Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Ron Silva Breaks Stock Tune Demon 170 Record.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I have shallow pockets and live in the hood.
I put the emblems on layaway at k mart.
You still have a k mart, lucky

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
I have a challenge for you when you get your second car an I think your the guy to do it.

show us what a (pure stock D170) will do off the show room floor.
And compete with Cole? No way.

Plus that opens up another can of worms and rules and standards that people will find reasons to critisize. I could give you a few examples.......

The cars are delivered with extra Motor Oil in the crankcase. Can I drain this out? What if I change the oil and only put 6 quarts back in the engine?

What if my front tires are shaved down to the wear bars? What if my Back Tires are bald? What if the car was delivered with the Floor Matt still in the plastic bag in the trunk. Can I leave it back there? What if I pump the front tires up to 50 PSI? 60 PSI? What if I glue the back Tires to the rims to prevent them from moving on the rims? Some say this helps the 60 foot but I think that is bullcrap.

Then one member insists we post a copy of our PCM Calibration. You do realize that just doing this will void your warranty. Who is going to compensate me for this?

Nobody is happy. I think I will just do it my way. Just took the car in for a new Driveshaft. It was replaced with no questions asked and I was put in touch with the lead Engineer on the Demon 170 Development (not Jim Wilder). She oversaw everything.

Last edited:

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
THIS is how I do it. LOW RES.jpg

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Member ID
Reactions
City
Princeton
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 super stock
Keep doing it.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,

Plus that opens up another can of worms and rules and standards that people will find reasons to critisize. I could give you a few examples.......

The cars are delivered with extra Motor Oil in the crankcase. Can I drain this out? What if I change the oil and only put 6 quarts back in the engine?

What if my front tires are shaved down to the wear bars? What if my Back Tires are bald? What if the car was delivered with the Floor Matt still in the plastic bag in the trunk. Can I leave it back there? What if I pump the front tires up to 50 PSI? 60 PSI? What if I glue the back Tires to the rims to prevent them from moving on the rims? Some say this helps the 60 foot but I think that is bullcrap.

Then one member insists we post a copy of our PCM Calibration. You do realize that just doing this will void your warranty. Who is going to compensate me for this?

Nobody is happy. I think I will just do it my way. Just took the car in for a new Driveshaft. It was replaced with no questions asked and I was put in touch with the lead Engineer on the Demon 170 Development (not Jim Wilder). She oversaw everything.
Ron,

The only thing I want to know is how much does your car weigh. I think it is a fair question given that it is much liter than stock. You drive the car well, imo, keep rocking it !!!!!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go

All good points Ron. Do what's fun for you period and tune out the noise. Works good for me :) My 170 is at least a quart over filled with oil....very strange to me and it's triggering my OCD. I'm also seeing it PIG RICH on 93 octane and anything past about half throttle so there's that too.

Downloading the calibration does not void the warranty. No issues there and there'd be no way to tell anyway.

I have heard from very experienced people that preventing tire slip on the wheel does help the 60'. I used "high tack" gasket glue on my DRs on the Hellcat very effectively. They'd move a couple of inches a pass without it and almost zero with it. Prevents getting out of balance as well. Highly recommended: https://amzn.to/49hm5S6. Certainly can't hurt.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Ron,

The only thing I want to know is how much does your car weigh. I think it is a fair question given that it is much liter than stock. You drive the car well, imo, keep rocking it !!!!!
Honestly, I don't know. All I could do is take Redd, Ripa or Dusterhoff One Seat beginning weights adjust for fuel level and go from there and do the math. In the other fourum I listed weights, but the final weight has always been in flux. Because I added a #50 bag of sand very early on in the trunk and that has been in there up to the Dealer Visit. Now it runs the stock Battery, foam insert along with the air compressor for balast.

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
All good points Ron. Do what's fun for you period and tune out the noise. Works good for me :) My 170 is at least a quart over filled with oil....very strange to me and it's triggering my OCD. I'm also seeing it PIG RICH on 93 octane and anything past about half throttle so there's that too.

Downloading the calibration does not void the warranty. No issues there and there'd be no way to tell anyway.

