Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

REDEYE: Spare tire and more weights and measures.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Sorry,

But if you swap out rubber for speed rated tire would it fit in well? Or am I missing something. I'm known to do that sometimes. LOL.
The current spare that I have meausres about 27.5 tall, and I should be able to find a front runner tire that will be the same or close enough. More to follow next week :)
If it does fit over my front brakes (Brembo 4 piston), I'll takes pics of it sitting in the trunk well too so that way all of the info should be covered.

Last edited:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I didn't know any SRT Challengers came with a spare. I thought only the pump/goop kit. But I did hear that 300 SRT's came with spares. Hope that works . Definitely a deeper offset in the rim.
I got that info about the spacer form some people who had I think 2009/2010 SRT Challengers. They were cars that had the factory Brembo brakes and the factory spare at the time would not fit over the fronts without a spacer. These cars came from the factory with a spacer. They told me the spacers measured out at about 1-1.5 inches. There is a company that makes the spacer and it costs around $90. I'd rather just have a spare that fits and not have to deal with the whole spacer issue. The new spare rim from Chrysler is listed as fitting the 6.2 and 6.4 L cars, which all come with those big front brakes. We'll see when it gets here :) More info to come......

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Sorry,

But if you swap out rubber for speed rated tire would it fit in well? Or am I missing something. I'm known to do that sometimes. LOL.
18x6 Racestars with 28" tall M/T radials are good for 150+MPH. This is one more reason I chose the heavier tires for my drag pack. HCs need something designed to fit over the front brakes. If I blow a rear tire I swap the front to rear and put the skinny up front. Easy peasy.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Can I please get an idea on how wide this tire / rim combo is at its widest? I’m looking for a spare that will both accommodate the HC’s large brakes as well as fit beneath the rear strut tower brace I just installed. Looks like Ive got about 8 inches:
View attachment 9724
Can you still access your tire well under the trunk carpeting? I took out that big piece of styrofoam and was able to mount it all there. The jack and all mount under the tire. There is a wingnut under the tire that holds the jack and handle down so it doesn't rattle around. Then there is that big flower looking hold down on top of the wheel that holds the wheel down (this is the stuff mounted in my car. I have also included some size comparison pics compared to my factory tire.

IMG_20190406_121256678 (1).jpg

IMG_20190608_091452869_HDR (1).jpg

IMG_20190608_091543176_HDR (5).jpg

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
My HK subs reside beneath that carpet where spare would be.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
My HK subs reside beneath that carpet where spare would be.
Those aren't subs - they are overgrown tweeters in a big box.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I guess...

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
FYI - I was re-installing my drag wheel/tire setup on my REWB today. I had seen this thread earlier and decided to see if my 28" M/T front skinny would fit into my spare tire well. It comes close but just won't go. It might go if deflated.

Just info for the sake of info...

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
FYI - I was re-installing my drag wheel/tire setup on my REWB today. I had seen this thread earlier and decided to see if my 28" M/T front skinny would fit into my spare tire well. It comes close but just won't go. It might go if deflated.

Good info, thanks!

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle

Good news is the trunk is still so spacious.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I got that info about the spacer form some people who had I think 2009/2010 SRT Challengers. They were cars that had the factory Brembo brakes and the factory spare at the time would not fit over the fronts without a spacer. These cars came from the factory with a spacer. They told me the spacers measured out at about 1-1.5 inches. There is a company that makes the spacer and it costs around $90. I'd rather just have a spare that fits and not have to deal with the whole spacer issue. The new spare rim from Chrysler is listed as fitting the 6.2 and 6.4 L cars, which all come with those big front brakes. We'll see when it gets here :) More info to come......
UPDATE:

Ok....I promised to report back after the "new" spare rim/tire arrived.
Weight = @35 lbs.
The good: it fits better than the original spare rim/tire that I purchased.
The bad: it won't fit without a spacer. I don't know why Chrysler lists this as fitting a Demon, Scat Pack 392, etc because it does not fit over my 4 piston brakes.
So...at this point I'm just gonna spend the 90 dollars for the spacer and be done with it.

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #33
UPDATE:

Ok....I promised to report back after the "new" spare rim/tire arrived.
Weight = @35 lbs.
The good: it fits better than the original spare rim/tire that I purchased.
The bad: it won't fit without a spacer. I don't know why Chrysler lists this as fitting a Demon, Scat Pack 392, etc because it does not fit over my 4 piston brakes.
So...at this point I'm just gonna spend the 90 dollars for the spacer and be done with it.
Trooper thanks a lot. Not the answer I wanted but a definitive answer. Now we all know. Don't know where your getting the $80-90 prices on spacers, but if your only using for emergency spare, they can be had on E-bay for @$30 (3MM-5MM). Not cheap cast sh^&. Machined one piece spacers. Thanks again for posting the follow up. I guess that's the path I'm gonna take.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Trooper thanks a lot. Not the answer I wanted but a definitive answer. Now we all know. Don't know where your getting the $80-90 prices on spacers, but if your only using for emergency spare, they can be had on E-bay for @$30 (3MM-5MM). Not cheap cast sh^&. Machined one piece spacers. Thanks again for posting the follow up. I guess that's the path I'm gonna take.
these are the ones I've looked at...

