Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Road Course Videos

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thread Starter #141
My most recent Hawk set did not taper. That was probably due to watching the small taper when installing them for the second and third racing weekends this year. I was very happy with them. They look just about like @TrackDay picture of his.

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Yeah...I plan on 'rotating' them between track days as well to help with that.

I was always hesitant to do the same with the Brembos, since they had the directional arrows on them. Last thing you want is something unexpected happening with your brakes while at speed...

You get them from Tire Rack? Or do you have a better source?

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #143

I was always hesitant to do the same with the Brembos, since they had the directional arrows on them. Last thing you want is something unexpected happening with your brakes while at speed...

Yes! Tire Rack for the win. They list them for like a Grand Cherokee, I would have to look. Best price unless someone else knows better.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I meant, do you know how much the Corvette club was paying, originally, to rent the track? And was it on a year contract (say 6 times per year) or "on call" zero-notice, etc...? Curious as to what they were charging if they seemed to not be able to keep the track viable (new owners raising it x3 would seem to be, possibly, not gouging but trying to keep the place open and turn a profit).

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #145
I meant, do you know how much the Corvette club was paying, originally, to rent the track? And was it on a year contract (say 6 times per year) or "on call" zero-notice, etc...? Curious as to what they were charging if they seemed to not be able to keep the track viable (new owners raising it x3 would seem to be, possibly, not gouging but trying to keep the place open and turn a profit).
They been doing it for over 25 years twice a year one config then the other config. They did not raise the price on the short config, but raised the price on the long by 3X. Bullshit, can’t be that far off recently to make a profit. New CFO is running the joint. Who is going to pay $1,000 plus for a day at the track on a Monday?? Just for a track fee for starters.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger

Watch for Hawk sales and rebates. They're pretty common, but haven't been watching this year. Tire Rack, KNS Brakes, and Hawk Pads Direct are the ones I watch.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
That'a a lot more meat than was left on my Brembos after 1 day at the Glen (4 half hour sessions). I also had significant taper. Leading edge was maybe half of that. Trailing end was roughly the same as your pic. (I'd post a pic, but they went in the trash the day after I returned)

Not sure if the Hawks would wear more evenly or not. Certainly going to give them a go...

Stock rotors are holding up surprisingly well...
I never ran my stock Brembo pads at high speed tracks. Ran them at M1, Nelson Ledges and Waterford Hills. They lasted forever there. As soon as I was running Brainerd and Road America I was running the Hawk DTC 60 and 70 pads. Normally the 70 pads at Brainerd had good life left after 2 days, but I'm wearing through them faster as I add more tire and downforce to the car and use the brakes harder and harder.
I need more cooling to help with pad temps. Fluid temp is less of an issue it seems, as I'm using titanium shims behind the pads and the front pistons are also titanium on the Viper calipers. Pedal never feels mushy if I bleed them well (meaning no mistakes with ABS purge, etc.) before a track weekend.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Fairly consistent for me. They last a few seasons. If I wanted, I could stomp the brakes harder and burn more metal. I don’t. Brake failure is not my preferred way to leave the track. I prefer engine and supercharger failures.:cool:
Hey if you’re gonna go, go big😂

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #149
I never ran my stock Brembo pads at high speed tracks. Ran them at M1, Nelson Ledges and Waterford Hills. They lasted forever there. As soon as I was running Brainerd and Road America I was running the Hawk DTC 60 and 70 pads. Normally the 70 pads at Brainerd had good life left after 2 days, but I'm wearing through them faster as I add more tire and downforce to the car and use the brakes harder and harder.
I need more cooling to help with pad temps. Fluid temp is less of an issue it seems, as I'm using titanium shims behind the pads and the front pistons are also titanium on the Viper calipers. Pedal never feels mushy if I bleed them well (meaning no mistakes with ABS purge, etc.) before a track weekend.
I had to use them for some reason last year or the year before. Wasted a set in one day at BIR.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
A summary of what it's like to drive a Hellcat on a fast road course with other cars. This is over about 8 sessions with my son and me driving.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #151
A summary of what it's like to drive a Hellcat on a fast road course with other cars. This is over about 8 sessions with my son and me driving.
That was great TD, never thought of putting it together that way.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Nice racing, great time. Had to smile at the Budweiser sign at track side... :)

About midway through that black VW on the front straight, you guys were obviously carrying a great positive delta V on him, but for what that car was it sure seemed he was hauling the freaking mail.

Thanks for sharing...

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
Trackday, really enjoyed watching you and your son on that track. Every corner has its challenges, but going around the second turn after the long straight at 130 plus mph - that perception of so much speed poised on the brink of maximum tire friction - and what might happen if you broke loose...well, I'm curious! Do many drivers spin out from too much speed at that turn? DGatzby, have you seen that happen?

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #154
Trackday, really enjoyed watching you and your son on that track. Every corner has its challenges, but going around the second turn after the long straight at 130 plus mph - that perception of so much speed poised on the brink of maximum tire friction - and what might happen if you broke loose...well, I'm curious! Do many drivers spin out from too much speed at that turn? DGatzby, have you seen that happen?
Saw a Corvette spin in front of me. Turn #2 BIR. Then I had to dodge the run away tire. It was totaled. Happens.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #155

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Saw a Corvette spin in front of me. Turn #2 BIR. Then I had to dodge the run away tire. It was totaled. Happens.
There is a wide radius turn at NCM that I've driven at 90-95 mph. The track is wide there and some grass on both sides. Another hellcat driver spun out there, but fortunately didn't go off into the weeds. It's really fun, but I admit feels right on the edge of losing it every time!

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #158
There is a wide radius turn at NCM that I've driven at 90-95 mph. The track is wide there and some grass on both sides. Another hellcat driver spun out there, but fortunately didn't go off into the weeds. It's really fun, but I admit feels right on the edge of losing it every time!
You know being on grass is more slippery than ice? Does not make for a good day at all.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
I have been lucky and have not seen anyone go off in Turn 1 or 2 at Brainerd Donnybrook in my sessions, but most other turns I've seen offs or spins.
I know if it was a race this car could go at least a little faster than 130 in Turn 1, but it's as fast as I want to go in my street car. It's close enough to a racing speed for me.
What I have to focus on is getting on the throttle sooner in a lot of the corners. Acceleration is what this car does best and in many places it's better to sacrifice some corner speed or to brake a little sooner to get on the gas sooner. My son does sim racing pretty much every night and that's where he gets me when we compare data in the car on track.