I have heard from very experienced people that preventing tire slip on the wheel does help the 60'. I used "high tack" gasket glue on my DRs on the Hellcat very effectively. They'd move a couple of inches a pass without it and almost zero with it. Prevents getting out of balance as well. Highly recommended: https://amzn.to/49hm5S6. Certainly can't hurt.
I have never balanced a drag radial or slick. And been over 200 on them

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Hey Ron, congrats on the record. Always followed and rooted for you. I have never, ever heard of pulling a calibration voiding a warranty, it doesn’t involve unlocking the computer or anything. I wish you the best of luck

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Hey Ron, congrats on the record. Always followed and rooted for you. I have never, ever heard of pulling a calibration voiding a warranty, it doesn’t involve unlocking the computer or anything. I wish you the best of luck
I was confusing this with writing tunes and then returning to stock.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
No worries man! Looking forward to your journey, keep smashing the factory tune record!
I was confusing this with writing tunes and then returning to stock.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
you should go out and get er done
I plan to. But running at 5500ft it will be tough, lol. Esp since since Bandimere is no more! I have RSD but wasn't one of the favored few who got a shot at the OEM CF wheels on day 1 of ordering. I also don't know Tim K like some who got CF wheels magically added in June/July. Concierge says that these are NOT yet available via Direct Connect, despite the rumor/false info on here and other places that the 50K set offered are the OEM wheels. Call Dodge customer care and they will tell you the same. Sarah expects them to be "slightly above" the 11.5K window sticker price.

Anyhow we will be back east at sea level in 2025 and by then I hope to secure a set and do exactly as I mentioned. Mine will always be a bit heavier though since even after removing seats I'll still have one leather seat and some extra speaker/stereo weight. Maybe I'll go for the fastest rear seat delete, aluminum wheel time, lol. Would be a lot easier.

I'm in pretty good shape and on the right side of 200lbs so that will help counter some of the added weight (relative to a 1 seater with CFs). My son is even lighter and we plan to race it together which will be epic.

I'll just have to live vicariously through Cole for the next 18 months, lol

Rooting for u, bro!

Last edited:

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Congrats on the 170 Cole. That's a good looking car.
So far the OEM 170 record is Tom Taylors one seat aluminum wheel car.
It'll be fun to see what a carbon wheel car can do in OEM trim.
whats that record by Tom...et, mph?

OP
Demon Dan

Demon Dan

Member ID
Reactions
City
San Pedro
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon
Thread Starter #116

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
One factor no one is considering is natural variance based on production tolerances. These cars are not CLONES. Some cars, by pure chance, have a bit more HP, maybe come in a few pounds lighter and run just a tad faster than its assembly line sibling. Conversely, there will be D170s on the opposite tail of the normal distribution spectrum/curve that will be a bit heavier, have slightly less power and run a bit slower.

Pure luck of the draw which car you end up with (most of us will get Demons that are near the media/mean). This was definitely true back in the 60s and yes, it's less of a factor now due to improved manufacturing. However, to think zero such variance exists today is silly. It absolutely exists and when we are talking about deltas of .01 second it matters. Good/bad break-in could slightly help/hurt this dynamic as well.

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
Accept the challenge
It won’t be easy
You got this

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
One factor no one is considering is natural variance based on production tolerances. These cars are not CLONES. Some cars, by pure chance, have a bit more HP, maybe come in a few pounds lighter and run just a tad faster than its assembly line sibling. Conversely, there will be D170s on the opposite tail of the normal distribution spectrum/curve that will be a bit heavier, have slightly less power and run a bit slower.

Pure luck of the draw which car you end up with (most of us will get Demons that are near the media/mean). This was definitely true back in the 60s and yes, it's less of a factor now due to improved manufacturing. However, to think zero such variance exists today is silly. It absolutely exists and when we are talking about deltas of .01 second it matters. Good/bad break-in could slightly help/hurt this dynamic as well.
The other big difference is DA and barometer. Like you said being in Colorado you will always have to go elsewhere to run good numbers. Houston is gone now but it wasn't uncommon for them to get -1000 da or better during the winter months where you can go out and figure the car out more. The best thing about legions is everyone is at the same track same time

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock

I love what you’re doing Ron only wish I could be there to enjoy it with you all.