https://adaptitusa.com/dodgechallengermagnumchargersrtsparewheelspacer.aspx

I have 6mm worth of spacer on my fronts now for the R/T rims and tires that I put on for winter use. Those rims wouldn't fit over the front brakes either, but 6 mm just barely makes them clear. Either of the Dodge spares that I bought will require MORE than that 6mm. The original spare that I got from the 2007 300 needs more spacer than the 2015 Charger spare I just got this week.
The 2015 spare fits better than the 2007 spare, but will still need a spacer....and it will need to be more than 6 mm. With the 6mm spacers, the wheel hub will not sit down flat on the hub and I conveniently shaved off some red paint of my caliper when I was trying to see how much spacer I would need.
At least revlon red nail polish looks close enough to the color for the touchup ;)
I found the spacers above on that website after my original search started after one of the members told me what came in his SRT (2009) I think. This is supposedly the same spacer that comes in the Performance Spare kit (which supposedly Performance Spare also sells separately).

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Today I removed the Performance Spare tire (from Performance spare tire co.) I put in my '09 SRT a few years back. I was hoping to transfer it the RE I recently bought. Did a test fit and would not clear the bigger front Brembo's by just a hare. But there's a bit of irony here. Yesterday I removed the rear seat delete from the '09 to put in the RE at a later date and it was determined it saved 48l.bs. Guess what the performance spare and hardware weighed?.....47.5 lbs.!!! So net net it was a wash. If you want the comfort of having a "real" spare and want to keep car same weight, do a rear seat delete. LOL. Just FYI while I had the RE tire /rim off I weighed it. RE rim with stock P Zero (275/40) was right at 57 lbs.

You might be wondering why this became an issue or point of interest on my '09. Short story--- My wife and mother were out a few years ago in her RAV4 and she gets a for real, true blowout. Thank God it was the rear tire. The entire sidewall just disintegrated and shredded.(Dry rot?). I go and change tire. Next day replaced all tires with new B.F.Goodrich rubber. But then I thought "what if I got a blowout, not just a flat?" So I look up spares and found this co. Not cheap (@$300) but fit front and back perfect. They give you a jack but it's sh&*. I bought an OEM Mopar scissor jack off eBay (more money) that worked perfect. Does anyone know if Mopar makes a spare to fit over the huge Brembo's? Would a 300 SRT spare work?

Cool scale!

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #36
Yea my wife was big into antiques a few years ago. So we went to a store and I said "Finally something I could use!" ($50). I was told it was an old grain scale. It's totally mechanical linkage. No wires, plugs, or batteries. This thing is old and still accurate to the pound! I've tested it on many things. Def a good purchase. Lol.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Ok...I found the info and pics from the other forum regarding the spare tire debacle.

This is what he told me about the spacer, and these are the pics he sent me. He has a 2011 SRT 392, and his car came from the factory with a spare and spacer to fit over the front 4 piston Brembos.
Many thanks to Roostking....not sure if he's on this forum or not.

"3 inches to the tip of the lug, Spacer itself is 1 3/8 inches thick "

This place sells similar spacers you just have to pick the correct thickness.
https://adaptitusa.com/dodgechallengermagnumchargersrtsparewheelspacer.aspx

sparespacer1.jpg

sparespacer2.jpg

sparespacer3.jpg

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
You'll want to get hub centric adapters if you go that route. Lug centric will have your car shaking more than a one-piece driveshaft. I've purchased many wheel adapters from here over the years:

http://www.ezaccessory.com/Hub_Centric_Wheel_Adapter_5_Lug_115_to_5_Lug_115_p/5115-5115hc.htm

EDIT: I just noticed those are only listed as 1" thick. You can have them made to order with a specific thickness here: http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapter_5_Lug_Custom_Up_to_127mm_p/5000-5000.htm

Last edited:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
You'll want to get hub centric adapters if you go that route. Lug centric will have your car shaking more than a one-piece driveshaft. I've purchased many wheel adapters from here over the years:

http://www.ezaccessory.com/Hub_Centric_Wheel_Adapter_5_Lug_115_to_5_Lug_115_p/5115-5115hc.htm

EDIT: I just noticed those are only listed as 1" thick. You can have them made to order with a specific thickness here: http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapter_5_Lug_Custom_Up_to_127mm_p/5000-5000.htm
Great info, thanks! And that's a nice sale price too :)

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

Just ordered a pair. Had them add the hubcentric lip. Even found a coupon code online for another $10 off my order. Thanks again for the info.