Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

School me on the difference between 4WD vs AWD.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
With 4WD you get stuck farther out.

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
With 4WD you get stuck farther out.
Lol. I was driving from Albuq to Telluride in my Hummer H3T, relying on google directions...they took me to Purgatory parking lot, and then onto a very sketchy snowy "road". Right as I'm thinkin this is not right a ski patrol guy ran up to me and said that road is a pass only open in the summer, and he caught me cuz he figured the Hummer could actually get far enough to get me in real trouble, lol. Now as far as differences between awd and 4wd and how it all works, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one in the dark.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
In many ways, the full time systems of the Seventies pickups had many advantages, but people seemed to think that the mileage suffered so many were converted to basic 4x4 function. That meant eliminating the differential (spider and side gears) in the transfer case and installing manual hubs.

A basic 4X4 'case and manual hubs is about as simple and effective as it gets, but eventually the thought of having to lock and unlock hubs apparently became such a burden that people now prefer less reliable and weaker setups.

My first Power Wagon, a '76 didn't have a front driveshaft. The previous owner had removed it to "improve" his fuel economy. He had tossed the driveshaft at somepoint before I bought the truck. I was able to find a front shaft for it pretty easily back then, so I put it in becasue I actually wanted the 4wd to work. The whole time I owned that truck, it got 10 mpg 0-100, with or without the front shaft in. I owned a few Ramchargers over the years with and without the full time 4wd setup, and it never mattered.....10 mpg 0-100 was what I got for fuel economy. I do however prefer manual hubs and a lever operated transfer case.
My last Ram, a '14, had that "auto" 4wd selection on the dash, but I always left it in 2wd unless the weather was bad.
My current truck has a 2wd selection, so I use that.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fishers
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Charger Hellcat
AWD/4WD has a LOT of extra running gear, more costly, more expense, more stuff to break. The other question is, "Do you really need it, should you be out in that stuff?"

Another fact to consider is that if you don't have locking/limited slip front and rear differentials, you will NEVER have a true 4WD/AWD driveline.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Guess my Durango is AWD with 4x4 vs just 4x4? Not well versed in these systems.
I'd say that it's the other way around. It's a 4X4 with full time capability.

Interesting that this 4X4 subject came up, as I've been a four wheeler for most of my life and am much more familiar with those mechanicals than I am with what makes my Challenger tick.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
I'd say that it's the other way around. It's a 4X4 with full time capability.

Interesting that this 4X4 subject came up, as I've been a four wheeler for most of my life and am much more familiar with those mechanicals than I am with what makes my Challenger tick.
Thanks Jimmy...know nothing about it. Love the truck. Appreciate the info.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Interestingly enough the 4x4 Expedition EL I have has the automated transfer case (pneumatic I believe). Normally in 2WD, but has 4A which you can switch into on the fly and is variable torque split and unlocked, and 4H which engages the hub locks automatically below a certain speed (off road use only, 50/50 split locked), and then 4L, again locks hubs,50/50 split, requiring stepping into neutral and speed below 3 mph, off road, slow speed use only. Conversely, the AWD in MB S-class for example tends to have virtually no user interaction (all computer controlled) and be mainly geared (no pun intended) towards on road use and be mechanically streamlined so the vehicle chassis does not have to be jacked up to clear the components.

The Expedition EL is weird. There is one gearing for the regular length 2WD, another gearing for the EL (18" longer body)2WD and non-EL 4x4, and a third gearing for the EL 4x4.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
The Expedition EL is weird. There is one gearing for the regular length 2WD, another gearing for the EL (18" longer body)2WD and non-EL 4x4, and a third gearing for the EL 4x4.
It's a Ford. How could it not be weird?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
Not me. My 75' Powerwagon had some sort of full time 4 wheel drive up to a certain speed, then I believe the rear shaft was primary after 30mph.
Nope
It was full-time 4WD with a differential in the transfer case. Unlike foolish brand X 4WD's, you were always in maximum traction mode with the Power Wagons. Interestingly, it was a chain drive inside the transfer case, not a gear set. Fuel mileage was not what you would call "stellar" but driving in all conditions with no thought to whether you would be able to floor it was a good bonus. Also, you could put the transfer case in full neutral, not driving ANY wheels, useful for PTO situations.

The reason the Power Wagons of that era totally rocked, and were, to my mind, the high point in 4WD pickups in history, even to this day.

With a limited slip in the rear pumpkin, you were almost unstoppable.

Last edited:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Nope
It was full-time 4WD with a differential in the transfer case.
It should be added that the center diff could be locked, by shifting into Hi Lock or Lo Lock.

In some ways we have opened up a can of worms here, but transfer cases, hubs, and even CADs, are really quite simple.
Well, with the exception of the late model computer managed AWD stuff, that is.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
Yes, indeed. What a perfect truck the old Power Wagon was.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
FYI

Current gen PWs have selectable, electronic true locking-differentials.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Here is my Durango switch. Guess it is always in AWD? Bought it to flat tow and didn't realize AWD until after the fact.

20200121_111047.jpg

Excuse it being dirty.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Here is my Durango switch. Guess it is always in AWD? Bought it to flat tow and didn't realize AWD until after the fact.
Not always. Not if you put it in 4Hi, 4Lo, or Neutral, right?
Can't remember if putting it in Neutral made it flat towable or not, but I don't think so.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Not always. Not if you put it in 4Hi, 4Lo, or Neutral, right?
Can't remember if putting it in Neutral made it flat towable or not, but I don't think so.
Actually yes, putting the transfer case in neutral allows for flat towing as per owners manual. One shop made a statement about it being AWD and more complex...but I don't know. Bought at 88,500 miles now at 104,000 miles. Been a great adventure car on our camping trips. Actually love driving it (not as much as Hellcat though).

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Probably have flat towed it 12,000+ miles.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
What year is it?

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2003 Durango R/T...last year of the 5.9 magnum V8, at least for the Durango that is. Built on same chassis as Dakota.

20191124_123855.jpg

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Also typically 4WD was often a selectable drive mode for trucks between 2WD and 4WD, where as AWD cars are always AWD not a selectable drive mode.
Easiest answer!

Linda :)

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
This is the difference. 4 low with electronically locking front and rear diffs. This is my wagon at Rausch Creek Offroad park in PA