Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Scorpion All- Season tire pressure when cold

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
The first cold front hit my area about 2 weeks ago after days in the 80's and nights around 60, we finally hit into the 30's & 40's at night.The DSRT was sitting in the heat, then cold. Upon start up the temps on the tires were 25/26. I could only warm them up to 28/29 even AFTER it got back up to the 70's during the day.

I aired them up to 34 at the service station, but the readings still read 33, which is the spec settings. Saturday nite got really cold, into the teens. When I rolled out for my snow excursion, they were at 31.

I'm out again today. 31psi at start up, sunny but high only 34 degrees.

Anyone have psi issues transitioning from warm to cold weather temps?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I don't remember the percentage of psi change relative to temperature, but it can be significant.
Especially if the air in the tires have a fair amount of humidity. Not all unlikely in Florida, right?

Anyway, we often have 50 degree swings between morning and evening, and my girlfriend used to be concerned when the dash lit up. I told her to just drive and the warnings would go away.
Eventually she got used to it.

This time of year I do have to add a bit in most vehicles, as it can be single digits in the morning and not get over 40.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
^^^^^ Same here in the Northeast. When the temp starts dipping in late fall most of our vehicles need to be aired up. Normal.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I used to have similar issues when I lived in Mich, but in FL the temp swings are not as extreme nor does it dip as low, so the tire temps are more stable.
Every 10 deg. can lower/raise tires by 1 - 2 PSI !

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I usually adjust mine seasonally. Add in fall and again in winter. Bleed in spring an again in summer. (Michigan)

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
The first cold front hit my area about 2 weeks ago after days in the 80's and nights around 60, we finally hit into the 30's & 40's at night.The DSRT was sitting in the heat, then cold. Upon start up the temps on the tires were 25/26. I could only warm them up to 28/29 even AFTER it got back up to the 70's during the day.

I aired them up to 34 at the service station, but the readings still read 33, which is the spec settings. Saturday nite got really cold, into the teens. When I rolled out for my snow excursion, they were at 31.

I'm out again today. 31psi at start up, sunny but high only 34 degrees.

Anyone have psi issues transitioning from warm to cold weather temps?
Usually... you'll get differing compression based on cold temps and it does not make sense to me. The math should be a perfectly predictable curve but small leaks, small over pressures, temp effects on sensors can give different tires different results. Go figure.

Lize

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bury St Edmunds
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye
Our tyre shops promote the use of nitrogen filling, its supposed to maintain more even pressure due to not having water content. The problem with it though is the quality of the shop equipment and the purity they actuall put in. I have it in one car the it still fluctuates with temperature but a bit less than air, I guess it would make more difference in a humid climate.

The only time I see pressure drop is when it turns cold and I always have to add extra (in both air and nitrogen cars) but never have to let any out when it warms up again. I've never quite understood that because it never changes when weather is consistently warm.

Our summer say 75, winter down to 30.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I have it in one car the it still fluctuates with temperature but a bit less than air, I guess it would make more difference in a humid climate..
That's because all gasses are subject to Boyles Law, no matter what the people peddling nitrogen tells you.
Which is only one reason I run only 78% nitrogen in my tires.

Lize

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bury St Edmunds
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye
That's because all gasses are subject to Boyles Law, no matter what the people peddling nitrogen tells you.
Which is only one reason I run only 78% nitrogen in my tires.
I've recently given up with it, think its all a con, quicker to spot a bit of air in myself than mess about going to a shop and particularly as the local one I was friendly with and used to do it for free has closed down and we don't have high humidity to worry about.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
It is a con, I think.
Besides, if air leaks out faster than nitrogen as they claim, you'll eventually have only nitrogen in the tires whether you want it or not.

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger
1 PSI change for every 12 degrees F. Ignore what the pressure is when the tire is heated up. The stated on placard is for a "COLD" tire which means the tire is at the ambient temperature where the tire is. Depending on the season here "COLD" may be 95F or 0F or even greater difference.

OP
Purerock105

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
Okie dokie. So far so good. It's been 2 weeks since I aired them up and the DSRT just sits at the WM DC for days at a time. We've had lows in the mid 20's and highs only around 60.

It seems to be that first serious cold freaked them out. Maintaining 32/33.

OP
Purerock105

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
Gratuitous DSRT pic...😂 Also had a warehouse guy say "nice truck". That still cracks me up. Truck. 20200927_131539.jpg

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I've heard people refer to S-10s as "trucks", and even Trackhawks.
Must be something in the water.