Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Security update

OP
Octanewide

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Thread Starter #41
Just what I was told, by the dealer.

We all know how reliable they are...

Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yeah, I've had 2 guys that's already had it done with extra FOB's programmed and they have had no problems..

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
Octanewide

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Thread Starter #42
I had the RF hub lock out done today. Took 2 extra FOB's in to be programmed. Everything went perfect and was in and out in about 1 hour..

Last edited:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Lemon laws only apply to safety issues.
Lemon laws vary by state, but most are quite broad. Texas for instance covers new vehicles, including cars, trucks, vans, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, motor homes, towable recreational vehicles (TRVs), and neighborhood electric vehicles that develop a defect(s) covered by a manufacturer’s written warranty (this is key). Demonstrator vehicles that have not been previously titled are considered new vehicles. The law does not cover repossessed vehicles, non-travel trailers, boats, or farm equipment. Nor does it cover defects that do not substantially impair the use or market value of the vehicle such as minor rattles, radio static, etc.

There are, in Texas, 3 tests to see if it is covered:

Four-times test

If you have taken the vehicle to a dealership for repairs four times for the same defect within the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first, and the defect is still not repaired.

Serious safety-hazard test

A serious safety hazard is a life-threatening malfunction that substantially impedes your ability to control or operate the vehicle normally or that creates a substantial risk of fire/explosion. You pass the serious safety-hazard test if you have taken the vehicle for repair of a serious safety hazard during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first, and the defect is still not repaired.

30-day test

If you have had your vehicle out of service for a total of 30 days or more - not necessarily all at one time - during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles (if a comparable loaner vehicle was provided while the vehicle was being repaired, that time does not count toward the 30 days) a substantial defect still exists, and this test is passed.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Security related, as far as parking at a dealer goes.

Today I got the second email from Uconnect about an issue with my '21 Challenger GT, somethings that's been in the works since early March.

They want me to effectively add about 40% onto the current mileage just for the dealer to verify that the issue exists, and to open a star case. Who knows how many more trips it would then take to get it fixed.

I asked the dealer if I could trailer the car down there and they could keep it until the issue was fixed, as long as it was done before the snow starts falling again. The service advisor did not want it in their parking lot, even overnight.

I've started to look for a '22 in the same color.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
I had the RF hub lock out done today. Took 2 extra FOB's in to be programmed. Everything went perfect and was in and out in about 1 hour..

bringing in mine next Friday. They told me they can make me a 4th keyfob but no more (I have the original 3). Moreover, they said I can only have 2 red and 2 black total. I have 2 red now and don't want a second black. I can't get a 3rd red? Seems dumb. Guess ill be careful. Oh, both batteries from my extra unused keys are dead. Will swap those out too.

OP
Octanewide

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Thread Starter #46
bringing in mine next Friday. They told me they can make me a 4th keyfob but no more (I have the original 3). Moreover, they said I can only have 2 red and 2 black total. I have 2 red now and don't want a second black. I can't get a 3rd red? Seems dumb. Guess ill be careful. Oh, both batteries from my extra unused keys are dead. Will swap those out too.
They are wrong. I now have 5 FOB's programmed to my Cat.. 3 red and 2 black.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
They are wrong. I now have 5 FOB's programmed to my Cat.. 3 red and 2 black.

Dealers suck. We always seem to have more correct information than they do.

OP
Octanewide

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Thread Starter #48
Dealers suck. We always seem to have more correct information than they do.
By far. This dealer I go to is very good as far as knowledge about Hellcats which is rare around here.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
I talked to both Dodge Cares and the Recall Dodge agents - and neither could regenerate my lost letter which I thought said these security updates are free of charge. I'm pretty sure they were said to be free of charge, and I found a post on another forum that said they were.

As if that isn't confusing/frustrating enough, the recall agent said my VIN was a "late 2019" model Hellcat and therefore wasn't included in any 'needed security upgrades'" - specifically the Valet Mode part of it - and wasn't eligible for a no-charge key fob lockdown. I think both he, and the Dodge cares agent, really don't know what they're talking about - and both refused to escalate my phone conversation to their supervisors. Why would I have been sent a letter in the first place if what these agents said is true about my VIN being in a "no need" category? I think they aren't correctly informed - they had to put me on hold to find out what I was asking about - and I think it is true my car should be in this program. Confusion is amplified because the Valet Mode part of this itself was recalled after they put it out last August. It's so screwed up it can cause check engine lights and remote starting problems - plus, if you disconnect the car's battery for about five minutes the upgraded Valet Mode protection resets as if you didn't put in your four digit code that would unlock more than 3 HP and idle RPM. So the Valet Mode upgrade is presently a no-go item - we should all forget about it.

Which leaves the key fob lockdown. These agents told me dealerships have the option of charging to do it, which I think is also not true. They will charge for adding fobs, but they shouldn't for just flashing the PCM to lock down our existing keys. I'll pursue this some more in a couple of weeks, but for now I'm just sick of the lack of clarity displayed by these agents who are supposed to know, IMHO, far more about this subject - and tired of talking to the wall.

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
Just what I was told, by the dealer.

We all know how reliable they are...

Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I know this may be hard to believe but not everyone tells the truth all the time. Dealer may be short-handed, may be too busy to schedule this, may not have extra FOBs in stock, may want to devote their service time to purchase customers (or at least temporarily) and on and on. Amazing how people think dealers are unscrupulous yet believe every word they say.

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
As if that isn't confusing/frustrating enough, the recall agent said my VIN was a "late 2019" model Hellcat and therefore wasn't included in any 'needed security upgrades'" - specifically the Valet Mode part of it
The Valet Mode no longer exists, it was recalled shortly after implementation.

