Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Rubber choice?

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I agree with @BULL, 7C is too cold for most summer tires & drag radials. As the temps drop below 50 (10C) they start to get real 'greasy' and they are all but useless @ 40 (5/6C).
You will do much better with something all season rated like the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06.

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
7C is waaaay too cold to be putting down any real power, whether you're in PZeros or not.
Boy, do I ever have a huge truckload of "THAT'S WHERE YOU'RE WRONG, KIDDO" for you.

To you:
QUOTE="salopian, post: 42843, member: 1200"]I don't think you can get nittos over here. Iv never herd of them before.[/QUOTE]
I will search around and see if Nittos are available in the United Kingdom

Forget the "gooey rubber as long as it's summer in Miami" tires. Get what I got in an identical climate to yours:

Nitto Motivo all season tires. 186 mph Y rated (not (Y) rated, as (Y) is OVER 186mph, though I am quite sure these tires can take anything this car can throw at them.

They grab harder, now listen to this gents, they grab harder in the rain than the Sticky Mickeys did in the dry, in this climate, not-far-from-freezing, but not too uncomfortable to wear a puffy jacket outside.

These suckers bite the pavement like their doctor ordered them to make a buffet of every road they find, in a bit-above-freezing weather, wet or dry.

I'm running 42PSI. They corner like a train just wishes it could, and they take convincing to cut loose.

I don't plan on ever owning any more Mickeys. The only other tires I would consider are other all-season tires, with maybe a (Y) speed rating, you know, just in case the car happens to go WOT for 30 seconds.

If I can find wheels that are an exact clone of my stock wheels, but 11" wide, on the rear, I would go for some in 315 width, which, with proper offset, do not touch fenders, inner or outer.

These are excellent tires. 100 percent recommended for those whose climate spends a while every year below 68 degrees.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
I don't think you can get nittos over here. Iv never herd of them before.
Further research: I think Nitto is owned by Toyo, so it is hard to get Nittos in the UK, as it seems aimed at the US market.

Glad I got the Nittos. Best tire I have ever experienced. Can you find a way to buy them and get them shipped? Maybe ask your local dealer to bring them in? Anyway, maybe Continental makes something close to as good.

Wow, I haven't found Conti Extreme Contact tires in the UK. I'm out of suggestions other than "get them special-ordered or imported directly to you."

Last edited:

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
Last edited:

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
This discussion is as old as the Hellcat.
Have used stock, MT's, Nittos, Michelin's.
Next go by, going back to the Nitto 555R's.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I have used Pirelli (PZero 275/40, PZero PZ4 305/35) , Nitto (555R 305/35, NT05 275/40 & 315/35), Toyo R888R 305/35, Michelin (Pilot Sport 305/35, Pilot Sport 4S 285/35, 295/35, 345/30)!! All on Hellcat regular and Widebody.

Let me say thus clearly: For the street; Michelin PS4S slams the door shut on all gimmicks listed above. Comes in a 305/35 or step up to the 345/30 in an aftermarket wheel in the WB. Comes in 275/40, 285/35 or 295/35, or on an aftermarket wheel 305/35 for regular body. That PZ4 the Widebody comes with OEM is NOT a bad tire either. Many are not giving them a chance.

Worst experience and values: NT05 and 555R
Worst tire listed for lots of reasons and most misunderstood: R888R

OP
salopian

salopian

Founding Member
Military Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Malvern
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
Challenger 2016
Thread Starter #28
I did put it down to being cold.

Thanks for recommendations I will read through and make a list and see what we can get over here.

Lord Hellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Barking
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
My Hellcat came with Pirelli summer tyres. Then I tried a set of Michelin Pilot Sports 285/35/20. Sidewalls way to soft and did not work on the car at all.
Now have Toyo R888R 285/35/20 and 305/35/20. The grip level is great but they are a noisy tyre. If you did not know any better you would think you had a problem with the back axle. PS4S might be the way to go.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
Went out last night in the cat. Been raining in the morn but the roads were pretty much dry and mild temperature 7 degrees.

Please tell me the Canadians were drunk when they picked the p zeros. Tickle the throttle and the rear just spins up. Even my mate who's not a car person said have you got some cheap Jackie chan tyres on.

Do these tyres need to be really warmed up on warm bone dry conditions?

What rubber you guys run. Need to be able to get in the UK
You’ll have better traction with Winter Tires than any All-Season or Summer performance tire in 7 degrees.

Blizzaks for example.

OP
salopian

salopian

Founding Member
Military Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Malvern
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
Challenger 2016
Thread Starter #31
Thanks for that. Michelin might be the next set then 👍

OP
salopian

salopian

Founding Member
Military Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Malvern
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
Challenger 2016
Thread Starter #32
I agree with @BULL, 7C is too cold for most summer tires & drag radials. As the temps drop below 50 (10C) they start to get real 'greasy' and they are all but useless @ 40 (5/6C).
You will do much better with something all season rated like the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06.
Went out this eve as its really mild and dry 8 degrees. Was 3-4 degrees on the way back.....going round a roundabout it was like driving on ice. :sneaky::(

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I took mine out today for a rare winter outing, it was 50F. The sun was shining and the car needed an outing and a bath...

Slicker than snot... (PZeros)

;)

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I took mine out today for a rare winter outing, it was 50F. The sun was shining and the car needed an outing and a bath...

;)
Yea, but those are (Slicker than snot) wet/dry/cold/hot/low or high pressure.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

;)
Yep, dipping into the low 40's here tonight. Garage will stay in the high 60's but the road & ambient temp will be around 50 when I go for my Sunday am cruise.
Will be minding my manners a bit more than usual to ensure I do not violate the 'prime directives' (1. shiny side up at all times 2. ditches are for water, not cars !).

Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Went out last night in the cat. Been raining in the morn but the roads were pretty much dry and mild temperature 7 degrees.

Please tell me the Canadians were drunk when they picked the p zeros. Tickle the throttle and the rear just spins up. Even my mate who's not a car person said have you got some cheap Jackie chan tyres on.

Do these tyres need to be really warmed up on warm bone dry conditions?

What rubber you guys run. Need to be able to get in the UdK
I live in Florida and won't have the P-0's on my Hellcat , heat isn't a factor they flat out suck. I run the Toyo R888R's on mine. They have a lot of grip, very secure in the turns. They are noisy and are good for about 10,000 miles. I have also ran Nitto NTO5r's and like them a lot , much better than Pirelli. I also like The Continental Extreme Contact Dry Wet's . They are a max performance summer tire great in the rain. None of these tire's are designed for cold weather driving. You may have to look into some of those French tires. If you see Hammond tell him the American Hellcat guys said good day !

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I run the Toyo R888R's on mine. They have a lot of grip, very secure in the turns. They are noisy...

Saying they are noisy may not be accurate....

Saying they squeal like a stuck pig is somewhat closer to the truth... :eek:

;)

Last edited:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I run the Toyo R888R's on mine. They have a lot of grip, very secure in the turns. They are noisy...
Saying they are noisy may not be accurate....

Saying they squeal like a stuck pig is somewhat closer to the truth... :eek:

;)
To me it sounds like you have four bad wheel bearings and all four are about to seize at any second. It sounds similar to four rear ends whining all at once. You cannot decern if your car has any other problems, because the tires are howling so loud. They even diminish the experience on a road course. Imagine the howl at over 100 mph and up to 165!

Last edited by a moderator: