Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Removed clear bra

Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Got home from work this morning and decided to take off the 3 year old clear bra. I was worried it would be a PIA ,but it so far is coming off with ease. The old bra looked nasty with all kind of blemishes and crap. Now it looks like a brand new paint job :)

Attachments

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I had mine wrapped @year ago. I didn't like it. The guy messed it up (not gonna go into details). So I pulled it off the next day. Brought it back and he redid it. He used some supposedly really high end stuff they use on Porsche's and OEM manufactures in strategic locations for rock chipping on the lower quarters and edges. Now it's available to wholesalers and public. It's called STEK (I believe) and it's 11M thick. He gave me an info pamphlet on it. It says the longer you leave it on the more it bonds and after several years you may remove paint if removed. Now I'm afraid to take off if I ever want to.

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
I had mine wrapped @year ago. I didn't like it. The guy messed it up (not gonna go into details). So I pulled it off the next day. Brought it back and he redid it. He used some supposedly really high end stuff they use on Porsche's and OEM manufactures in strategic locations for rock chipping on the lower quarters and edges. Now it's available to wholesalers and public. It's called STEK (I believe) and it's 11M thick. He gave me an info pamphlet on it. It says the longer you leave it on the more it bonds and after several years you may remove paint if removed. Now I'm afraid to take off if I ever want to.
You shouldn't have a problem now after one year. I still have the rest to do, but im beat from driving a gas truck all night. It is something I am looking forward to do. it really looks bad right now, alot of stuck on crap.I am the 2nd owner seems the original didn't get into cleaning it much.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
A hairdryer can help if it gets hard to pull off. Heat gun also works well, but you have to really know what you're doing ! Easy to apply too much heat & screw up the paint or warp the plastic bits.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Where the hell is my gas truck that was in the back yard??

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Got home from work this morning and decided to take off the 3 year old clear bra. I was worried it would be a PIA ,but it so far is coming off with ease. The old bra looked nasty with all kind of blemishes and crap. Now it looks like a brand new paint job :)

Did you use any heat at all? Or did you just start in a corner? (Also, was it hot outside and/or in direct sun?)

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
She got pretty hot when I started removing her bra. Good gal.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Replacing it with a new one?

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Did you use any heat at all? Or did you just start in a corner? (Also, was it hot outside and/or in direct sun?)
What he said..

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #10
OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #11
It was about 83 out but not in the sun. I still have yet to do the rest of it, I only got the top strip off.

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Steam is the way to go when removing it, those little sections are nothing, come talk after pulling a full hood! Most if not all PPF is 7-8 MIL thick, looks like Sun-Tek has an 11MIL film but gawd, I imagine that would suck on curvy areas!