Which leaves the key fob lockdown. These agents told me dealerships have the option of charging to do it, which I think is also not true.
The RF Hub update is free. See attached. You would have received one of these letters if you are eligible for it.

Attachments

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
I know this may be hard to believe but not everyone tells the truth all the time. Dealer may be short-handed, may be too busy to schedule this, may not have extra FOBs in stock, may want to devote their service time to purchase customers (or at least temporarily) and on and on. Amazing how people think dealers are unscrupulous yet believe every word they say.
Yeah... it doesn't really apply, to me, anyway. Just what I was told.

Don't need another fob and I've figured out better ways, to disable my vehicle, than letting these rubes tinker with any more of my 1's and 0's. There is always some shit that gets boogered, with their "updates". Disabled my car's cell, for just this reason.

I have a good relationship, with my dealer. They know not to touch anything outside of the scope of work the car is in for. Haven't had any issues, since we came to this understanding .

06SRT10NR

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Knobnation
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat M6
Huh? Are we talking about the same thing? I have a 2018 and received a letter then confirmed with the dealer and they said yes bring it in. This for
TSB 08-087-22

that's the one. day I was in it hadn't yet shown up in dealerconnect. latest service manager [new one every few months lately, this one an actual wrench turner], willing to do it, but recommended against, at least for now [wasn't going to have it done anyway]. said it does very little not covered by basic common sense. also, confirmed what many uf us already knew, 5 key fob limit

finally got a demon compatible radio delivered, on the 6th or 7th attempt [lost track]. but, rather than ship the correct part numbered radio, as confirmed by a couple demon owners who'd already had theirs replaced, and a couple dealerships that'd replace a few, uconnect took a new unprogrammed radio, installed the correct firmware/software package, gave it a new part number, and shipped it in place of the correct part that's been ordered several times. makes ya wonder just how many brain cells make up the combined intellect of the O2 thieves at uconnect

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Got my key fobs re-coded yesterday. They insisted I could only get 4 (not 5) though and that it was a max of 2 red. So I decided against getting a second black. I also got the oil changed and much to my surprise they did it at no charge. The manager without much fanfare said, you've been through enough with the fires, and this one is on us. Very cool and very much not what I expected to hear. The dealership is run well by the service manager who is a true gearhead who actually races Dodges for fun. I offered to give him a post-service ride in the Demon. He smiled and said thanks but no thanks. His shift was ending and he had to leave. Next time...

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
The Valet Mode no longer exists, it was recalled shortly after implementation.

The RF Hub update is free. See attached. You would have received one of these letters if you are eligible for it.
I appreciate you posting the letter. Yep, I got that letter, but I have lost it somehow. When I spoke with both the Dodge Cares and then the Dodge Recall reps a couple of weeks ago (two different phone numbers) both reps told me, without further explanation, they didn't have the authority to resend me the letter for the free fob lockdown. I just don't get that at all - other than to guess that since the new Valet Mode mod was recalled the letter isn't supposed to be resent.

Those two guys didn't know anything about it when I called - both put me on hold while they researched things. They also refused to escalate me to a supervisor who hopefully would have the lowdown.

I'll probably call again in a week or two to both those numbers and try once more to get to the bottom of the key fob lockdown offer.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Always the option of a law suit. Just need the paper work on hand to confirm what they said initially, and to check all the fine print...

You can lie if you put an asterisk. Evidently.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Any reason this doesn't apply to all years? Maybe the 2018 and up PCM changes have a security flaw the earlier years do not, OR they're just addressing the newer ones?

06SRT10NR

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Knobnation
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat M6
Any reason this doesn't apply to all years? Maybe the 2018 and up PCM changes have a security flaw the earlier years do not, OR they're just addressing the newer ones?
I seem to recall they started with the newest, and are working their way backward one model year at a time

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Gotcha. I probably won't have them mess with mine I was just curious. Gonna be a lot of used cars out there with one key fob and buyer screwed getting extras I bet.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Updating this thread...Just watched Racer X's latest video on how often - and brazenly in broad daylight - our cars are being stolen. Carjacked, carted off with a truck lifting the rear end, broken into and put into neutral and pushed away, or the key fob code simply read right from the car's module, then started and driven away.

I had called Dodge Cares last May/June to try and get my letter regenerated which said the Key Fob Module Lockdown (software and labor) at my dealership is free. I'd gotten the letter in late 2020 and my car was stored for winter so no action taken at that time. Of all the things I ever misplaced...sheesh. Anyway, back then I got the runaround by Dodge Cares and no resolution. It was like this letter had sunk into a black hole - and maybe that was because the OTHER software feature they started doing - the four digit code to enable full power in the Valet Mode - had proven so screwed up they'd retracted it.

So I just called Dodge Cares again to see about the Key Fob Module lockdown. At least this time the agent was able to find something in their records about the free module lockdown for big engine Challengers and Chargers years 2015-2022 - but not my specific car's VIN - and therefore couldn't regenerate my original letter (the exact same one I got is posted in this thread, just with that owner's VIN) which my dealer's service manager says I MUST show him to get this done for free - he'll charge me if I can't produce it). It has been escalated to a "supervisor callback", supposedly within 24 hours.

I'm interested in fellow forumites who had the lockdown performed chiming in on how it has been working, are they glad they did it, and would they do it again. Has anyone had their car started by thieves even with the lockdown performed?

I'll close by reiterating that I have my three original fobs (2 red, 1 black), but IF I lost them and needed to replace them with this lockdown I could not. But we can have a deeper part replaced - I think about $600 parts and labor - that would restore the car to original reprogrammable fob status.