tap these into using the supplied taps.

Being that I live in Florida wanted to mount the whole thing in such a way that water would not be an issue. Both ends of the LED strip are sealed but can never be too careful. The area where this would go is open enough to not have to remove any body panels or anything to get to where you want to go. Just drop down and scoot underneath the rear quarter panel by the bumper. After looking at it for a minute I decided to mount the strip vertically just past the vent, so that it would be parallel with the vent as seen from the back and light up the little inner quarter panel space (see pic 4 & 5).

At this point I was going to tap into the side marker lights as indicated by the paperwork. Mine is a 2020 Scat Pack Charger. On the driver side there was a small bundle of 2x wires that were easily identified as the leads for the sidemarker light. On the passenger side there was a larger bundle seemingly as this is where the majority of the harness comes through the body paneling. Both leads were wrapped in protective shielding.

Peeled the shielding back carefully, wiggled the wires open enough to get the taps on there. Closed them up, connected the leads from the installed LED's and on they were! At that point in time I zip-tied the LED cable to the car's harness to provide some strain relief on the leads and then also zip-tied the LED cable to the frame to provide some strain relief on the adhesive tape (see pic 6). Made sure that there was a belly in both for drainage and went inside to have a beer!

**One more tip that I would offer to others. Depending on the age of your car and many other factors the car's wires can be very hard to puncture fully by the taps. I noticed that on mine they were gripping but had a hard time making a clean cut to the wire. VERY carefully I backed away some of the insulation of the wires with a knife to make sure that the taps got a good bite.**

Thank you very much to @Diboblo for a great product and making it super simple!! Now on to some pics.

Attachments